• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Draft

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't get thru the entire reel yet, but you can see the effect of the speed with Shazier...I know there are more times he's probably not, but he's getting to the QB on those clips...whereas Foote used to be in the vincity but couldn't quite impact the play...footspeed.

Reading where Zumwalt is surprising folks up there...really glad to hear that.

I think the speed of Shazier will be much more apparent come September. I like to think I know what to expect from college game film, but until you see it during a game, you don't quite know lol. But I have high hopes for Shazier. He's in a perfect situation to succeed IMO.. coming in under Butler & Porter's mentoring and playing in the middle with Timmons (assuming he starts at mack). I think realistically he will spot start in certain packages, like Jarvis' start to last season. Then over the course of the season he probably will cement himself as the starter. I still like Vince Williams as a 2-down LBer, and could become a complete starter now that things have "slowed down" a bit for him.

Zumwalt... I've been hearing good things on the radio about him. He seems to have the right mindset coming in and knowing he needs to expand his position flexibility. I see him filling Sylvester's shoes quite nicely if he makes the roster. He has stiff competition, but still will be one of the more interesting people to watch in camps. I have higher hopes for him at OLB than I do for the ongoing Chris Carter experiment.

LeBeau certainly has a stocked cabinet of LBs. :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the speed of Shazier will be much more apparent come September. I like to think I know what to expect from college game film, but until you see it during a game, you don't quite know lol. But I have high hopes for Shazier. He's in a perfect situation to succeed IMO.. coming in under Butler & Porter's mentoring and playing in the middle with Timmons (assuming he starts at mack). I think realistically he will spot start in certain packages, like Jarvis' start to last season. Then over the course of the season he probably will cement himself as the starter. I still like Vince Williams as a 2-down LBer, and could become a complete starter now that things have "slowed down" a bit for him.

Zumwalt... I've been hearing good things on the radio about him. He seems to have the right mindset coming in and knowing he needs to expand his position flexibility. I see him filling Sylvester's shoes quite nicely if he makes the roster. He has stiff competition, but still will be one of the more interesting people to watch in camps. I have higher hopes for him at OLB than I do for the ongoing Chris Carter experiment.

LeBeau certainly has a stocked cabinet of LBs. :yahoo:

No idea how he will translate to the NFL game once the pads come on as you say...but when you see the playmakers on DEF in the NFL, especially LBs, most have a burst, or great anticipation...he has the burst, the anticipation will take time.

My thoughts as well for on the field action this season...a sub pkg player with Williams in the base. I'm wanting to see a nice jump in development from J.Jones...Worilds still has incentive to earn a long term deal...Zumwalt can play OLB...can blame Lebeau really...Woodley was a blow, but not really the playmaker he was being paid to be anymore...the DEF got better overall with a new S, and the LBs position went from bare to full. I'm interested to get coach Mitch's view point on McCullers and Tuitt once camp gets started.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea how he will translate to the NFL game once the pads come on as you say...but when you see the playmakers on DEF in the NFL, especially LBs, most have a burst, or great anticipation...he has the burst, the anticipation will take time.

My thoughts as well for on the field action this season...a sub pkg player with Williams in the base. I'm wanting to see a nice jump in development from J.Jones...Worilds still has incentive to earn a long term deal...Zumwalt can play OLB...can blame Lebeau really...Woodley was a blow, but not really the playmaker he was being paid to be anymore...the DEF got better overall with a new S, and the LBs position went from bare to full. I'm interested to get coach Mitch's view point on McCullers and Tuitt once camp gets started.

Jarvis... He's making all the right things happen this offseason. I'm hoping that he is still building his strength up, even though he still looks small. That defense definitely needs him to step up big, regardless of how Worilds does. Judging by the training videos I posted of Worilds' workout down in Atlanta, i would say Worilds' means serious business this offseason. I expect him to get an extension.

McCullers... Only thing that I have heard from Mitchell is that the kid is gigantic and needs to lose weight. I've heard good things about his work ethic and determination, which is always good!

Tuitt... From the draft presser Mitchell seems very excited to have this kid. But he hasn't made any comments since.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jarvis... He's making all the right things happen this offseason. I'm hoping that he is still building his strength up, even though he still looks small. That defense definitely needs him to step up big, regardless of how Worilds does. Judging by the training videos I posted of Worilds' workout down in Atlanta, i would say Worilds' means serious business this offseason. I expect him to get an extension.

McCullers... Only thing that I have heard from Mitchell is that the kid is gigantic and needs to lose weight. I've heard good things about his work ethic and determination, which is always good!

Tuitt... From the draft presser Mitchell seems very excited to have this kid. But he hasn't made any comments since.

J. Jones...great player, good, not a great athlete (I always felt Ogeltree was the better prospect on that UGA squad)...my fear is athletically he might maxed out...stronger certainly, faster, no...more knowledge of the DEF will help...we shall see.

Tuitt...has a chance to start or most certainly be in the rotation @ DE...could be the key for a new look Lebeau DEF...if he can be as active as Heyward pass rushing from the DE position...that will take a lot of pressure off J. Jones and allow Lebeau to me more effective with the ilb blitzes again.

McCullers, I'm just wondering how will they use him. I watched maybe 3 TN games that I recall him playing in and he did standout as repeatedly being dbl teamed.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
J. Jones...great player, good, not a great athlete (I always felt Ogeltree was the better prospect on that UGA squad)...my fear is athletically he might maxed out...stronger certainly, faster, no...more knowledge of the DEF will help...we shall see.

Tuitt...has a chance to start or most certainly be in the rotation @ DE...could be the key for a new look Lebeau DEF...if he can be as active as Heyward pass rushing from the DE position...that will take a lot of pressure off J. Jones and allow Lebeau to me more effective with the ilb blitzes again.

McCullers, I'm just wondering how will they use him. I watched maybe 3 TN games that I recall him playing in and he did standout as repeatedly being dbl teamed.

J. Jones… I sure hope he hasn't maxed out athletically. Maybe Peezy will unlock the beast within lol. I did like Ogletree as well, and we were right in that thought because he looked really promising last season for STL.

Tuitt… I't is definitely going to be an interesting position to watch. I think Tuitt will be the starter week 1, just because I don't think Thomas is anything more than a swing/relief type player. He was benched in SD for a reason. Behind Thomas the only others that could challenge Tuitt would be possibly Nick Williams, Brian Arnfelt, or UDFA Josh Mauro out of Stanford. Just by looking at that depth on paper I would say Tuitt is the starter. But like Tomlin said: "They'll sort themselves out on the grass of Latrobe". Also there still could be a possibility of putting McCullers at NT & moving McLendon outside. Why wouldn't they weigh that possibility??? NT isn't on the field as much anymore so they just need to plug in a big coke machine to plug a hole a few plays out of every series. McCullers could do just that from sheer size alone.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
J. Jones… I sure hope he hasn't maxed out athletically. Maybe Peezy will unlock the beast within lol. I did like Ogletree as well, and we were right in that thought because he looked really promising last season for STL.

Tuitt… I't is definitely going to be an interesting position to watch. I think Tuitt will be the starter week 1, just because I don't think Thomas is anything more than a swing/relief type player. He was benched in SD for a reason. Behind Thomas the only others that could challenge Tuitt would be possibly Nick Williams, Brian Arnfelt, or UDFA Josh Mauro out of Stanford. Just by looking at that depth on paper I would say Tuitt is the starter. But like Tomlin said: "They'll sort themselves out on the grass of Latrobe". Also there still could be a possibility of putting McCullers at NT & moving McLendon outside. Why wouldn't they weigh that possibility??? NT isn't on the field as much anymore so they just need to plug in a big coke machine to plug a hole a few plays out of every series. McCullers could do just that from sheer size alone.

I think Tuitt could be the day one starter as well...Nick Williams I've heard good things about but I understand he's not 100% yet healthwise...agree on Thomas being a rotation guy and I've never heard coach Mitch speak of Arnfelt so I've always viewed him as a rotation guy.

It would really be nice to see McCullers take over the NT role and free up McLendon to be a DE with a fe snaps @ NT...if McCuller makes it, Fang likely won't.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fangupo isn't likely to even make it past 1st wave of cuts… Unless he has rotation ability, I just don't see it happening. It's him vs. McCullers as of right now.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tuitt is as athletic as Heyward...if he's a quick study I feel better about the DL than I have in a while...I'd be shocked if Fanh makes it...if McCullers can be a presence in the middle and force a dbl team...this DEF will be much better. I sense a little more shift from the stock 3-4...and I would expect more 5-2 type front 7 with Timmons and Shazier on passing downs. I'm not sure if I see a dbl digit sack guy, but I can see Worilds with 8-9, Heyward with 7-8, Tuitt 3-4, McLendon 3-4, J. Jones 3-4..., Timmons, Shazier, e.tc...I hope they can figure the interior guy out early.

As we've said, Ben hasn't had this much talent around him for nearly a decade...imo if Haley wants to get another HC job he needs to deliver a playoff caliber OFC this year.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Haley has settled himself in for the long run. He has already stated numerous times that he isn't "jealous" of the crap that Tomlin has to deal with on a daily basis. Which tells me that he doesn't dig the HC job anymore. I could still see him fielding offers in the near future. Somebody will have to do some coaxing to get him out of the Steel City.

I agree with the defense. As long as Tuitt can pick it up quick, and the NT position is cemented then this will be a top 5 unit once again. The secondary has a lot to prove, but now that LeBeau doesn't need to drop Polamalu down to play coverage LB on 3rd downs I think it will help things immensely. I just hope they don't plan on keeping Taylor as the WR1 cover guy. He just doesn't have it anymore IMO. He played admirably against AJ Green last season, but I think those days are all but gone.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...we know the Rooney's are not knee-jerk type owners, so he may he this year, but I think he needs to have a good season to stay the OC long term actually...if he does well, his name will come up for another job.

Too much talent on this teams to be bottom 3rd in scoring points this season.

DEF...yes, a lot depends on his development, and some disruption type plays from the NT spot...enough to keep those OGs were cheating outside...if they have to worry about helping to protect the G/C gap the DEs get a slight edge on that outside shoulder....that's the kind of unnoticed benefit that Hampton gave that DL.

I'm more confident in the back 6 players this year collectively...assuming Mitchell gets up to speed with Lebeau's schemes and terminology, I think he's an upgrade over Clark...Shazier should limit Troy's exposure @ LB...S Thomas has a year under his belt, I expect him to get a similar sub pkg role to LY...I don't see Ike being on the #1 WR either...he might win the #2 job over Gay, but realistically those 3 will be on the field a lot regardless of the hierarchy but I think they will end up with Allen on the #1 WR.

It still goes back to the bigs up front....

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All great points ATL!

I just have a gut feeling that this defense is going to be top 10 this season, maybe even top 5. I want to see the intensity brought back to the field, and I hope Porter is the right coach for the job. But I think Heyward is going to dominate. Along with better LB production.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping Heyward rubs off on Tuitt...overall I feel better about the team this year than I did LY...just being honest with what we saw...Sapp has been right all along, PIT was old and slow on DEF...they've made a concerted effort to get younger and faster on DEF...they done it at each level.

Need some young players to step up early, but I like our chances to win the DIV.