• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Baltimore Orioles Ongoing Thread

BradPittsEvilTwin

Keaton for President '16
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see the Os find some hitters in the offseason. Not sluggers, hitters. They are way too dependent on the HR to score. I would let Weiters walk (assuming his pricetag is too high). Get the comp pick for him....

I don't think a major overhaul is needed though.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might as well tank the rest of the reason for a better 1st-round draft pick? 62-100 should be enough to pass the Phillies for dead last. (/s)

(Seriously, though... this season is pretty much the antithesis of 2012. Just look at the disparity between run differential and actual record-- the Orioles currently have 6 fewer wins in reality relative to their expected record.)

I wouldn't necessarily say tank the season but I think that it wouldn't be the worst idea to try out a bunch of new guys when the September call ups occur.

What I think the main difference between this season and the previous two-three seasons is that we aren't pulling out those 1 run games like we had been. This season, we've found ways to lose those games instead of finding ways to win all of those games.

I would like to see the Os find some hitters in the offseason. Not sluggers, hitters. They are way too dependent on the HR to score. I would let Weiters walk (assuming his pricetag is too high). Get the comp pick for him....

I don't think a major overhaul is needed though.

What I'd like to see is to get a starting pitcher or two that can routinely go 6+ innings to give our bullpen a break. It seems like most of these guys that we have now are lucky to make it out of the 5th inning and then we have to rely on the bullpen. But yes, we do need an OF or two, pending on if Parra doesn't come back. We'll also need a 1B and possibly a catcher as well. But I won't hold my breath waiting for it to happen since this team more often than not is notoriously cheap and won't pay the high prices to get the premiere free agents.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is done for. We are finding ways to lose every single game now. We have been awful against teams we absolutely need to be beating to get at least a wild card slot and we can't do it. This is becoming pre 2012 bad in terms of watching games. :rip: 2015 season.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is done for. We are finding ways to lose every single game now. We have been awful against teams we absolutely need to be beating to get at least a wild card slot and we can't do it. This is becoming pre 2012 bad in terms of watching games. :rip: 2015 season.

I'll admit that I've already mentally switched to the upcoming NFL season...

Now, here's the big question: Do we use the 2nd half of the 2015 season as an excuse to fire Buck and thus guarantee winning the World Series in 2016 (given his track record with the Diamondbacks and the Yankees)? (/s)

(For the record, I'm for keeping Buck Showalter unless the organization can find a better replacement. If there's anyone who needs to be replaced, it's the GM and the owner... but I would be sounding like a broken record by saying that.)

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the hard part is we need to give walker and mancini a lot of ab in sept . wilson and wright some starts . only starters i see is gausman and tilly on this roster . i'm tired of waldo the duke has been piss poor at adding to andy's team .

BradPittsEvilTwin

Keaton for President '16
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think this season is done. Definitely need a starter for next year... hopefully Bundy will be able to go.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll admit that I've already mentally switched to the upcoming NFL season...

Now, here's the big question: Do we use the 2nd half of the 2015 season as an excuse to fire Buck and thus guarantee winning the World Series in 2016 (given his track record with the Diamondbacks and the Yankees)? (/s)

(For the record, I'm for keeping Buck Showalter unless the organization can find a better replacement. If there's anyone who needs to be replaced, it's the GM and the owner... but I would be sounding like a broken record by saying that.)

I would say I'm ready for football season but my teams aren't likely to be going anywhere once again, so I'm prepared for a long and lousy season from all of my teams.

I don't think Buck is fully at fault here. DD didn't do jack shit this past offseason to help improve on a team that got to the ALCS for the first time since 1997. Whether that was on Angelos telling him not to overspend or it was Dan himself, thinking he can get another Nelson Cruz on the cheap, it didn't work. The only offseason acquisition that I can recall (Travis Snider via trade) is gone and now back with Pittsburgh I believe. There was no excuse not to be in on free agents. This type of garbage is why a lot of guys want nothing to do with signing with this franchise unless it's as a last resort.

But starting Tuesday when September callups start occurring, I'd start playing all the minor league guys. Even though I saw something on MLBTradeRumors today saying that Dan is still trying to work the waiver wire, I wouldn't even bother. We got too many teams to pass right now for that second wild card slot and I haven't seen one thing that can make me think that this team is ready to get out of it's horrible 2-11 slump the past 13 games and get back in the thick of the wild card race. Since we got all of these impending free agents this offseason and likely not going to sign any of them, I'd like to see what some of these minor leaguers got since that's who we'll likely have to use next season to help fill the roster.

My question would be say if theoretically Buck takes over for Dan in the front office and Dan bolts to wherever or gets let go, who would end up becoming the new head coach?

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think this season is done. Definitely need a starter for next year... hopefully Bundy will be able to go.

Fixed it for you: "Definitely need a new rotation for next year." No, seriously... this August, every starter not named Chen has posted a 4.50+ ERA, which means that our above-average bullpen didn't even matter.

But starting Tuesday when September callups start occurring, I'd start playing all the minor league guys.

Should have done that as early as mid-July in my opinion... but better late than never.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who did we get for Arrieta?
Scott Feldman.

Specifically, it's Arrieta + Strop for Feldman + Clevenger. The trade looked okay back in 2013 since both Arrieta and Strop were definitely underperforming with the Orioles... and Feldman was at least serviceable (90.2 IP, 1.22 WHIP, 4.27 ERA).

Fixed it for you: "Definitely need a new rotation for next year." No, seriously... this August, every starter not named Chen has posted a 4.50+ ERA, which means that our above-average bullpen didn't even matter.

...and Chen has now given up 3 runs in 4 innings as well. Unfortunately, that's too many when the offense is only scoring 2.73 runs per game over the last 11 games.

As much as I hate to say this, the issue right now might not be "season over" (which is a foregone conclusion), but rather "Are the Orioles returning to the 1998-2011 version?" and "Does the organization need a full rebuild that's similar to the 2011-2014 Astros?"

Last edited:

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I hate to say this, the issue right now might not be "season over" (which is a foregone conclusion), but rather "Are the Orioles returning to the 1998-2011 version?" and "Does the organization need a full rebuild that's similar to the 2011-2014 Astros?"

If we're going to lose everyone at the end of the season, I can very well see that version of the team happening again. Best case scenario is if we lose everyone, we at least make QO's for everyone and then get some draft picks to start restocking the farm. I'd also trade just about everyone on the team that we can get some really good value on. So I'd at least understand if they went the Astros route and just be awful for a few years and then when the guys are ready to come up, be really good. But I don't think that's the way that DD operates. He likes trying to find scrap heap type guys to try to find a diamond in the rough to try to compete every year.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just when I think this team can't get any worse, they seem to prove me wrong. Way to earn your paychecks guys!

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just when I think this team can't get any worse, they seem to prove me wrong. Way to earn your paychecks guys!

On the bright side: If everyone else plays 0.500 ball, dead last is still in reach if they want the #1 pick that badly. :L They just need to lose one game at a time... although passing the Tigers and the Braves might be difficult since they're also 1-9 over the last 10 games. (/s)

Last edited:

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Angelos fires Duquette right after Toronto hires a new GM.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Angelos could fire himself as well and it'd be an automatic A+++ offseason in my opinion.

While we're at it, let's have Buck resign as the manager and take over as the GM as well... since the former part will guarantee winning the World Series in 2016 if history repeat itself, and the latter part will ensure that the organization stays competitive beyond 2016 as well.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While we're at it, let's have Buck resign as the manager and take over as the GM as well... since the former part will guarantee winning the World Series in 2016 if history repeat itself, and the latter part will ensure that the organization stays competitive beyond 2016 as well.

The only problem with Buck taking over as GM would be who would take over his job as manager?

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only problem with Buck taking over as GM would be who would take over his job as manager?

To be honest, I haven't really thought of that... I was under the assumption that Buck would be able to contribute more to building a competitive team via the GM role (since he can only do so much with the players he's stuck with via the manager role), and the manager role would be easier to fill.

But here's an idea: Would it be possible to promote the AAA manager? The Norfolk Tides are about to win their division this year, after all.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest, I haven't really thought of that... I was under the assumption that Buck would be able to contribute more to building a competitive team via the GM role (since he can only do so much with the players he's stuck with via the manager role), and the manager role would be easier to fill.

But here's an idea: Would it be possible to promote the AAA manager? The Norfolk Tides are about to win their division this year, after all.

If Buck was to become GM, I'm sure he would have a good idea of who he'd want to replace him in mind, whether one of the minor league managers or maybe an assistant from somewhere else in the league.