• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016/2017 Off-Season Thread

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He looks ok. He seems to be a solid 6th inning guy. Pretty much averages an inning an outing and only let 5 of 17 inherited runners score last year. He also had a 3.5 ERA and 1.5 WHIP.

Good camp competition. If he makes it, awesome. If not, good depth.

Throws hard, strikeout guy. If he's on his game could be a nice option. Wouldn't be in good shape if he was relied on to be a top guy.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throws hard, strikeout guy. If he's on his game could be a nice option. Wouldn't be in good shape if he was relied on to be a top guy.
Agreed. Probably a 30% chance to make the team, absent injuries. I'm excited about Gearrin this year; I think he breaks out and we have a new "core five"
Melancon
Smith
Strick
Law
Gearrin

Wouldn't suck if Osich stepped up too.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Probably a 30% chance to make the team, absent injuries. I'm excited about Gearrin this year; I think he breaks out and we have a new "core five"
Melancon
Smith
Strick
Law
Gearrin

The awesomeness that was the Core Four was that each filled a VITAL spot...

LOOGY
ROOGY
Long reliever
Closer

If you have those 4 spots filled by studs, you are set. And the great thing about the Core Four was that the Closer was actually the least of the 4.

In the 5 you mentioned, there isn't a LOOGY or long guy. You have a ROOGY (Strick) and a closer. Smith MAY be the Affeldt-long guy, but Bochy seemed to want to squeeze him into the LOOGY spot last year instead. Law may also qualifying as the 1 IP+ long guy, but he is more of a traditional 8th inning, closer-in-waiting type instead.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melancon
Smith
Strick
Law
Gearrin

I'm hoping that the knee injury last year was the root of Osich's problems and he's back on his game. Some of the best stuff if he's on.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The awesomeness that was the Core Four was that each filled a VITAL spot...

LOOGY
ROOGY
Long reliever
Closer

If you have those 4 spots filled by studs, you are set. And the great thing about the Core Four was that the Closer was actually the least of the 4.

In the 5 you mentioned, there isn't a LOOGY or long guy. You have a ROOGY (Strick) and a closer. Smith MAY be the Affeldt-long guy, but Bochy seemed to want to squeeze him into the LOOGY spot last year instead. Law may also qualifying as the 1 IP+ long guy, but he is more of a traditional 8th inning, closer-in-waiting type instead.
Yeah, no LOOGY, but I'm not sure you really need that guy if you've got an Affeldt or two.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Yes it is. I hear Slade Heathcott is going now too (Minor MLB Transactions: 2/17/17). Let's all try out! What do you all think? Time to break out the gloves and bats!

Hotels are too expensive... I probably have to pass. Maybe next year!

Slade just adds to the log jam in the outfield. He was once a super prospect for the Yankees, but multiple knee surgeries and off the field troubles later has put him here.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing inspires confidence for a player like an organization bringing in a dozen other players just in case you don't make the grade.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing inspires confidence for a player like an organization bringing in a dozen other players just in case you don't make the grade.

It's been 3 days and Mac is already getting lost in the options shuffle. It's really annoying, but I think we have to expect the Giants will try out the vets before the kids unless the vets REALLY blow it:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been 3 days and Mac is already getting lost in the options shuffle. It's really annoying, but I think we have to expect the Giants will try out the vets before the kids unless the vets REALLY blow it:

To be fair, he did basically say that Parker has squatters rights...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is a very low standard when this happens at Giants' camp. Consider the sheer number of veteran outfielders, one of them is going to make the team at the expense of Williamson. It will be interesting to see how the infield and outfield shake out, not just in SF but the upper minors. Considering the number of recent signings, not everyone is going to make the cuts, even if they stash a few away on reserve.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, he did basically say that Parker has squatters rights...
True. Its just the logic presented in this article is baffling. Williamson may need more time because he hasn't gotten enough at-bats. If Parker fails, the Giants need to carry someone who doesn't need to platoon. But Williamson needs to play full time and not scrape for at-bats. What am I missing here? Beyond the initial reason Sabean gives for Williamson needing more time in the minors sounding like he thought of an excuse on the spot, the logic sounds circular.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. Its just the logic presented in this article is baffling. Williamson may need more time because he hasn't gotten enough at-bats. If Parker fails, the Giants need to carry someone who doesn't need to platoon. But Williamson needs to play full time and not scrape for at-bats. What am I missing here? Beyond the initial reason Sabean gives for Williamson needing more time in the minors sounding like he thought of an excuse on the spot, the logic sounds circular.
He is just planting the seed for when Mac doesn't make the team. He wasn't talking to us. He was talking to the fan who listens with a half-ear and doesn't know the roster inside and out and is familiar with the minor leagues down to deepest depths like we do.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Teh Jimmy-Jack appears to be close to mid-season form already.

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some notes on the Giants found here - NL West Notes: Gonzalez, Hill, Arroyo, Morse, Hwang, Stewart. I couldn't substantiate the rumors that the Giants were opening a second camp site for all the veterans that they are picking up, that they are going to play all spring as split squads or that they were close to minor league deals with Tinker, Evers and Chance. I'm sure something will surface about those in the next few days.