• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 News & Transactions

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waldis Joaquin, Juan Perez and Brett Pill have all signed minor league deals with the Tigers.

Remember when Brett Pill was a thing?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waldis Joaquin, Juan Perez and Brett Pill have all signed minor league deals with the Tigers.

Not really. He was always just a glorified AAAA player.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However, do you remember when JCP was drafted as a power-hitting OFer?

LOL. Yeah, that didnt really become a thing...

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I remember rooting for Brett Pill. Not to take over for Belt (I was still bitter about Ishikawa) but bring a nice bat to the bench. Too bad he never put it together (or Perez, for that matter). Hey, maybe the two share center field duties in Detroit! :dhd:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Vogelsong signed a minor league deal with the Twins.

Giants host the Twins in June.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Casilla officially signs a 2/11 with the A's. Nice signing by the A's, except that I think they signed him to be their closer. That could end up being un-good.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So with the recent signings of Gonor, Nunez, Smith, and Kontos the roster looks pretty set with few unsettled spots:

Starters: MVP, BB9, Dozens, Stamos, Nunez, Mac, Span, Herk
Bench: Federowicz, KT, EA, Gorkys, Park
SP: Bum, JC, Moore, Shark, Cain
RP: Melancon, Strick, Smith, Law, Kontos, Gearrin, Osich

Outside shot at roster: Brown, Okert, Stratton, Suarez, Gonor

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So with the recent signings of Gonor, Nunez, Smith, and Kontos the roster looks pretty set with few unsettled spots:

Starters: MVP, BB9, Dozens, Stamos, Nunez, Mac, Span, Herk
Bench: Federowicz, KT, EA, Gorkys, Park
SP: Bum, JC, Moore, Shark, Cain
RP: Melancon, Strick, Smith, Law, Kontos, Gearrin, Osich

Outside shot at roster: Brown, Okert, Stratton, Suarez, Gonor
Brown as an outside shot?

Feder over Brown? I think Okert has a better chance of making the team than Osich. Okert has passed him up, I think. I don't see them going with 6 OFers, especially with Nunez on the squad. I think the bench will be Brown, Gorkys, Parker, EA and Calixte. If Rollins has a good spring, he gets EA DFA'd. Banks will put pressure on Parker.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown as an outside shot?

Feder over Brown? I think Okert has a better chance of making the team than Osich. Okert has passed him up, I think. I don't see them going with 6 OFers, especially with Nunez on the squad. I think the bench will be Brown, Gorkys, Parker, EA and Calixte. If Rollins has a good spring, he gets EA DFA'd. Banks will put pressure on Parker.

Brown can't hit. Further, Fed is a superior defender. I don't think, barring injury, that it's even really that close. You are correct on Okert, I mistyped. I can't see KT not making the team.

I guess we'll see.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown can't hit. Further, Fed is a superior defender. I don't think, barring injury, that it's even really that close. You are correct on Okert, I mistyped. I can't see KT not making the team.

I guess we'll see.

This is the Giants, tzill. Giants' conventional wisdom indicates:

1. Brown is the favorite, they aren't going to kick him to the curb that fast. His defense isn't good enough to hold up his bat, I agree. But he's the favorite right now, he knows our pitchers. One more name to keep in mind is Josmil Pinto. He probably has a <10% chance of making the club, but he's got a great bat for a catcher, though not great defense. If anything, he's going to rake in Sacramento.

2. Kelby Tomlinson has options, therefore he is one of the more likely cuts because he can stay with the org, especially up against a guy like....

3. Post-season hero Conner Gillaspie definitely has the inside track on a bench role. And he's actually proven to be a real good bench bat. Plus, we don't really have anyone else to play 3B. EA in a pinch I guess.

4. I don't think any of them have a huge shot, but you have to include Rollins, Morse and Ruggiano as candidates too.

--

Also, it should be a pretty good competition between Osich and Okert. Osich was hurt pretty early in the season and he pitched through it, but it definitely affected his game. He was great in 2015, and still has downright nasty stuff if he can locate it. Okert has great stuff too. 50/50 too early to call for me.

Other long shot guys who are from outside the organization by position:

C: Pinto
IF: Orlando Calixte, Juniel Querecuto
OF: Wynton Bernard
P: Bryan Morris, Neil Ramirez, Jose Dominguez, Josh Johnson

If I had to guess right now, I'd say I have the exact same starting lineup, rotation and bullpen. Bench would be Parker, Gorkys, Gonner, Tomlinson, Brown. Spring always changes things though. I have a weird feeling one of those vets is going to end up on the team. If it has to be any of them, Ruggiano actually make quite a bit of sense. He can play CF, is a right-handed power bat that really crushes lefties and counters Span, Parker, and Gonner. It would mean bye-bye to Gorkys.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ah, yes, part of the Happy Hour Trio at 1B. A Belt, a Pill, and a Huff. Someone suggested we trade for Justin Smoak as well...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like only 3 of The Nine coming back, and Cain barely hanging on.

No chance for Romo to come back for less $?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like only 3 of The Nine coming back, and Cain barely hanging on.

No chance for Romo to come back for less $?
The longer he goes without signing, the more possible I see that option. I would still be shocked, but if he could be had for 5M or so, maybe it actually makes sense...

Posey - Giants
Bumgarner - Giants
Cain - Giants
Casilla - A's
Sandoval - Red Sox
Romo - FA
Lopez - FA/Retired
Lincecum - FA/Retired
Affeldt - Retired

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the Giants, tzill. Giants' conventional wisdom indicates:

1. Brown is the favorite, they aren't going to kick him to the curb that fast. His defense isn't good enough to hold up his bat, I agree. But he's the favorite right now, he knows our pitchers. One more name to keep in mind is Josmil Pinto. He probably has a <10% chance of making the club, but he's got a great bat for a catcher, though not great defense. If anything, he's going to rake in Sacramento.

2. Kelby Tomlinson has options, therefore he is one of the more likely cuts because he can stay with the org, especially up against a guy like....

3. Post-season hero Conner Gillaspie definitely has the inside track on a bench role. And he's actually proven to be a real good bench bat. Plus, we don't really have anyone else to play 3B. EA in a pinch I guess.

4. I don't think any of them have a huge shot, but you have to include Rollins, Morse and Ruggiano as candidates too.

--

Also, it should be a pretty good competition between Osich and Okert. Osich was hurt pretty early in the season and he pitched through it, but it definitely affected his game. He was great in 2015, and still has downright nasty stuff if he can locate it. Okert has great stuff too. 50/50 too early to call for me.

Other long shot guys who are from outside the organization by position:

C: Pinto
IF: Orlando Calixte, Juniel Querecuto
OF: Wynton Bernard
P: Bryan Morris, Neil Ramirez, Jose Dominguez, Josh Johnson

If I had to guess right now, I'd say I have the exact same starting lineup, rotation and bullpen. Bench would be Parker, Gorkys, Gonner, Tomlinson, Brown. Spring always changes things though. I have a weird feeling one of those vets is going to end up on the team. If it has to be any of them, Ruggiano actually make quite a bit of sense. He can play CF, is a right-handed power bat that really crushes lefties and counters Span, Parker, and Gonner. It would mean bye-bye to Gorkys.

1. I believe Brown has options, so they won't be "kicking him to the curb." Pinto provides depth at AAA.
2. Fair point on Gonor, but I think he ends up in AAA.
3. He's a good PH, for sure.
4. Can't see any of those three on the squad unless there are injuries.

Interesting you have EA getting cut. That's a possibility for sure. We'll have to disagree on Brownie.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. I believe Brown has options, so they won't be "kicking him to the curb." Pinto provides depth at AAA.
2. Fair point on Gonor, but I think he ends up in AAA.
3. He's a good PH, for sure.
4. Can't see any of those three on the squad unless there are injuries.

Interesting you have EA getting cut. That's a possibility for sure. We'll have to disagree on Brownie.

That's true that since Brown has options it makes him a candidate, like Kelby, to be an odd man out. I just don't see it at this time. Who plays catcher when Buster is away at the WBC should be a decent indicator.

Adrianza signed an interesting deal with the Giants. If he's in the majors, he makes $600K. But if he's in the minors, he can make $300K. That gives him incentive to stay with the Giants if he get's DFA'd, so he still makes decent salary. That puts him on the bubble for me, he has been protected by not having options the last couple years, but this year there's a better possibility he stays if he's cut.