• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-2016 off season discussion

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Signing Tyler Flowers yesterday was a pretty clear sign that the front office has pretty well given up on Bethancourt. It's a shame, but sometimes top prospects just don't pan out. If he's going to be another AAAA player, we might as well trade him in hopes that whoever the Padres give us might amount to something some day.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of now, our starting 8 will be something like:

C- Pierzynski
1B- Freeman
2B- Peterson
SS- Aybar
3B- Beckham
LF- Olivera
CF- Inciarte
RF- Markakis

I wish we would just keep Olivera at third and put Mallex Smith in center or left. Smith and Inciarte could be our version of Juan Pierre and Luis Castillo.

Our starting 5 looks something like:

1. Teheran
2. Wisler
3. Perez
4. Norris

It'll be interesting to see who our 5th starter will be. Personally, I think Folty will start the year as the 5th starter, but he will eventually move to the pen and Newcomb will take over.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of now, our starting 8 will be something like:

C- Pierzynski
1B- Freeman
2B- Peterson
SS- Aybar
3B- Beckham
LF- Olivera
CF- Inciarte
RF- Markakis

I wish we would just keep Olivera at third and put Mallex Smith in center or left. Smith and Inciarte could be our version of Juan Pierre and Luis Castillo.

Our starting 5 looks something like:

1. Teheran
2. Wisler
3. Perez
4. Norris

It'll be interesting to see who our 5th starter will be. Personally, I think Folty will start the year as the 5th starter, but he will eventually move to the pen and Newcomb will take over.

Apparently Blair could be ready to go into the rotation. He reportedly features stuff very similar to Shelby Miller. I read they are still shopping Teheran and Perez. As you said, Newcomb will be close. Blair and Newcomb's arrival could depend on service time concerns. Maybe late May or June?

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Blair could be ready to go into the rotation. He reportedly features stuff very similar to Shelby Miller. I read they are still shopping Teheran and Perez. As you said, Newcomb will be close. Blair and Newcomb's arrival could depend on service time concerns. Maybe late May or June?

Apparently the Cubs were willing to give us Soler for Miller, but they understandably wouldn't match the Dbacks offer. But with Miller gone now, I'd like to keep Teheran. He ended last season strong and I don't want our rotation to be 4 rookies and Bud Norris.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the Cubs were willing to give us Soler for Miller, but they understandably wouldn't match the Dbacks offer. But with Miller gone now, I'd like to keep Teheran. He ended last season strong and I don't want our rotation to be 4 rookies and Bud Norris.

I am still amazed at what we got for Miller. I had a hard time sleeping last night I was so excited... I agree about Teheran. We will need some guys that can pitch 180-200 innings. Besides, would be selling low on Teheran after last year (unless someone makes an offer we can't refuse).

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have been pleased with just Soler. The package from the Dbacks is pretty shocking.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still amazed at what we got for Miller. I had a hard time sleeping last night I was so excited... I agree about Teheran. We will need some guys that can pitch 180-200 innings. Besides, would be selling low on Teheran after last year (unless someone makes an offer we can't refuse).

It's only the third time in MLB history that a number 1 overall pick was traded before his MLB debut, and the first time ever the number 1 overall pick was traded before the next season's draft. And Blair being near MLB ready and Inciarte instantly becoming our second best position player is the best haul we've got in any trade since the rebuild started.

The Dbacks must think highly of AJ Pollack, because they declined Miller for Pollack straight up.

Like you said, I would have been happy with just Soler or Pollack in return.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're bringing back Emilio Bonifacio on a 1 year deal.

He sucked pretty bad last season, but was battling oblique problems.

Low risk signing that I have no problem with.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that trade.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty widely assumed but officially alcohol and cocaine...

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We signed Jhoulys Chacin to a minor league deal today. He was pretty good for the Rockies a couple years ago, I could see him making our rotation, or at least the bull pen. Good, low risk, possibly high reward move IMO.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We signed Jhoulys Chacin to a minor league deal today. He was pretty good for the Rockies a couple years ago, I could see him making our rotation, or at least the bull pen. Good, low risk, possibly high reward move IMO.
I remember him. Not bad at all.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to come around more on our new GM.

He says they're listening to offers on anyone other than Freddie Freeman. If Freeman gets traded now, we can put his head on a pike outside Turner Field, because from the sounds of this Freeman WILL NOT be traded, and with key players, they will need to be blown away(if teams offer a similar package as the one we got for Miller, we'd be fools not to accept)

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GO BRAVES!!!! Im starting to come around on some of the moves, still dont think we should trade Freeman though.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GO BRAVES!!!! Im starting to come around on some of the moves, still dont think we should trade Freeman though.

Our new GM has stated publicly that they aren't even taking calls on Freeman, so if he gets traded, we'll have every right to bitch.

If we're keeping Freeman, we're probably done with any big moves for a while. Really, Teheran is the only other piece we have left that we could get good value for other than Inciarte, and I don't want to trade him before he even plays.