• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-18 Bundesliga

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know they do mid week matchday's at least twice before the winter break, but isn't this a little early for the mid week matchday? Or is it because of Oktoberfest, and Oktoberfest is early this year?

Bayern plays on Friday too vs Wolfsburg. Two weekday games this week although there always seem to be at least one game on Friday. I like the weekday games better as it gives me an excuse to get out of work for a bit.
No Robben now tomorrow either.

rsw626

Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know they do mid week matchday's at least twice before the winter break, but isn't this a little early for the mid week matchday? Or is it because of Oktoberfest, and Oktoberfest is early this year?
see my post above:

"to make up for the lost week during International breaks, in this case UEFA WC qualifying, to stay on track so to speak, since they also have a winter break."

In a normal season, they would have played League games the weekend of the 1st-3rd, but they had to shift matches to allow for International games, in this case UEFA World Cup Qualifying. which took place that whole weekend.

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
see my post above:

"to make up for the lost week during International breaks, in this case UEFA WC qualifying, to stay on track so to speak, since they also have a winter break."

In a normal season, they would have played League games the weekend of the 1st-3rd, but they had to shift matches to allow for International games, in this case UEFA World Cup Qualifying. which took place that whole weekend.

I saw that, but my question was about the timing of the mid week matchday. Not the why.

rsw626

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me ask it a different way. Does the first midweek matchday always happen in the 5th fixture? Or does it happen later, say the 6th, 7th or 8th fixture?
Historically the Bundesliga doesn't have that many midweek League matches. Here's an srticle about if rom a few years ago.

Jürgen Klopp: Mired in the Bundesliga's 'English week' | Sports | DW | 23.09.2014

a couple of interesting sentences:

"While mid-week league games are common in England, they are a bit of a curiosity in the Bundesliga. "

"In the Bundesliga, mid-week games are considered so much an export of the Premier League they're known as "English weeks" in Germany."

I don't think there is a "set in stone" time/date they usually do them i.e. always the 5th, 6th or 7th matchday, I think it just depends season by season, this season it coincided with the International break a couple of weeks ago. Germany, like Spain and Italy and unlike England, try to schedule as few midweek games as possible, in order to lessen match congestion and to help their teams that are playing in Europe (UCL ans Europa).

On rare occasions, a German team may have 3-4 fixtures in a short amount of time, say 10 days, but again those are rare as opposed to England where it's normal, and usually ends up hurting their teams in Europe, and even in domestic cups like the FA Cup or League Cup.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Neuer...no problem. Ulreich made a nice save today on a partial breakaway. James had his best game by far. Leipzig loses to Augsburg too. Ouch. Always the year after you move up can be difficult as teams start to figure you out.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't pay attention to this league much but can Dortmund challenge Bayern?

rsw626

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe they can. Of course, I said the same thing last year and they didn't come close to challenging them.
New manager this year, and even with the loss of Dembele, they seem to be clicking right now. They need to keep their foot on the gas now and also hope Bayern drop more points, which is possible with Neuer out until January, though BM did look good a couple days ago without him. It may come down to the result of the head to head matches between those two.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New manager this year, and even with the loss of Dembele, they seem to be clicking right now. They need to keep their foot on the gas now and also hope Bayern drop more points, which is possible with Neuer out until January, though BM did look good a couple days ago without him. It may come down to the result of the head to head matches between those two.

Looks like it will be down to those two. They have yet to concede a goal but had that stinker versus Freiburg as they seem to do occasionally against lesser opponents. Bigger teams such as we saw with the Spurs will give them trouble and they may be vulnerable to counter attacking teams but they are going to score a lot of goals. Luckily the Bundesliga doesn't have that many bigger teams. Bayern I worry about age and their back end a bit. They gave a up a few too many good opportunities against Schalke and we saw the same miscues against Hoffenheim which punished them for it when Neuer was in net even. But they will dominate most every Bundesliga opponent most likely and others will have to hope for more defensive miscues to beat them. If James keeps playing like the last game it will be even tougher.

rsw626

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like it will be down to those two. They have yet to concede a goal but had that stinker versus Freiburg as they seem to do occasionally against lesser opponents. Bigger teams such as we saw with the Spurs will give them trouble and they may be vulnerable to counter attacking teams but they are going to score a lot of goals. Luckily the Bundesliga doesn't have that many bigger teams. Bayern I worry about age and their back end a bit. They gave a up a few too many good opportunities against Schalke and we saw the same miscues against Hoffenheim which punished them for it when Neuer was in net even. But they will dominate most every Bundesliga opponent most likely and others will have to hope for more defensive miscues to beat them. If James keeps playing like the last game it will be even tougher.
Yeah, James has looked good so far, and I think he's a great addition to the team, and let's be honest, as good as Ribery is, he's aging and has been injury prone the last few seasons.

Do you think Bayern will go after Sanchez from Arsenal, seeing as that they don't normally like to pay huge transfer fees, and they could get him on a free? I think he'd thrive in the Bundesliga, and would probably like to be playing with Vidal.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, James has looked good so far, and I think he's a great addition to the team, and let's be honest, as good as Ribery is, he's aging and has been injury prone the last few seasons.

Do you think Bayern will go after Sanchez from Arsenal, seeing as that they don't normally like to pay huge transfer fees, and they could get him on a free? I think he'd thrive in the Bundesliga, and would probably like to be playing with Vidal.

No they won't get Sanchez I believe now. That ship sailed. One of the Manchester teams may make a run at him I heard. I heard rumors Vidal may be interested in transferring out of Bayern this past summer but it didn't happen....yet. Maybe he'll join Sanchez there. I heard Bayern want the young Schalke star Goretzka and it is almost a foregone conclusion he'll be at Bayern next year.

Ribbery...it is time to retire. Robben soon too. Coman needs to be playing now more.

rsw626

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No they won't get Sanchez I believe now. That ship sailed. One of the Manchester teams may make a run at him I heard. I heard rumors Vidal may be interested in transferring out of Bayern this past summer but it didn't happen....yet. Maybe he'll join Sanchez there. I heard Bayern want the young Schalke star Goretzka and it is almost a foregone conclusion he'll be at Bayern next year.

Ribbery...it is time to retire. Robben soon too. Coman needs to be playing now more.
Didn't know that about Vidal. Yeah either of the Manchester teams seems likely, though I'd hope neither would go.
Though City is treading on thin ice right now with FIFA over FFP rules, among other things

I doubt it would happen, but I wouldn't be surprised to see either or both Sanches and Vidal in Serie A since Inter and Milan are rebuilding and don't seem to mind splashing some cash.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bayern should steamroll Wolfsburg tomorrow.

On another note, Stindl and M'Gladbach playing well recently.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone here think the rumors of Ancelotti bolting for China in January are true?

rsw626

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone here think the rumors of Ancelotti bolting for China in January are true?
I don't know about China, but I do think he'll leave (especially if he doesn't win the UCL), possibly back to Serie A, or as coach of a National Team. Can't really see him going to the EPL as ManU, Man City and Chelsea are set, and even if Conte decided to leave I doubt he'd go back to Chelsea. Liverpool will give Klopp more time, so that leaves Arsenal, which even if Wenger stepped down, I'm not sure Carlo would want to deal with Kronke and the board and all their drama.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about China, but I do think he'll leave (especially if he doesn't win the UCL), possibly back to Serie A, or as coach of a National Team. Can't really see him going to the EPL as ManU, Man City and Chelsea are set, and even if Conte decided to leave I doubt he'd go back to Chelsea. Liverpool will give Klopp more time, so that leaves Arsenal, which even if Wenger stepped down, I'm not sure Carlo would want to deal with Kronke and the board and all their drama.
As a BAyern fan, I want him to succeed. I hate how Bayern will make statements, through former players, about their next coach, ie Nagelsmann or Klopp. Never liked that about about Rummenigge and crew.

I think Bayern can win the UCL, but a lot of that will hinge on Sven Ulreich, who has shows decent form, like this past match against Schalke.

rsw626

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a BAyern fan, I want him to succeed. I hate how Bayern will make statements, through former players, about their next coach, ie Nagelsmann or Klopp. Never liked that about about Rummenigge and crew.

I think Bayern can win the UCL, but a lot of that will hinge on Sven Ulreich, who has shows decent form, like this past match against Schalke.
Yeah, I've always had respect for Beckenbauer, but never liked Rummenigge and how he does things.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I've always had respect for Beckenbauer, but never liked Rummenigge and how he does things.
I read a great article about yesterday (can't remember for the life of me where I saw it), about how KHR told Kroos he wasn't a world class player, and how that statement made Kroos not only leave Bayern, but led to his striving to be the best midfielder in the world. Bayern didn't want to give Kroos 10MM Euro per year?! Nuts.