• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 2016 Rose Bowl Thread #9 USC vs #5 Penn State 5PM EST

Churchillin

Hoopla Cash
$ 216.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember Big 10 fans crying about "home field advantage" prior to just a couple of years or so ago.

Is this some millenial snowflake thing? Or have they always cried about it, but now everyone can see it because of the interwebz? :noidea:

No, I was just disputing his specific point. USC played some of the most clutch ball I've ever seen tonight. Can't take anything away from that.

I do think in this era of domed stadiums we no longer need to play every significant bowl game in good weather. If we can avoid it, then why don't we avoid it? Then my annoying millennial argument goes away.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I was just disputing his specific point. USC played some of the most clutch ball I've ever seen tonight. Can't take anything away from that.

I do think in this era of domed stadiums we no longer need to play every significant bowl game in good weather. If we can avoid it, then why don't we avoid it? Then my annoying millennial argument goes away.

I agree to a point. Problem is, even though the stadium is domed. People still have to deal with the weather getting to and from the stadium, travelling to and from the city and when they are travelling around the city while they are there.

So, the only weather issue that the domed stadium solves is during the game. There's a lot more to these bowls than just the game.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree to a point. Problem is, even though the stadium is domed. People still have to deal with the weather getting to and from the stadium, travelling to and from the city and when they are travelling around the city while they are there.

So, the only weather issue that the domed stadium solves is during the game. There's a lot more to these bowls than just the game.
Yep, it's a vacation for the fans. People want to go to nice weather locations. Regardless, I don't know how anyone can bitch about the location of a classic bowl game that's been around for 100 years.

Churchillin

Hoopla Cash
$ 216.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get the impression, not from you necessarily but from a lot of fans from warm weather states... that they think the north is engulfed in an ongoing blizzard for half the winter. But in fact 95% of the time the roads are perfectly drivable (thanks to modern equipment, etc) even by folks not used to them. It is low temperatures most of the time, but take a warm coat, and it's not really an issue. I've missed exactly one day of work due to weather in my 16 years of working full-time. NFL playoffs do it all the time (even the occasional superbowl).

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, it's a vacation for the fans. People want to go to nice weather locations. Regardless, I don't know how anyone can bitch about the location of a classic bowl game that's been around for 100 years.

I've heard that a big reason California is the most populous state in the nation is people watching the Rose Parade and Rose Bowl game and seeing that it's 72 degrees and sunny in January.

I also don't remember this whining about it happening before just a few years ago. Millenial snowflake thing?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the impression, not from you necessarily but from a lot of fans from warm weather states... that they think the north is engulfed in an ongoing blizzard for half the winter.

I don't think it's anything that extreme. But if I'm travelling for pleasure in the winter, I want to go where it's 72 and sunny. Not where it's 30 degrees and I have to bundle up to go out to a restaurant or see the sights.

If you notice, most of the bowls are located in tourist destinations. There is a reason that those places are tourist destinations.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard that a big reason California is the most populous state in the nation is people watching the Rose Parade and Rose Bowl game and seeing that it's 72 degrees and sunny in January.

I also don't remember this whining about it happening before just a few years ago. Millenial snowflake thing?
Good question. Maybe we can see if another conference wants to have a Rose Bowl tie in for their conference champ if the B1G fans don't think the location is fair.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the impression, not from you necessarily but from a lot of fans from warm weather states... that they think the north is engulfed in an ongoing blizzard for half the winter. But in fact 95% of the time the roads are perfectly drivable (thanks to modern equipment, etc) even by folks not used to them. It is low temperatures most of the time, but take a warm coat, and it's not really an issue. I've missed exactly one day of work due to weather in my 16 years of working full-time. NFL playoffs do it all the time (even the occasional superbowl).

I've been talking with fans of Rose Bowl teams for years (grew up minutes from the Rose Bowl) and they all love coming here. They plan a Disneyland trip , the Hollywood tour and some years actually get 78 80 degrees for a beach day. Other than Chicago where there could be stuff to do where in cold weather would you think vistors would like to go for four days? I went to Dallas (jerryworld) for the Bama USC game and there's really not much more than a days worth to see there . The foods good but thats it. New Orleans , Florida, and So Cal are about the best places for bowl games.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good question. Maybe we can see if another conference wants to have a Rose Bowl tie in for their conference champ if the B1G fans don't think the location is fair.

There ya go. Maybe the Big 12 or SEC would like a Rose Bowl tie-in?

Churchillin

Hoopla Cash
$ 216.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been talking with fans of Rose Bowl teams for years (grew up minutes from the Rose Bowl) and they all love coming here. They plan a Disneyland trip , the Hollywood tour and some years actually get 78 80 degrees for a beach day. Other than Chicago where there could be stuff to do where in cold weather would you think vistors would like to go for four days? I went to Dallas (jerryworld) for the Bama USC game and there's really not much more than a days worth to see there . The foods good but thats it. New Orleans , Florida, and So Cal are about the best places for bowl games.

Don't disagree with anything you said. Wouldn't change a thing about the Rose Bowl.

I'd bring the NCG up north half the time like NFL playoff games. These days it's all about TV revenue anyway with ticket sales a secondary issue. Just look at all the bowls that sell no tickets yet they still rate better on TV than even the biggest regular season basketball games. And the NCG would sell out anyway.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bahahahahahaha. Love that PSU choked it away. Fuckers.

In all seriousness, thanks USC and Penn State for delivering such an epic bowl.:suds:

CorpRebel

Rock-n-Roll
Hoopla Cash
$ 650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep! I'd still like to be outdoors, like on the beach or something else instead of huddling in a hotel or local bar all day rather than dealing with the cold weather, though even in good climates, Mother Nature can be a real bitch at times and make things difficult... heh heh :nod:

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember Big 10 fans crying about "home field advantage" prior to just a couple of years or so ago.

Is this some millenial snowflake thing? Or have they always cried about it, but now everyone can see it because of the interwebz? :noidea:
My thoughts are if the BIG 10 teams doesn't want to come to California and play in the Rose Bowl, because they think the PAC 12 has "home field advantage", then refuse the invitation to play in the Rose Bowl. BIG 10 teams have been playing in the Rose Bowl for years without bitching. Why all of sudden?

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

psu.png