• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-2017 Offseason thread

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, this was a lot earlier than I wanted to make this thread. :tsk::mad2::gaah::L

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, this was a lot earlier than I wanted to make this thread. :tsk::mad2::gaah::L

1. To be fair, this shouldn't surprise anyone since the fundamentals (run differential) suggest that the 2016 Orioles are actually quite similar to the 2013 version; the only exception is that they made the playoffs because of luck (outperforming their expected record by 5 games vs. 0 in 2013, plus other teams being even more mediocre).

2. This might fall under the "overreaction of the day" category, but my first thought is "they should seriously consider trading Davis and Jones and start a full rebuild."

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. To be fair, this shouldn't surprise anyone since the fundamentals (run differential) suggest that the 2016 Orioles are actually quite similar to the 2013 version; the only exception is that they made the playoffs because of luck (outperforming their expected record by 5 games, plus other teams being even more mediocre).

2. This might fall under the "overreaction of the day" category, but my first thought is "trade Davis and Jones and start a full rebuild-- the window to contend is now closed."
I am all for trading Davis. I don't think we should've even signed him to that contract and would've much rather have signed Cespedes for the rumored contract he would've gotten. Jones being traded would be fine with me since you know what you're going to get with him on offense, which is a guy that flails at just about anything within 5 feet of the strike zone.

I'm just frustrated that the offense looked like crap for most of the night (other than the Trumbo homer) and the decision not to use Britton. This was definitely a winnable game against a bullpen that has struggled lately and we couldn't take advantage.

My overreaction of the day - Fire Buck and send him to the front office?

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My overreaction of the day - Fire Buck and send him to the front office?

Great idea, actually... I think he would be a better GM than a manager anyway. Plus, if history is any indication, firing Buck will ensure winning the World Series in the following year! :D

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great idea, actually... I think he would be a better GM than a manager anyway. Plus, if history is any indication, firing Buck will ensure winning the World Series in the following year! :D
LOL, I hear you there. I guess the next question would be who would you want to replace him?

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well good bye to matt , Nolan and pedro . we need to trade galdo and waldo

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well good bye to matt , Nolan and pedro . we need to trade galdo and waldo
I can see Matt coming back on a one year deal to give Sisco a little more seasoning down in Norfolk since they don't seem to think much of Perez and probably don't want Joseph and Pena as the two catchers on the main roster to start next season. Nolan and Pedro I do think are long gone.
Gausman, Tillman and Bundy are no brainer's for the rotation. If we can get the Ubaldo that pitched in September to pitch throughout the season, I'd love to have him. As for Gallardo and Miley, I'd trade them for batting practice balls and think we got the better end of the deal. Still don't know what we should do about Wright and Wilson.
Would also like to see a new hitting coach that teaches all of these guys patience at the plate. The hitters over-aggressiveness has hurt this team as much as it's helped. I think that the pitchers caught onto that in the 2nd half of the season and adjusted accordingly, which is why about half the time we were scoring 3 or less runs in games.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Dave Wallace is retiring. Now let's see if we can get a good pitching coach to straighten a few of these guys out!

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt we'd sign him but definitely wouldn't object to it since there's really no good starting pitchers on the market this offseason that I can recall offhand and can use that money on him. I'd put him in RF, Trumbo as DH and maybe try a platoon of Bourne and Kim in LF. We'll likely try to use most of the offseason money to sign Trumbo would be my guess and maybe try to sign Wieters to a one year deal while Sisco gets a little more seasoning down at Norfolk before we bring him up. If it were up to me, I'd still try to get a long term extension with Manny done as well. So I guess, here's some things on my offseason list that I'd like to see done (in no particular order)

1. Trade Chris Davis (offer salary relief to the team trading for him and try to get a starting pitcher or two back). This also opens up room for Mancini to be our first baseman.
2. Sign Wieters to a one year extension. I would probably say no to this if I thought that they had faith in Aubrey Perez and would bring him up. But since I don't want our catchers next year to be Joseph and Pena, I'd much rather see Wieters again for one more year while Sisco gets a little more experience in the minors.
3. Sign Cespedes (if he opts out). Don't think it'll happen but would love to see him in the outfield here.
4. Sign Trumbo to an extension. I think this ballpark fits him perfectly and he seems to like it here. Have him be a DH.
5. Try to sign Manny to a long-term extension. While he makes a lot of dumb base running mistakes, I still want his glove on the field and his bat in the lineup. I have a feeling the longer we wait on this, the less likely the chances of us re-signing him will be.
6. Trade Adam Jones. Probably not a popular decision with a lot of people but I'm tired of watching him constantly whiff at pitches nowhere near the strike zone on a nightly basis. Plus his OPS+ has gone down each since since 2012 and 30 overall points since then.
7. Start searching for a replacement for Hardy. I don't believe that we have anyone in the minors ready to take over for him when he leaves and would like to be well prepared for when that time comes. Especially since it seems like he goes on the DL once or twice a year (and don't want to see Flaherty in the lineup when that occurs).

While I realize that some of these things aren't likely to happen but would at least like to see what everyone here thinks. Anyone here feel free to mention anything I might've forgotten.

Figure this fits more with this thread than the 2016 thread so if anyone else wants to read it, it'll be here as well since there's no mod here to move it over. Only thing I'd like to add is a new hitting coach since in the 2nd half, teams pitchers adjusted to our overaggressive nature and shut us down for a good chunk after the all-star break. I'd add pitching coach but Wallace retiring did us a favor in my opinion.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we promote griff from aaa . he helped put tilly and britton back together .

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we promote griff from aaa . he helped put tilly and britton back together .
This is from Roch's blog earlier:

The Orioles are in the extreme early stages of their search for a new pitching coach and you’re going to see the media throw a lot of names against the wall. It happens every time there’s an opening.

The club already is receiving a bunch of calls. Interest in the job will be intense.

I predicted that the hire would come from outside the organization, but serious consideration will be given to internal candidates, including bullpen coach Dom Chiti and Double-A Bowie pitching coach Alan Mills.

Mike Griffin is highly respected for his work at Triple-A Norfolk, which makes the Orioles reluctant to remove him. They love having him tied to their pitchers at the top affiliate.

I don’t expect director of pitching development Rick Peterson to be interviewed.

The Orioles are fortunate to have so many quality coaches and instructors working with their pitchers in various capacities, including special assignment pitching instructor Ramon Martinez and pitching rehabilitation coordinator Scott McGregor, who will at least be discussed.

As for external possibilities, Roger McDowell is expected to be interviewed after the Braves let him go. Andy Hawkins was among four finalists before the Orioles hired Dave Wallace, but don’t automatically assume that he’s back in the running. It’s an understanable leap, but not necessarily accurate.

Showalter inherited Rick Kranitz in 2010 and really likes and respects him, but he’s not expected to leave the Phillies, where he served as bullpen coach this year. You can leave him off your early lists unless you’re feeling nostalgic.

The Orioles anticipate that the rest of their coaches will return next season, but they’d need Chiti, if he doesn’t replace Wallace, to be comfortable with the new hire. They’d be working closely together. It’s not like Wallace only handled the starters and Chiti the relievers.

Bulletz

Smib
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,245.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see Matt coming back on a one year deal to give Sisco a little more seasoning down in Norfolk since they don't seem to think much of Perez and probably don't want Joseph and Pena as the two catchers on the main roster to start next season. Nolan and Pedro I do think are long gone.
Gausman, Tillman and Bundy are no brainer's for the rotation. If we can get the Ubaldo that pitched in September to pitch throughout the season, I'd love to have him. As for Gallardo and Miley, I'd trade them for batting practice balls and think we got the better end of the deal. Still don't know what we should do about Wright and Wilson.
Would also like to see a new hitting coach that teaches all of these guys patience at the plate. The hitters over-aggressiveness has hurt this team as much as it's helped. I think that the pitchers caught onto that in the 2nd half of the season and adjusted accordingly, which is why about half the time we were scoring 3 or less runs in games.

If we can get a decent #4 starter, I'm ok with letting Wilson and Wright battle it out for the 5 spot. It's not ideal, but the best we can hope for most likely.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can get a decent #4 starter, I'm ok with letting Wilson and Wright battle it out for the 5 spot. It's not ideal, but the best we can hope for most likely.
Right now, we have four guys battling for two spots. If we can get the Ubaldo we got in September throughout the season, I'd definitely give him a spot. It's the other three guys after that that will battle for the final spot.

Bulletz

Smib
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,245.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, we have four guys battling for two spots. If we can get the Ubaldo we got in September throughout the season, I'd definitely give him a spot. It's the other three guys after that that will battle for the final spot.
I guess I'm just optimistically thinking a couple of guys will get traded away.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'm just optimistically thinking a couple of guys will get traded away.
While I'd like to get Miley out of here, it'd be hard to do that unless we are a chunk of his contract. I think that Wilson and Wright needed more time in Norfolk to mature instead of being brought up when they were.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wrong, if Ubaldo took the 4th slot, then we'd have four guys fighting for the final slot because I completely forgot about Gallardo. I'd assume that they'd send Wilson and Wright to Norfolk and have the one that doesn't get the 5th slot in the bullpen.

Bulletz

Smib
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,245.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wrong, if Ubaldo took the 4th slot, then we'd have four guys fighting for the final slot because I completely forgot about Gallardo. I'd assume that they'd send Wilson and Wright to Norfolk and have the one that doesn't get the 5th slot in the bullpen.
We need a legitimate 4th starter, none of those three guys is near deserving. I don't trust September Ubaldo not to revert back to rest of the season Ubaldo, and Miley and Gallardo are just horrible. I'm fine with the three battling it out for the 5th spot.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a legitimate 4th starter, none of those three guys is near deserving. I don't trust September Ubaldo not to revert back to rest of the season Ubaldo, and Miley and Gallardo are just horrible. I'm fine with the three battling it out for the 5th spot.
I can understand your thinking about Ubaldo and agree about your concerns. I was doing a best case scenario there. Gallardo is an ok backend option because I hated seeing Miley take the mound.

Bulletz

Smib
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,245.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand your thinking about Ubaldo and agree about your concerns. I was doing a best case scenario there. Gallardo is an ok backend option because I hated seeing Miley take the mound.
Ideally though, we really need to find a solid #2 behind Tilly and slide everybody else down a peg, but that's probably a pipe dream.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ideally though, we really need to find a solid #2 behind Tilly and slide everybody else down a peg, but that's probably a pipe dream.
Agreed. Only problem is that from what I recall there really isn't a lot of high end starters on the market. They'll have to be traded for and we all know Dan won't give up anything of value in our barren farm system. If we could trade Davis for one maybe since that'd let us keep Mancini at first and maybe give us enough room to sign Trumbo? :noidea: