• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-2018 EPL Season Thread

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barkley to Chelsea... Guess I was hoping against hope we could/would keep him, but was always unlikely as just too much had gone on... Ross Barkley was actually the player that drew me to be an Everton fan initially. No, this move will NOT make me a Chelsea fan (Though it would probably be more fun.). :D

rsw626

Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, Barkley is good but not great. Too inconsistent for my taste. I'm of the opinion that if he were not English, there wouldn't be any hype around him. But it's par for the course with the English media, anytime an English player is remotely good, all of the sudden he's world class, and the second coming.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cotinho to Barcelona for a huge transfer fee. Knew that was coming.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barkley to Chelsea... Guess I was hoping against hope we could/would keep him, but was always unlikely as just too much had gone on... Ross Barkley was actually the player that drew me to be an Everton fan initially. No, this move will NOT make me a Chelsea fan (Though it would probably be more fun.). :D

IMO, Barkley is good but not great. Too inconsistent for my taste. I'm of the opinion that if he were not English, there wouldn't be any hype around him. But it's par for the course with the English media, anytime an English player is remotely good, all of the sudden he's world class, and the second coming.

I was a little surprised to see Barkley go to Chelsea. I thought they had a deal in place in the summer that he rejected. I also thought Spurs would try to go after him, but to be honest, I'm not sure he would have cracked the starting lineup much. Certainly not over Alli or Eriksen.

Cotinho to Barcelona for a huge transfer fee. Knew that was coming.

Prior to the season, I thought this would be devastating for Liverpool, but Salah has been tremendous and I'm not sure L-Pool will be hurt much by the move. Might actually help them if they can use the cash to shore up their leaky defense. I guess in a way they already did that with the Van Dijk deal.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a little surprised to see Barkley go to Chelsea. I thought they had a deal in place in the summer that he rejected. I also thought Spurs would try to go after him, but to be honest, I'm not sure he would have cracked the starting lineup much. Certainly not over Alli or Eriksen.

Prior to the season, I thought this would be devastating for Liverpool, but Salah has been tremendous and I'm not sure L-Pool will be hurt much by the move. Might actually help them if they can use the cash to shore up their leaky defense. I guess in a way they already did that with the Van Dijk deal.

Keita comes next summer from Leipzig too to Liverpool. Question: I heard, but maybe I am wrong, is Coutinho not allowed to play in UCL games since the Transfer was in the winter? Are there rules for these mid season transfers?

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keita comes next summer from Leipzig too to Liverpool. Question: I heard, but maybe I am wrong, is Coutinho not allowed to play in UCL games since the Transfer was in the winter? Are there rules for these mid season transfers?

Good question, I do not know.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It could be something where he can't play against Liverpool.

I know a few years ago when Courtois was on loan from Chelsea. He was not allowed to play against them when he was at Atletico Madrid

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good question, I do not know.

Based on this article, seems like there is some sort of rule where you can't participate for 2 different teams during the same season of Champions League

Coutinho’s move means he will be ineligible to play in the Champions League due to having featured in the competition for Liverpool already.

Barcelona news: Philippe Coutinho told missing Champions League will be GOOD for him

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reading Chelsea made a bid for Vidal. So far Bayern is rejecting it but I am pretty sure this is probably his last season at Bayern and he will move on next summer then. Maybe to Chelsea then as Conte is fond of getting him there. I am ok with that if (when?) Goretzka is coming.

rsw626

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's Cup tied to Liverpool. Any player that plays even 1 minute in a non league competition (UCL, Europa, FA Cup, etc) for a team, he is tied to that team for the duration of that competition, meaning he cannot play for another team in that same competition, however, had he gone to someplace like say Villareal or Milam, he would be eligible to play in the Europa League (I believe)

Also, I believe in the case of Alexis Sanchez, if he does transfer to Man City, he won't be able to play in the FA Cup as he's already played in it for Arsenal.

Cup tying (or lack of) is usually a good indicator if a player will be transferred or not, in the past, there have been players suspiciously absent form early UCL matches, which almost always indicates that his team is in talks with another team in the same competition and they are trying to avoid cup tying him as it can reduce his price.

Last edited:

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if a player has played in a tournament already, then transfers to another club in the same tournament, then that player is "cup tied". Coutinho won't be playing in CL.

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Liverpool is tearing up City...

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Harry Kane is having an awesome year and he's English and all, but my MVP right now is Mohamed Salah. Holy shit that kid is on fire right now. Pretty much a no-brainer that Liverpool let Coutinho go with Salah playing so well in Coutinho's early season absence (oh...and all that money).

I heard that Coutinho actually paid 15M of his own money to make the Barca deal work.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Harry Kane is having an awesome year and he's English and all, but my MVP right now is Mohamed Salah. Holy shit that kid is on fire right now. Pretty much a no-brainer that Liverpool let Coutinho go with Salah playing so well in Coutinho's early season absence (oh...and all that money).

I heard that Coutinho actually paid 15M of his own money to make the Barca deal work.

Yeah, Liverpool is definitely looking like a winner for letting Coutinho go. Don't think they'll take a step back and they can use some of that windfall to shore up their defense (though Klopp might just buy more strikers...)

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arsenal looked like hot garbage w/o Sanchez and Ozil. No way the team that was on the pitch over the weekend can play them into the top 4.

Looks to be a 4-squad race for places 2-4 now, and I can't really see any of them having a big fall-off any time soon. Should be entertaining till the end.

rsw626

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arsenal looked like hot garbage w/o Sanchez and Ozil. No way the team that was on the pitch over the weekend can play them into the top 4.

Looks to be a 4-squad race for places 2-4 now, and I can't really see any of them having a big fall-off any time soon. Should be entertaining till the end.
Yeah. But I've said it before and will keep saying ti, Arsenal's problem hasn't been going forward/scoring, it's that they have no spine. If you look at the "Invincibles" squad, yes they had Henry, Bergkamp, Pires etc. But the difference was they had guys like Viera, Lauren, Silva, Campbell etc down the middle in defense and midfield.

I look for announcements the next few days, I think Ozil ends up in Italy or back in Germany. Sanchez is tough to say, he could go to Man City, Man United, or going by recent reports Liverpool, but he could also end up in Italy or Germany.