• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Clemson Recruiting Thread

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 commitments on the 2014 list at this point.

1) Dalvin Cook - RB - Out of Miami. He has a 4* ranking at this time.

2) Jae'lon Oglesby - RB - Out of Central, SC. Also has a 4* rank.

3) Deshaun Watson - QB - Out of Gainesville, GA. 4*.

4) Taylor Hearn - OL - From Williston, SC. 6'5", 305 lbs.

5) Cannon Smith - TE - Columbia, SC. 6'5", 235 lbs.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dalvin Cook

RB
5'11"
190 lbs
4.5 - 40

Cook finished the 2012 season with 127 carries, 1,452 yards, and 21 rushing touchdowns, averaging 11.4 yards per carry. He also added nine receptions for 272 yards and two touchdowns, averaging 30.2 yards per reception. As a sophomore, he had 876 yards and 9 touchdowns. Cook’s brother, DeAndre Burnett, is signed to Miami’s 2013 basketball class.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jae'lon Oglesby

RB
5'11"
175 lbs
4.79 - 40

"Rising junior running back Jae'lon Oglesby (Central, S.C./D.W. Daniel) has become the fourth Class of 2014 commitment for Clemson, multiple sources report.

The 5-foot-11, 175-pound prospect rushed for 1,750 yards and 28 touchdowns as a sophomore. Before last season, he posted a 4.79 40-yard dash and 27.5-inch vertical on the combine circuit."

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deshaun Watson

QB
6'3"
186 lbs.
4.95 - 40

"One of the top dual-threat QBs in this class but this highly athletic signal caller is also a productive passer. Watson has a quick release and enough arm strength to spread the ball all over the field and place it accurately on deep balls. Watson has a "gamer's" attitude"

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Watson and Cook hold true in their commitments, we may out-do even this year's class except on the offensive side of the ball. Both are going to be highly sought after and it will be a chore trying to secure their commitments in the coming year as both are in the top eleven of Rivals list...

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we only have about ten scholarships being freed up after next season excluding any transfers or any other situations that might free up additional scholly's. That's going to be one small recruiting class.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another great article over at "Shakin' the Southland." If you guys don't know about this site, I highly recommend it for an honest assessment of Clemson athletics. It is a member of SB Nation.

Clemson Top Twelve Recruits for 2014 - Shakin The Southland

Top recruiting targets for 2014

1. QB DeShaun Watson (6'4 190, Gainesville, GA) DeShaun is the real deal and absolutely worth putting all of our QB eggs in his basket. He has the quick release, arm strength that will only continue to improve, athleticism and intangibles to be the future at the QB position for the Tigers. His skill set is made for this offense. He is one of the top three QB's in the nation (arguably the best), with offers from everyone in the nation. He is also connected to lots of the major talent in Georgia. Kitt, Glass, McMillan, Milan Richards, etc. National Championship caliber quarterback and might be the most talented QB to step foot on the Clemson campus as a commit.

2. DT Andrew Brown (6'4 285, Chesapeake, VA) Brown is arguably the top DT in the country. He is a rare blend of size and athleticism at the position. Slimmed down from his Sophomore to Junior year and has frame to add another 15 lbs of muscle. He is explosive getting off the ball and can either rush the passer or control the line against the run. Elite pass rushing ability. Plays with good leverage and pad level for a player with his size. He uses his hands very well and is disruptive, pushing lineman back. Smart kid as well who knows how to read tendencies this early in his playing career.

3. RB Dalvin Cook (5'11 195, Miami Central, FL) Cook is the closest thing I have seen to CJ Spiller. Last year I couldn't believe that Joseph Yearby, his teammate, was ranked higher than Cook. Cook has an amazing burst and is threat to score any time he touches the ball. This includes kickoffs and punt returns as well. But what makes him elite is that he is not just a speed guy--he is compact and can make yards after the catch as well. Also can catch the ball out of the backfield so not much not to like here. His high school coach just got a job as the RB coach for USF, however. Yearby recently flipped from FSU to Miami so this recruitment is a long way from being over and will go until the fax comes in. Clemson is being smart here though and keeping feelers out for other RB/ATH's in case Cook jumps ship. We are only taking 2 RB's again this coming year.

4. RB/ATH Elijah Hood (6'0 215, Charlotte NC) More elite talent from Charlotte!! He is a bruising runner who never goes down with the first contact. Amazing balance and a fun RB to watch play the game. He has good to great speed and lacks that elite top gear but he will absolutely run you over and does not shy away from contact. He could play RB or LB at the next level. At one point Clemson was recruiting him as a LB where he had slight preference to play but that has changed and he will be a RB at the next level. Was surprised to see Rivals rank him #12 overall. I have loved watching his highlights so I can see how analysts can just fall in love with him as a prospect. Notre Dame is said to have the big inside lead followed by UNC but Clemson has positioned itself well and will be in it down the stretch. I have Cook slightly ahead because of what he brings as an all-around back, Hood still needs to work on catching the ball out of the backfield, but really this is 3a and 3b.

5. WDE Andrew Williams (6'4 245, McDonough, GA) Clemson is very big on Williams and he is at the top of the board. Coach Hobby has done a nice job here building a long-term relationship. We have been in on Williams for a long time and we are near the top of his list although he will release an official top 5 at the end of this month. He is more of a high upside prospect at this point. Great frame and length with explosiveness and some quickness off the edge. Needs to add weight and maintain the same speed though. He is probably a bit too high on the list right now but we aren't well positioned for the more elite DE talents in this class yet. That could quickly change though.

6. LB Raekwon McMillan (6'3 235, Hinesville, GA) McMillan is an impressive physical specimen. He can play inside or potentially outside as well. He has a great burst so he can both fill the lane effectively and blitz/rush the QB. He is not afraid to make contact and run over opposing RB's. He is possibly the most physically college ready LB prospect in the country. Still needs to work on playing in space and change of direction. Everyone is after him but he has Clemson and Ohio State at the top. Ohio State once had a lead over us but we are both now sitting firmly at the top for him. Another of the prospects from GA that are friends with Kitt, Watson, etc.

7. WR Demarre Kitt (6'1 195, Tyrone/Sandy Creek, GA) Kitt has been a big name prospect for a long time now. He is a natural receiver and by that I mean that he catches the ball away from his body in a relaxed manner, has good body control and positioning, and is smart on the field. He knows how to get open against zones and use his body to shield defenders. He is more quick than fast (runs a 4.59 40 right now) but he reminds me of DeAndre Hopkins because he is deceptively quick on the field. He high points the ball and makes catches in traffic/over the middle. If he had a bit more breakaway speed he would be a top 10-15 player. He would fit in very well with Clemson's offense where he can productively play inside, whereas with other schools he might be stuck outside and not be as effective. He has a top 15 of all the big names but has said that Ohio State and Clemson stick out at the top right now.

8. CB Jalen Tabor (6'1 180, Friendship Academy, Washington DC) Tabor is a tall corner who has great ball skills. One of the elite corners this year and top 25-50 overall. He has great hands and for years has performed well against upper class receivers at 7-7's and camps around the country. What separates him is his size and speed at the position along with his instincts and break on the ball. It is a bit of a stretch to include him because we aren't firmly in contention but are listed in his top 8 along with schools like Alabama, Tennessee, Ohio State, LSU recently, Michigan, FSU and even Maryland where many of his teammates are going.

9. DT Dexter Wideman (6'4 280, Saluda SC) Wideman is aggressive and tough. He plays with a good motor and is quick off the ball. Has the height and frame to carry more good weight and maintain his ability to disrupt and make quick penetration. He loves his swim move but he also needs to learn to play with a bit of a better pad level because he can pop up too much at times. At times he looks more like a DE than a DT but he has the strength and frame to stay inside. Clemson and South Carolina are said to be on top. National 150 player.

10. WR Trevion Thompson (6'3 180, Hillside, Durham NC) Thompson is tall and lanky. He needs to add more muscle for the next level but he still plays physical. I'm actually conflicted with Thompson because at times I see a top 25 player who has great hands, leaping ability, separation, and route running. Makes good cuts out of breaks. Other times I see a top 150 type player who is good to great but not exactly elite. I will be interested in combines and senior year tape (or more junior tape) to see if he has straight line speed to play outside. Right now he may be more quick than fast and sometimes I question his burst. I absolutely think he is a great prospect, however, and he shows great potential. Clemson, Florida, and Ohio State stand out.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we have Watson and Kitt on board and just picked up 4* OLB Chris Register and LB Korie Rogers.

LB Korie Rogers Commits to Clemson - Shakin The Southland

Korie Rogers
OLB Korie Rogers (6'2, 218lbs, 4.68 40), the #2 OLB nationally according to Rivals, committed to Clemson over UGA tonight. Rogers is currently rated the #4 player in the state of Georgia and the #52 player in the nation. He had numerous offers, namely Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, and Nebraska, but this was a CU/UGA battle pretty much the whole time, mainly because of the distance factor.

Rogers was visiting Clemson today, with several other blue-chip prospects. I had been told previously that Rogers was ours and that UGA had fallen out of the picture, so this was expected, but not quite so soon.

"I'm a Clemson Tiger. It's the best fit for me. It's a small town like where I come from. They have a crazy football atmosphere. I love the coaches. They can not only help me become a better player but also a better person. When I leave this university I know I will be successful."

Chris Register

OLB Chris Register Commits to Clemson - Shakin The Southland

Chris Register (6'3" 230lbs, 4.6 40), from Dudley HS in Greensboro NC, took the 2nd LB spot in Clemson's class this afternoon. Register is rated the #22 OLB nationally and #14 player in NC. He had offers from Auburn, FSU, Miami, UNC, and Tennessee among others, but has been a Clemson lean for quite awhile.

Register is a big LB that can run and make plays. He's doing a pretty good job getting off blocks with his hands, which you don't see enough of, and wraps up well. I don't know that he's the greatest pass defender and was shown up some in camps in this area, which is the main reason why he dropped out of the Rivals250.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like we have a good shot at picking up Yeargin, and Kamara has left Bama and we are at the top of the list with him.