• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs - Round 3 - Kings vs Hawks

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know guys. I usually have an optimistic view even when their backs are against the boards. But they are not playing like we are used to seeing them play. The Kings on the other hand are. They're scoring in bunches, playing great defense, and their PP and PK units are killing us. Sad to say, but the Kings are playing like the Hawks did in their Cup runs.

The Hawks still have a chance, and that's what makes us fans -believing.

But being down 3-1 against a team who not only has dismantled the Hawks repeatedly throughout this series as well as being the number one defensive team in the league, good luck. Crawford needs to have a huge game, he has not been good. He also has not had a lot of help, especially from Seabrook - that guy has been horrid.

I agree about the Kings defense. Disagree about Crawford. All goalies are good for a soft goal or two. King Henry and Price gave up some 40-footers yesterday which are considered soft. Crawford has been fine IMO. The Hawks' defense shouldn't let the Kings camp out at the top of/in the crease. Crawford can't stop what he can't see. Great for the Kings. Bad for the Hawks. Hawks have had trouble clearing the puck in the defensive zone too.

What usually bails the Hawks out is a scoring barrage by all 4 lines. That is missing.

Maybe the Hawks have one more win up their sleeve. Maybe. The whole team is on the hook. I'm willing to give Toews and Hossa a pass - they've hustled on every shift. (Honorable mention to Saad.) But the rest of the team needs to step it up or this series will be over in game 5.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Hawks win this next game, the entire series turns around.

To me, that was Game 4. I was thinking if the Kings win it, the Hawks will not come back in this. LA is not Minnesota, St. Louis or the Red Wings of last year - they are eons better than them and this is a challenge Chicago has not seen yet and it's being proven.

But the Hawks have the winning pedigree just like LA, Boston and recent Cup champions so I am not expecting this to be a walk in the park either. In fact, I would be extremely surprised because that says the Hawks weren't as good as advertised and I don't believe that, they are a good team.

In my opinion. If Toews, Kane, Hossa and Sharp get into that zone, with their backs against the wall, they're the toughest team to finish off.

That's asking for a LOT my man. You're asking for 4 of your T6 forwards to deliver in a must-win game when apart from glimpses of Toews throughout the series, the other 3 guys have been completely MIA and have been blanketed by the LA Kings from every player to every line.

I was most worried about Sharpe, that guy just screams down the wing when he plays LA, grins and roofs it on Quick. He has been a King killer for some time now.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know guys. I usually have an optimistic view even when their backs are against the boards. But they are not playing like we are used to seeing them play. The Kings on the other hand are. They're scoring in bunches, playing great defense, and their PP and PK units are killing us. Sad to say, but the Kings are playing like the Hawks did in their Cup runs.

The Kings are hitting their peak right now, and are looking like they did in 2012 when they won the Cup. They've gotten better as they have gone deeper into the playoffs.

I agree about the Kings defense. Disagree about Crawford. All goalies are good for a soft goal or two. King Henry and Price gave up some 40-footers yesterday which are considered soft. Crawford has been fine IMO.

Unless Price gave one up from the rafters, I'm pretty sure you meant Tokarski since Price is injured and not expected to return in this series. Lundqvist, I don't know what was up yesterday, he looked absolutely sloppy.

All goalies give up softies, no question, but they also must come up with a game changer/saver at some point to stop the bleeding and give their team a chance. Crawford has not done that, I should have worded this better. While he hasn't been terrible, he has not helped the Hawks.

Case in point, in Game 2 where the Hawks were up 2-0 and then Seabrook had a chance to make it 3-0, Quick robbed him of a wide open net on the 2-on-1. That was a game saver and a changer. Williams goes on to score shortly after and the barrage was on scoring 6 straight goals.

Crawford has not done this and the 3-1 deficit is a direct result of this.

The Hawks' defense shouldn't let the Kings camp out at the top of/in the crease. Crawford can't stop what he can't see. Great for the Kings. Bad for the Hawks. Hawks have had trouble clearing the puck in the defensive zone too.

This to me is the bigger issue with your team. The defense has not been able to move guys out from in front of Crawford, the Kings are owning the net battles at both ends of the ice.

It's easier said than done - the Kings are the biggest team in the NHL (averaging 6'1", 210) - and have some big forwards in Kopitar, Carter, King, and to a degree Brown but I don't even see much of a push back from Seabrook, Keith, Hjalmarsson, etc. I don't expect the smaller guys like Oduya and Leddy to have a chance against these guys, which is why they have not been out there much against the bigger forwards.

But shoring that area up somehow - maybe getting some forward help down low, double teaming, something, would go a long way in letting Crawford be a better goalie.

What usually bails the Hawks out is a scoring barrage by all 4 lines. That is missing.

And that's probably not going to happen against LA. Their defense is their strength, and the numbers have proven it the better part of the last 5-6 years. The Hawks need to get into the dirty areas and score the dirty goals, this will be about will power more than fire power.

Maybe the Hawks have one more win up their sleeve. Maybe. The whole team is on the hook. I'm willing to give Toews and Hossa a pass - they've hustled on every shift. (Honorable mention to Saad.) But the rest of the team needs to step it up or this series will be over in game 5.

Agree. I have been impressed with the Kings shutting almost everyone down, but also surprised to see guys like Kane, Hossa and Sharpe not being able to even generate real chances. They are highly skilled, upper end players.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After LA took that 4-3 lead, the light went on for the Hawks. And we saw a much faster, much more determined Hawks team, one that we're accustomed to seeing.

LA better hope we don't come out in game 6 flying all over the ice, because if we do, we'll win.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After LA took that 4-3 lead, the light went on for the Hawks. And we saw a much faster, much more determined Hawks team, one that we're accustomed to seeing.

LA better hope we don't come out in game 6 flying all over the ice, because if we do, we'll win.

well, the one difference, hopefully the D men get us a lead and then go back to making sure they get back to the points to stop the odd man rushes against forwards. That first overtime is gonna be remembered for a long time.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, the one difference, hopefully the D men get us a lead and then go back to making sure they get back to the points to stop the odd man rushes against forwards. That first overtime is gonna be remembered for a long time.

Who was it that was way too aggressive on one of those LA goals. Was it Keith?

They said early in the game, that the light has never been greener for our d-men, but there were some instances where they were way too aggressive.

But those overtimes played right into our hands. Fast, up and down, no whistles. The last thing you want to do is get into a track meet with the Hawks.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But those overtimes played right into our hands. Fast, up and down, no whistles. The last thing you want to do is get into a track meet with the Hawks.

Yup - the Kings are not built for that type of game.

Overall a good game, I will say the Hawks were gifted some of those calls we discussed a few posts back, but a much better effort. The Hawks looked alive, more than any point in the series but I guess elimination will do that to you.

Quick was leaving fat rebounds all over the place too, and the Hawks capitalized. Still saying this ends Friday in LA but this has been one hell of a series. Almost sad to see it end.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was it that was way too aggressive on one of those LA goals. Was it Keith?

They said early in the game, that the light has never been greener for our d-men, but there were some instances where they were way too aggressive.

Thats the first thing I thought, it was a green light, but after they got a two goal lead it should have been explained its yellow now.

I dont think it really played into the hawks hands, LA is just as quick and just as happy to skate with speed.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not denying it - I'm saying get over it.

I can find a bunch of video too where Hawks players mauled Kings players and didn't get calls. Just the way it works.

Good teams assume the officiating will not be on their side and find ways to win in spite of the zebras.

PuckingUgly57 said:
I will say the Hawks were gifted some of those calls we discussed a few posts back

Hmmmmm..... :suds:

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup - the Kings are not built for that type of game.

Overall a good game, I will say the Hawks were gifted some of those calls we discussed a few posts back, but a much better effort. The Hawks looked alive, more than any point in the series but I guess elimination will do that to you.

Quick was leaving fat rebounds all over the place too, and the Hawks capitalized. Still saying this ends Friday in LA but this has been one hell of a series. Almost sad to see it end.

I dont know about gifts, at least the Hawk dmen started to interfere with the kings players chasing dump ins and didnt get called.

Manchild Saad lived up to his name, finally. Versteeg with two turnovers on one shift never saw the ice again, 6 minutes in an 82 minute game. At least the hawks might have 12 forwards on Friday when Regin is back in the lineup. Yeah, Quick left some rebounds, but Crawford was not stellar either, lot of bail out of goaltenders by defensive players again.

The vision that sticks with me most is Patrick Kane trying to put a hat on for an after game interview that of course NBC did not stick around for. His hands were shaking he was so jacked up from that game. Hawks look focused, one more game of winning shifts on Friday, see what happens, there is no more looking ahead to a next game for these hawks.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know about gifts, at least the Hawk dmen started to interfere with the kings players chasing dump ins and didnt get called.

The first penalty of the game was a gift, Toews fell on his own more than anything and then the "cross check" to Kane was a shove and not the extended arms. Those are gifts and like I said earlier, both teams get them throughout a series so I'm not too worried about and it doesn't alter too much of a game and can't be used as excuses.

The Kings could have killed the PP but didn't so it's a moot point.

Manchild Saad lived up to his name, finally. Versteeg with two turnovers on one shift never saw the ice again, 6 minutes in an 82 minute game. At least the hawks might have 12 forwards on Friday when Regin is back in the lineup. Yeah, Quick left some rebounds, but Crawford was not stellar either, lot of bail out of goaltenders by defensive players again.

The vision that sticks with me most is Patrick Kane trying to put a hat on for an after game interview that of course NBC did not stick around for. His hands were shaking he was so jacked up from that game. Hawks look focused, one more game of winning shifts on Friday, see what happens, there is no more looking ahead to a next game for these hawks.

Saad is going to be a great player, I enjoyed watching him last year and even more so this year seeing how he developed. Good, young player with some great hands and intelligence.

It was a sloppy game in a lot of facets, I don't expect that again tomorrow night. My money is still on LA closing it out tomorrow. It goes to Game 7 and I don't like those chances for LA, they've already been through 2 this post season and the Hockey Gods tend to strike if given too many chances.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were three kings with their sticks at the skates of Toews on that first play. Basically, the league cannot see footage of that hook around regins neck and not have a talking to of the crew that is on the next game.

They showed replays of the first cross check to kane, the penalty was for the second that they threw since they didnt get called for a penalty on the first one. Sad part was that was the old LA kings beat the hell out of kane mentality they tried to use since 2010.

Hawks packed an extra case or two or momentum to take with for tomorrow night. My bigger question is if Q is gonna ever pull Crawford for Raanta after softies and a two goal deficit. I am guessing no, but it sure worked with the d man shuffle yesterday.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were three kings with their sticks at the skates of Toews on that first play. Basically, the league cannot see footage of that hook around regins neck and not have a talking to of the crew that is on the next game.

They showed replays of the first cross check to kane, the penalty was for the second that they threw since they didnt get called for a penalty on the first one. Sad part was that was the old LA kings beat the hell out of kane mentality they tried to use since 2010.

So because calls were missed, make up calls should be delivered? I don't believe in that either. If you missed it, you missed it.

Hawks packed an extra case or two or momentum to take with for tomorrow night. My bigger question is if Q is gonna ever pull Crawford for Raanta after softies and a two goal deficit. I am guessing no, but it sure worked with the d man shuffle yesterday.

Crawford made some good saves for the Hawks after the Pearson softie, he made more than Quick did and deserved to win.

Quick was uncharacteristically sloppy, if he tightens that up tonight it's going to be very hard for Chicago to bring it home for Game 7.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew we'd tie this series. Now we have all the momentum.

I can't tell you how proud I am of this team. Never say die

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew we'd tie this series. Now we have all the momentum.

I can't tell you how proud I am of this team. Never say die

yeah it kinda sucks to just expect it, Its almost reminding me of the bulls run with MJ. We have been given some incredible hockey. Man what a move by Q with the hodge podge defense and double shifting kane, saad and smith on different lines to dress brooks to spell the back end and give some physical play. He didnt play much, but I was almost expecting him to be on the ice at the end to have three d men back there to shut down the finish. Some incredible chances for LA by the net at the end. Kane is really getting a ton of help with Saad and Shaw creating space, I am so glad we have a superstar that acknowledges his teammates first.

Big difference between coming back in two series to force a game seven and closing out a series when pushed to a game 7. Now all I can hope for is the A team gets to call the game tomorrow so Doc and Enzo can point out a bunch of stuff this crew is missing and make this even better.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One hell of a game last night, one hell of a series.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah it kinda sucks to just expect it, Its almost reminding me of the bulls run with MJ. We have been given some incredible hockey. Man what a move by Q with the hodge podge defense and double shifting kane, saad and smith on different lines to dress brooks to spell the back end and give some physical play. He didnt play much, but I was almost expecting him to be on the ice at the end to have three d men back there to shut down the finish. Some incredible chances for LA by the net at the end. Kane is really getting a ton of help with Saad and Shaw creating space, I am so glad we have a superstar that acknowledges his teammates first.

Big difference between coming back in two series to force a game seven and closing out a series when pushed to a game 7. Now all I can hope for is the A team gets to call the game tomorrow so Doc and Enzo can point out a bunch of stuff this crew is missing and make this even better.

I'd love to have Doc and Eddie.

I'm getting tired of listening to how great Doughty is every 3 minutes. I'm sick of these announcers.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Price gave one up from the rafters, I'm pretty sure you meant Tokarski since Price is injured and not expected to return in this series.

Oops! Not getting much sleep watching these games. Funny thing is, I was talking to a friend from Montreal and referred to Price a few times, and he never corrected me.

So, here we are, game 7. This may be exciting for other NHL fans, but this series is draining me emotionally. Forgot who said it earlier, but I hope too that they bring in Doc and Edzo for game 7. I had to mute the volume the last 2 games because the announcing/dialogue was annoying. I'd listen on WGN radio but there's a huge audio delay.

Hey Ugly, can't speak for the others, but its nice to get a reasonable guy who knows his hockey on the board (who isn't a troll). Regardless of what happens in game 7, don't be a stranger.

Last edited by a moderator:

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CHICAGO IRISH, my friend, the kings are a different animal and better than your hawks

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be cool dude, series is over and overall Hawks fans didn't troll our board. I do think Irish's "Hawks are a different animal" comment was a premature, Minnesota and St. Louis were not true contenders but that also needs to be taken into context - based on how Chicago handled them, what else was he supposed to believe? The Hawks beat them and did so in championship fashion. I didn't take it personally.

He also followed it up with some good commentary so I don't think that should be held against him. The Hawks and their fans found out tonight that all streaks come to an end and fortunate bounces can kill you just as much as help you. Going down 3-1 just about spells death no matter how good or lucky or both your team is.

Overall this was arguably the best series I have witnessed in probably 20-25 years. The NY NJ series was epic in 1994 and of course TO and the Kings in 1993. This one ranks up there if not as the best one.