• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-2018 NBA Regular Season Thread

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just posted this on the Heat boaed.....

16 points on 20 shots (35% shooting) in 26 minutes for Wade.

15 points on 10 shots (60% shooting) in 28 minutes for Tyler

30 points on 22 shots (54% shooting) in 22 minutes for Dragic

Point I'm trying to make is why the hell is Wade taking so many shots as a freaking bench player? I don't know what Spo or the front office told him when they acquired him back but they're clearly treating this guy like this is 2016 and he is the man again. What a joke

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Point I'm trying to make is why the hell is Wade taking so many shots as a freaking bench player? I don't know what Spo or the front office told him when they acquired him back but they're clearly treating this guy like this is 2016 and he is the man again. What a joke

This team failed flagrantly this year. I still don't understand why we brought Wade back - I understand why we did it - but I don't understand, if you catch what I'm saying.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't usually pay attention to what Shaun King says - dude's one of the biggest race baiters I've ever seen.

Focusing on the topic at hand though, this isn't a surprising response from the NCAA. I also don't feel bad for the student athletes though. Most of these kids get to leave college with a 4-year degree and zero student loan debt. I have colleagues that are still paying off $20-$30k loans on average.

Problem with making paying athletes a thing is opening up Pandora's box. Schools can start to rescind scholarships and treat these kids like employees instead. Means the IRS starts coming in - it also opens up more and more bidding wars. Which on the latter happens anyway.

There is no sure-fire way to fix this. But I'd personally take a chunk of what the NCAA is getting and give to the athletes and put it in a trust that the kid's can get the minute they graduate from school or leave early to the NFL which is monitored by multiple parties.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team failed flagrantly this year. I still don't understand why we brought Wade back - I understand why we did it - but I don't understand, if you catch what I'm saying.

I was all for him coming back if we were going to treat him for what he is. A washed legend who is now a role player. Needed another SG after Waiters opted for surgery but man they're not using him right.

The next 8 games will make or break the Heat. 7 of 8 at home. Need to find a way to win 6 of those games

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Porzingis says he's tired and needs rest, tears his ACL.

Butler says he needs rest and sits out the ASG, (likely) tears his ACL

Seems like if your players are saying they are tired, you should probably scale back their minutes and/or sit them a couple of games.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So f**king sick of big names going down with major injuries. Seriously affecting my enjoyment of the season.
If Butler is done for the season, then half of the current West playoff teams(Spurs, Wolves, Nuggets, Pelicans) will have a recent all star either out for the season or been injured for most of the season. And in the East Hayward barely played and Love is still out for a while. It's been really bad.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Butler is done for the season, then half of the current West playoff teams(Spurs, Wolves, Nuggets, Pelicans) will have a recent all star either out for the season or been injured for most of the season. And in the East Hayward barely played and Love is still out for a while. It's been really bad.
But wait there's more! Porzingis, Conley, Wall, probably more I can't remember

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raptors resume action tonight vs. the Bucks. Should be an interesting 2nd half for them. Can they stay #1 in the East or do Cleveland or Boston catch them?
They can finish 1st or 4th and it probably won't matter if they face the Cavs.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So f**king sick of big names going down with major injuries. Seriously affecting my enjoyment of the season.
Clippers fans say shutty.

Welcome to my world EVERY SEASON.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Porzingis says he's tired and needs rest, tears his ACL.

Butler says he needs rest and sits out the ASG, (likely) tears his ACL

Seems like if your players are saying they are tired, you should probably scale back their minutes and/or sit them a couple of games.

This makes sense for Butler but not KP. Butler is 2nd in MPG at nearly 38. KP on the other hand was tied for 43rd in MPG so that's a lame excuse in his case.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Trying to sell more tickets for the rest of the season.
Plus, he was essentially free.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem with making paying athletes a thing is opening up Pandora's box. Schools can start to rescind scholarships and treat these kids like employees instead. Means the IRS starts coming in - it also opens up more and more bidding wars. Which on the latter happens anyway.

^^^This right here.^^^

I am all for paying athletes if a way can be found that is fair and that will go a long way towards curtailing some of the activity that's going on behind the scenes.

The problem is, how do you come up with a payment system that will fairly pay every player in every sport. It's not just the football and basketball players. The baseball players, track and field athletes, female athletes, swimmers, etc., etc. will also have to be paid.

There is still no guarantee that players will turn down extra money from agents. I mean, who turns down getting more money? We have NBA players making $30 million a year and still looking for more more money. Why would some kid that is being paid minimum wage for playing (or whatever they work out) turn down additional money?

How do you address family members and friends taking money from agents/schools to influence the kids choices? Sure, you're paying the kid, but that kid has friends, families and even coaches with their hands out.

In the FBI probe into college basketball, there are 3 USC players named, (DeAnthony Melton, Bennie Boatwright and Chimezie Metu). From what has been released so far, it looks like in each case, it was a family friend, a "mentor" or a family member who received money/benefits and the players may not have even been aware of it.

As for the scholarships, schools already rescind scholarships for a variety of reasons. This would just add another layer to it.

Part of the problem, imo, is the one and done. You have a kid who is only going to school because he has to. So he's likely not all that invested in the program. Why wouldn't that kid take money?

Last edited:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trying to sell more tickets for the rest of the season.
Plus, he was essentially free.

Yep. I have no issue with them bringing him back since it was free. Just hate the way they're using him.

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You shut your god damn mouth