• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Season: Year in Review

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another forgettable season for the Jays. I know mathematically they are still very much in it, but perspective is needed. Last year it took 92 wins to get the second WC spot. This year should be pretty much the same, give or take a few games.

Jays are 67-66. They ain't going 25-4 the rest of the way.

If the Jays want to consider this season "improvement" (always easy to do when the prior season you were horrendous), so be it, but as a fan I can't take them seriously next year unless they:

1. Fire Gibbons
2. Fire AA (although I thought I read they just extended him, so impressed they were with 5 years of failure)
3. Add two more legit starters to the rotation.

Next year I think the only guy that has me excited for SP is Stroman. Buehrle and Dickey I'm okay with as #4 and #5 starters...not #1 and #2. They failed miserably doing nothing at the trade deadline and that bit them.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed on all counts. We also need to rid ourselves of Colby Rasmus and Casey Janssen if at all possible.

Totally sucks how the season unfolded after such a promising start.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You nailed it with Rasmus. What a joke. He's been awful since the moment he showed up.

I disagree with Janssen. Do you mean as a closer or in general? I could see swapping him out if we can upgrade at the closer spot, but I think there is room for him on the roster.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another forgettable season for the Jays. I know mathematically they are still very much in it, but perspective is needed. Last year it took 92 wins to get the second WC spot. This year should be pretty much the same, give or take a few games.

Jays are 67-66. They ain't going 25-4 the rest of the way.

If the Jays want to consider this season "improvement" (always easy to do when the prior season you were horrendous), so be it, but as a fan I can't take them seriously next year unless they:

1. Fire Gibbons
2. Fire AA (although I thought I read they just extended him, so impressed they were with 5 years of failure)
3. Add two more legit starters to the rotation.

Next year I think the only guy that has me excited for SP is Stroman. Buehrle and Dickey I'm okay with as #4 and #5 starters...not #1 and #2. They failed miserably doing nothing at the trade deadline and that bit them.

Long time fan here, was at the very first game at the Mistake by the Lake 4/7/77.

Have not seen too many games live this year, but this appears to be a good summary. Along with the dump Rasmus sentiment.

But really, is that all they need? Would 2 starters be enough to make them legit contenders? I have a feeling Sanchez will be the real deal also.

What about C?
Is Lawrie too injury prone?
What about team leadership in the clubhouse?

Intersted in thoughts from people who have seen more games than I

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think leadership in the clubhouse is a great issue to bring up and it starts with firing Gibbons. Hard to tell by just watching games beyond that, but it seems like they have a group of guys that get along and have some respected leaders (Joey Bats).

I do think two legit starters would make them legit contenders. The offense is already there. They only need a few minor upgrades. I love Reyes, Joey Bats, EE, Navarro, Melky, and Lind. That's six out of nine spots you don't need to fix.

Imagine if the Jays had two guys like say, Iwakuma and Scherzer in their rotation this year. Legit #1 and #2 starters. We'd be a wild card spot easy. They'd then be in a quality spot to debate who should be 3-5 and have five guys that could fill those roles. Stroman would be a great #3. Buehrle and Dickey in the BACK END of a rotation would be nothing to complain about either.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You nailed it with Rasmus. What a joke. He's been awful since the moment he showed up.

I disagree with Janssen. Do you mean as a closer or in general? I could see swapping him out if we can upgrade at the closer spot, but I think there is room for him on the roster.

Janssen with another blown save last night. This guy just doesn't have it anymore. We had a chance to pull witihin' 3.5 of the 2nd WC spot, and he comes in and gives up 3 ER in the bottom of the 10th. He's been a formidable closer the past few year, but his 4.5 ERA is ugly this year, and he's blown saves in crucial games. We'd be on a 7 game streak if he can hold a 2 run lead last night.

I love how their teasing us the past couple weeks by just staying within' sniffing distance :gaah:

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, good point. Janssen has been awful lately and if you can't be relied upon in times like this, you shouldn't be a closer.

I think the Jays are done once they hit 70 losses. This is the time of year when the true WC contenders all play tough, go on streaks and separate from the pack. Jays aren't that. If they were, they wouldn't drop a series to the horrible Red Sox

all4ripken

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jays aren't out of the Wild Card by any means. They still have a huge 4 game series at home against Seattle.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are pretty much out of it. If Seattle were the only team they were chasing, I'd agree. But they also need to catch either Oakland or Detroit/KC. I still think the second WC team is going to need around 90-92 wins and the Jays aren't going to get there.

Here's why: To do that they'd have to finish the season 14-1 or 12-3.

They still have a four set against the Yankees IN NEW YORK. That's in call caps for a reason. They've won like one of their last like 20 games in NY. There is no room for error and they need to sweep many of their remaining series. The idea of them going like 1-19 in NY and suddenly 4-0 in the next series is unrealistic.

A road series in Baltimore won't help either.

So while I think they can win any of their next few series, that's not enough. Can they sweep TB, NYY, BAL xs 2 or SEA? They will need to sweep at least 3 of them.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They just won't go away.

Only 3.5 back of that final spot again. COME ON!! Win 9 straight again!

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've gone away. Not surprised.

The real question (as it probably should have been from day 1) is will they be over .500? And if they are, do Jays fans consider this a "successful year"? I certainly don't. We have to remember the high expectations made when AA made a flurry of huge moves two years ago. Year One was arguably the worst year in Jays history (so far as performing under expectations) and Year Two is still not what those moves were supposed to yield. AA has had long enough.

Time to clean house.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to think he'll be gone, but it won't happen. Considering we were 15 games over .500 at one point, and had a 5.5 game lead in the division, this season turned to crap. Outside of Hutch, Stroman and Sanchez, I'd like them to blow up the whole staff. Maybe keep Buehrle.....maybe. Everyone needs to pack sand.

I'd also like to see Rasmus gone. Whatever it takes.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long time fan here, was at the very first game at the Mistake by the Lake 4/7/77.

Have not seen too many games live this year, but this appears to be a good summary. Along with the dump Rasmus sentiment.

But really, is that all they need? Would 2 starters be enough to make them legit contenders? I have a feeling Sanchez will be the real deal also.

What about C?
Is Lawrie too injury prone?
What about team leadership in the clubhouse?

Intersted in thoughts from people who have seen more games than I

Is this AA?