• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Offseason Moves.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's still early, but the Cards have not signed anyone that would be an upgrade to the team yet. Keep seeing other teams names in the headlines. Rams and Niners made a little noise, but nothing earth-shattering. Seattle lost Irvin and may be in trouble as their gradual descent continues.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's still early, but the Cards have not signed anyone that would be an upgrade to the team yet. Keep seeing other teams names in the headlines. Rams and Niners made a little noise, but nothing earth-shattering. Seattle lost Irvin and may be in trouble as their gradual descent continues.

How many of the top teams have made a splash in free agency? It's mostly just poor teams mainly spending money or overpaying to "keep up with the Joneses".

I believe Branch is an upgrade over Rashad. He is a little bigger & definitely a lot faster. Rashad has seemingly lost a step & his tackling has never been great. We might miss his ability to be the secondary leader, getting guys on the same page while on the field, but athletically & physically, Branch can do things to things that Rashad can't. How many times late in the season & playoffs had we seen guys turn catches over the middle into long plays, even long TDs, because the could out run Rashad to get the angle on him? The Car & Seattle games pretty much made me realize that it was probably time to move on from Rashad.

Keim's approach has really not been any different this offseason than it was in previous years. After his initial signing or signings, he usually just waits out the week to let the market settle & then brings in guys once the big money is gone from the market. This year was just crazy with spending because of the large bump in the cap & the fact that this is the last year in the 4 year average for the cap floor spending. Teams like Jax & Oak have to spend most of their $60+ mil in space to hit the floor for spending.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many of the top teams have made a splash in free agency? It's mostly just poor teams mainly spending money or overpaying to "keep up with the Joneses".

I believe Branch is an upgrade over Rashad. He is a little bigger & definitely a lot faster. Rashad has seemingly lost a step & his tackling has never been great. We might miss his ability to be the secondary leader, getting guys on the same page while on the field, but athletically & physically, Branch can do things to things that Rashad can't. How many times late in the season & playoffs had we seen guys turn catches over the middle into long plays, even long TDs, because the could out run Rashad to get the angle on him? The Car & Seattle games pretty much made me realize that it was probably time to move on from Rashad.

Keim's approach has really not been any different this offseason than it was in previous years. After his initial signing or signings, he usually just waits out the week to let the market settle & then brings in guys once the big money is gone from the market. This year was just crazy with spending because of the large bump in the cap & the fact that this is the last year in the 4 year average for the cap floor spending. Teams like Jax & Oak have to spend most of their $60+ mil in space to hit the floor for spending.

I thought Rashad actually took a step forward last year and I liked how he played most games. Branch hasn't made much of an impact in the NFL in the past three years. This signing does not excite m at all....quite the opposite.

The Seattle loss I can't take too much stock in since 95% of the players seemed to take the game off. Inexcusable, yes...but it was a game with very little meaning at that point in the season. He looked terrible against Carolina though...no doubt about that.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Rashad actually took a step forward last year and I liked how he played most games. Branch hasn't made much of an impact in the NFL in the past three years. This signing does not excite m at all....quite the opposite.

The Seattle loss I can't take too much stock in since 95% of the players seemed to take the game off. Inexcusable, yes...but it was a game with very little meaning at that point in the season. He looked terrible against Carolina though...no doubt about that.

I was a big fan of Rashad over the last three years. He has generally been in the right spots & made many plays over that span. But he has never been great in one-on-one coverage & via the run game, he has been poor. I think he lack of speed has really hurt the team recently. We have a plenty of young safeties on the team along with Honey Badger, who will likely see a role more like Rashad's & less slot one-on-one coverage in the upcoming season while working back from his injury. I think in the role that will remain, hybrid safety/slot corner, Tyrann's old position, Branch will be good at.

Look at it like this. Basically Tyrann will be replacing Rashad in 2016 & Branch will be doing some of the things Tyrann did over the last two years.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure most of you guys know because I saw you commented in the thread on the main board, but the Cards made a big trade today with NE shipping Cooper and this year's 2nd pick for Chandler Jones.

The consensus seems to be this is a pretty equal trade with both teams dumping a player that likely wouldn't be on the roster beyond next season. I like the move for the Cards especially if they can get Jones extended before the end of next session. With this the team has one less hole to fill as Coop likely wasn't going to start.

What do you gentlemen see them taking in the draft? I'm thinking CB in the first, center in the third, then depth for the lines the rest of the way, unless an absolute steal presents itself.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I think the Cards clearly won the trade. Pats fans are putting too much stock into future value of the pick. And then they are attributing other moves to the value of the trade.

Elite pass rusher > 2nd round pic & under-performing former high draft pick.

As far as the draft, I think they will draft the best CB available. Either Apple from OSU or Jackson from Houston. One of those two guys should reach us. And then grab a center in the third round.

Once the Cards get a FA o-lineman or two signed, I think they will start working on extensions. Tyrann, Jones, Floyd, & CC all need new deals. Getting CC done would likely free up some cap space this season, so he should be the priority. But seriously, that is a lot of money that will get tied up. That's easily $40-50 mil tied up each season for those four players.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind them going BPA after grabbing a CB and center. Keim seems to seems to have a knack for finding quality players in the late rounds that can at least play a small role on the squad.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spending $6 mil on Mathis pretty much brings an end to any spending. Only bargain basement shopping from here on out.

As usual I expect Keim to draft BPA, but he always uses our needs as part of the equation for BPA. Last year's BPA is not looking so hot even after most draft pundits claimed we got a steal.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spending $6 mil on Mathis pretty much brings an end to any spending. Only bargain basement shopping from here on out.

As usual I expect Keim to draft BPA, but he always uses our needs as part of the equation for BPA. Last year's BPA is not looking so hot even after most draft pundits claimed we got a steal.
I dunno, aside from Humphreis I think last year's picks faired pretty well. Golden, Gunter, and Johnson all figure to be starters this season and JJ is a good project and will be needed when Larry retires.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno, aside from Humphreis I think last year's picks faired pretty well. Golden, Gunter, and Johnson all figure to be starters this season and JJ is a good project and will be needed when Larry retires.

I should have said "last year's first round BPA pick". Overall, Keim has done very well in the drafts.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should have said "last year's first round BPA pick". Overall, Keim has done very well in the drafts.
Yeah, Humphreis has been a disappointment. I hope he can figure it out this season, or it might be another 10 years before the Cards spend a first round pick on O-line again.:doh:

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Johnson signed a one year deal with the team today. Not a bad thing. I'll admit I was s skeptical when they brought him in last year, but he showed he can still play and be a team player as well. If he can produce like he did last season before the injury it would be great.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad he came back for the minimal amount he played for last season.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad he came back for the minimal amount he played for last season.
Agreed, He's a nice piece to have and I think he's right in what he said him and David having different skills sets and both can play roles this season.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind them going BPA after grabbing a CB and center. Keim seems to seems to have a knack for finding quality players in the late rounds that can at least play a small role on the squad.

I hate BPA. It only works when you've addressed all your needs. What if that player was a RB?

CB, pass rusher (can't assume Chandler will be extended), O-line. Shoot for a QB gem in the later rounds. Learn from the Logan THomas mistake...if he didn't dazzle in college, he ain't going to suddenly shine in the NFL.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can everyone agree with me that having the only major thing about the Cards in the news is "All or Nothing" is great? Seeing all these stories about players fucking up makes me feel good that the team is full of high character guys that look out for one another.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can everyone agree with me that having the only major thing about the Cards in the news is "All or Nothing" is great? Seeing all these stories about players fucking up makes me feel good that the team is full of high character guys that look out for one another.

It's definitely nice to be one of the elite teams that has a crew of guys acting like adults and serious about their business. Almost makes you forget Daryl Washington was not that long ago.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here, here. :suds:

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys watching the Amazon show on the Cardinals from last season?

Suns7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys watching the Amazon show on the Cardinals from last season?

Wife and I watched it in like 3 days. We both really enjoyed it. I'd watch probably watch another one, if they make one, even if it follows another team.