• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 season thread

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Petty leased the 44 charter to #32, which will be driven by Matt Dibenidetto. 32 then leased their charter to Blaney #21.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beautiful
48kobalt-lf-lr-twitter.jpg

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it time for NASCAR to make format changes?

I think that if most of any of these choices were implemented, that it'd kill off a lot more of the dwindling fan base.

In my opinion, I'd do another revamp of the Chase format if they are desperate to keep the Chase. I'd go back to where it's the top 10 plus a wild card from 11 on down and the 11th Chase driver is the one with the most wins (with the tiebreaker going on points). After each race, eliminate the lowest finishing driver until there are two left dueling it out for the final race at Homestead.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it time for NASCAR to make format changes?

I think that if most of any of these choices were implemented, that it'd kill off a lot more of the dwindling fan base.

In my opinion, I'd do another revamp of the Chase format if they are desperate to keep the Chase. I'd go back to where it's the top 10 plus a wild card from 11 on down and the 11th Chase driver is the one with the most wins (with the tiebreaker going on points). After each race, eliminate the lowest finishing driver until there are two left dueling it out for the final race at Homestead.

That shit is just fucking stupid...so expect Brian France to do it. All that coke has killed whatever brain cells he has left.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That shit is just fucking stupid...so expect Brian France to do it. All that coke has killed whatever brain cells he has left.
Agree 100%

If any of that stuff happens, I'd turn off the tv and would go to the local track in my area to see racing instead. All of that stuff mentioned in the article takes away a lot of the appeal in my opinion.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just road course testing. It's cheaper to go CMS than it is to haul them to Road Atlanta or VIR. It's literally like 20 minutes for almost every NASCAR team to get to CMS
I think there's more to it than that. Ive never heard of teams road course testing at CMS.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NASCAR stages road course test at Charlotte Motor Speedway
Road course race at Charlotte? Could a road course race be in Charlotte Motor Speedway's future? Last Friday, AJ Allmendinger tested on what was roughly a 2.3-mile circuit similar to Daytona International Speedway that incorporates both the infield in Turns 1 and 2 and the regular 1.5-mile oval according to multiple sources. The test was a collaboration between Charlotte Motor Speedway and NASCAR. Sources said Charlotte could incorporate the road course as early as the All-Star Race, which is scheduled for May 20. It's more likely the road course would be used for the fall Chase race on Oct. 7. Fans have been clamoring for a road course in NASCAR's playoffs and Charlotte could offer the perfect solution. Certainly, if the Charlotte plan comes to fruition, transitioning to a road course could be an option at other facilities. Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Kansas Speedway, for instance, already feature road courses as part of their landscape.(Motorsport)(1-20-2017)

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NASCAR stages road course test at Charlotte Motor Speedway
Road course race at Charlotte? Could a road course race be in Charlotte Motor Speedway's future? Last Friday, AJ Allmendinger tested on what was roughly a 2.3-mile circuit similar to Daytona International Speedway that incorporates both the infield in Turns 1 and 2 and the regular 1.5-mile oval according to multiple sources. The test was a collaboration between Charlotte Motor Speedway and NASCAR. Sources said Charlotte could incorporate the road course as early as the All-Star Race, which is scheduled for May 20. It's more likely the road course would be used for the fall Chase race on Oct. 7. Fans have been clamoring for a road course in NASCAR's playoffs and Charlotte could offer the perfect solution. Certainly, if the Charlotte plan comes to fruition, transitioning to a road course could be an option at other facilities. Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Kansas Speedway, for instance, already feature road courses as part of their landscape.(Motorsport)(1-20-2017)
I wouldn't be opposed to having the 2nd Charlotte race that's in the Chase as a road course race. That way, every type of track is represented.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rumored changes per Jayski

UPDATE: NASCAR is expected to announce Monday that it will change how it awards points during a race. NASCAR is expected to divide races into segments, and drivers would get points depending on their running order at the end of each segment, according to industry sources. The news conference Monday will detail the new points distribution system with the goal that drivers will have to compete for spots early in the event rather than having the option to bide their time until the end of the race before making a move. NASCAR currently awards points on a 40-to-1 scale from the highest to the lowest finisher among its 40 drivers. A driver who wins gets three bonus points, while a driver who leads a lap gets one bonus point and the driver who leads the most laps gets an additional bonus point. The way a driver qualifies to get into NASCAR's version of its playoffs - the regular-season champion and then 15 drivers based on wins with points as the tiebreaker - is not expected to change. NASCAR also has explored ways to make regular-season performance more meaningful in the playoffs, with the current format allowing drivers to carry over their bonus points from wins only into the first round.(ESPN.com)(1-21-2017)

Two things:

1) The ESPN story says the changes are to appeal to millennial viewers. That's stupid. How does making a ridculous system more complicated attract more viewers, especially young people who supposedly have short attention spans (they don't, they have low tolerance for bullshit like this).

2) NASCAR execs seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of exactly how race strategy works, which isn't all that surprising considering that most of them can't tell the ass end of the car from the front when they actually bother to walk the garage on race days. Hardly anyone, if any, is just biding their time. No one is just riding around in 25th waiting till 10 to go just for the hell of it. It's a long race. It takes skill to preserve your equipment and adjust your car for the constantly changing track conditions. THAT'S WHAT RACING IS.

Fucking morons. All of them

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rumored changes per Jayski

Two things:

1) The ESPN story says the changes are to appeal to millennial viewers. That's stupid. How does making a ridculous system more complicated attract more viewers, especially young people who supposedly have short attention spans (they don't, they have low tolerance for bullshit like this).

2) NASCAR execs seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of exactly how race strategy works, which isn't all that surprising considering that most of them can't tell the ass end of the car from the front when they actually bother to walk the garage on race days. Hardly anyone, if any, is just biding their time. No one is just riding around in 25th waiting till 10 to go just for the hell of it. It's a long race. It takes skill to preserve your equipment and adjust your car for the constantly changing track conditions. THAT'S WHAT RACING IS.

Fucking morons. All of them
So it looks like the rumors floating on reddit the past few weeks was at least partially true.
48XVq6g.jpg

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they're trying to eradicate the die hards from showing up and watching, this will do a good job of accomplishing that. I expect even more empty seats at the tracks this upcoming season.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it looks like the rumors floating on reddit the past few weeks was at least partially true.
View attachment 154050

What makes that even more dumb is they have The Chase, which makes regular season points all but meaningless. "Hey! You got double points for winning the Daytona 500!" Who gives a fuck. You're already in The Chase. How many ways can they find to double down on stupid

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes that even more dumb is they have The Chase, which makes regular season points all but meaningless. "Hey! You got double points for winning the Daytona 500!" Who gives a fuck. You're already in The Chase. How many ways can they find to double down on stupid
Never doubt the ability of Brian France to find a way.