• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Pac 12 Baseball Thread

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just thought I'd get this party started. Still a while away, but hoping that we can get a third consecutive NC from those dirty SEC fucks!!!!

Open to all, and looking to have some good convos before and during the conference season gets under way. Go Pac!!!!!!

How is everyone expecting to look this year?? AZ got a pretty solid recruiting class, but I think the cupboard is a bit bare this year to make any real noise. Still though, setting down a nice foundations with the best facilities/stadium in the Pac, the NC, and a ranked recruiting class. Looking forward to the season!

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fun fact. Arizona and UCLA combined to go 20-0 in the last two CWS (10-0 each). It had only been done once before. Now its happened the last 2 years.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC has all dem national titles, we need to pick it up, it's rather sad right now

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a good fucking team this year! Lots of returners and our pitching is deadly!

:noidea: ASU fans say that every year about baseball, and yet no NCs since Muhammed Ali retired, and Reagan was inaugurated.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:noidea: ASU fans say that every year about baseball, and yet no NCs since Muhammed Ali retired, and Reagan was inaugurated.

I mean we have won our share of NCs. I mean if you guys didnt win a NC in basketball for the next 15 years which I dont think will happen but if it did I would still count you guys as a basketball school.

NCS aren't everything man trust me they mean a lot! But the players that ASU has turned pro, and the winning percentage it has to mean something?

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing to do with baseball but I found your comment stupid CTP!

Hahahaha, just poking the bear.

NCs are not the only thing at all. But it is the greatest form of validation. Even one, just one, is what anyone can really point at to show tangible success. One NC is night and day from zero. If AZ doesn't win an NC in the next 15 years in basketball, then there is a huge problem. And honestly, regardless of the wins and losses, the draft picks, and the tourney wins, you can really question a school that claims to be a basketball school without having won it in over 3 decades. AZ would be no different. Now, there is certainly an argument that a school can still be dominant without winning an NC in over 3 decades. But there is not argument if they win it. Clear difference.

Look at IU basketball. Obviously a basketball school. They haven't won it since '86. And if another 5 years goes by, and IU doesn't win it all, then IU success will just be seen as something that IU is milking from the Bobby Knight era (and prior). Because when it really comes down to it, IU won't be a threat to win it all. THe only thing you can point to as a true marker of success, will be from decades and decades ago. It still puts them in a position to win it (because the recruits will still base it on the brand), but when it comes down to it, There is nothing you can point to, to say that IU currently belongs among basketball elite in March. Same with UCLA. They won it in '95. But in another 10 years in Westwood without a title, UCLA will be in shambles (compared to where they were when they were considered a mainstay at the top of CBB.

You can also say the same thing about UW football. They haven't won it since '92. And if another 10 years goes by with nothing, how can anyone claim that UW is still a football school?

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need NCs but as long as you have a couple and even if it's over a long period of time. But I mean that's like saying the Suns don't have a successful franchise even though they have a pretty rich history in the valley but they don't have a ring. Uofa is a basketball school and they will continue to be one as long as the university doesn't fall down.

Asu would probably be a football school in like the 1950- to mid 80s and then mediocre years and some good years came after but I look at Asu football as a sleeping giant that is starting to wake up. Uofa has just sustained so much success from Lute that they will always be gettjng great recruits and making NCAA tournaments there a basketball school. I think Asu baseball is built the same way they have to much history and recruits understand that regardless of the last NC they won.

I am just making a point that I don't see Asu baseball or Uofa baseball falling down this is a fucking baseball state and the history between those 2 programs you ask a highschool kid top prospect in az do you wanna go to Asu they would say yea in a heartbeat and Uofa vice versa.

The thing with UW I think it may show that it's harder to keep and sustain success in football than in basketball.

IU though all the legends! They are building it back up I think if the program has rich history it can always be built back up especially after those allegations. Lute left UA a legacy in basketball and UA made the right hire in Sean Miller and you got him because of the foundation Lute built. This is also a basketball state and will always be one except Asu just can't find the right coach!

IU and UA are the only ones that know how to recruit. Nick Johnson and Victor Oladipo are types of players Kentucky needs to go after instead of just getting super freshmen Miller knows what he's doing. Our coach coach Sendek has no plan. His recruiting class has great athletes and speed but it doesn't make sense............. Oh well!

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing though. And I know how this is going to sound. But I'm going to tell you this as someone who clearly doesn't have a dog in the fight. The Suns are not know as one of the best basketball franchises, and that is definitely because they haven't won it yet. They have the winning %, but no rings. When you think best basketball franchises, you think Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Bulls, Pistons. Then you think of the ones from back in the day: 76ers, Knicks, Blazers. Then you think of the ones that haven't won but have done well, and the ones that have won, but only recently: Suns, Heat. But keep all of this in mind. Even saying that the Suns are top ten (which I just did), you have to remember that only 8 teams have won it in over 30 years. So, being #9 or #10 isn't that much of a compliment.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For consistant success, allstars, playoff wins, winning percentage. Its a top 5 franchise but it depends how you fit rings into the equation but yea. Rings matter but when you only have missed the playoffs 2 years in a row only a couple of times that means something. The Knicks have an awful franchise once again its about consistant success and the suns rarely have had awful teams and the expectation in the Colangelo days was always playoffs and he would almost always live up to that promise.

But yea baseball!

Last edited by a moderator:

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm so fucking stoked!!!! I wish I was still in Tucson so I could go and watch some games with a frosty brew. But I think the P12 channel will be live streaming the games again this year, so at least I'll get to watch a few online.