• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 St. Louis Cardinals thread

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need to come to terms with the fact that we're a small ball team and we need to practice bunting

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Puig really needs to be in front of Adrian Gonzalez. Its almost comedic to see someone that fast run behind someone that slow for 2 games in a row.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey all, lifelong Cardinal fan, who just signed up here a while ago.

The thing I take away from the trade dead line is that STL did NOT trade Matt Adams for a rent-a-player. If given 550 AB's, he could be a special player. Not really sure when that will happen with their glut of outfielders and Craig at 1B.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The great thing about Matt Adams is that when he hits a home run, you know it. The Home Runs he hits are home runs in even the biggest ballparks

birdsonthebat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that was quite a shot.

Great performance by Kelly followed by another one(hopefully) from another young gun tonight.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The injury to Miller doesn't sound serious but dropping another game while the Pirates beat the Marlins isn't the best thing ever.

We have 5 more games against the Pirates this month. We might need to go 4-1 against them

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Star Wars night at the yard + Gangnam style = EPIC FAIL

birdsonthebat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even without Star Wars it's going to be real good to leave LA. Tough series for the Redbirds.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we're in the middle of another losing streak. Whatever doesn't kill you has to make you stronger as long as we still make the playoffs

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Mike Shannon, the former St. Louis Cardinals third baseman who has been a popular radio broadcaster for the team for more than 40 years, is recovering after heart surgery.
The Cardinals said Wednesday that Shannon, 74, is resting comfortably and is expected to make a full recovery. He had surgery Monday to replace his aorta valve. The team said the surgery had been planned for some time.

Shannon, in a statement through the team, thanked well-wishers and said he expects to return to the broadcast booth before the end of the regular season. A rotation of replacements - former Cardinals pitchers Al Hrabowsky and Rick Horton, and broadcaster Mike Claiborne - will join John Rooney in the radio booth through Sept. 23. Shannon is expected back after that, the team said.
''I'm looking forward to getting back in the booth and back to the game I love,'' he said.

Shannon, a St. Louis native, played on three World Series teams during a nine-year career from 1962 to 1970, all with the Cardinals. He hit .255 with 68 homers for his career, which was cut short by kidney disease.
With Shannon as a starter, the Cardinals won the World Series over the Yankees in 1964 and over the Red Sox in 1967. They lost in seven games to Detroit in 1968.
He joined the radio broadcast starting in 1972, paired for many years with Hall of Fame broadcaster Jack Buck, who died in 2002.

Shannon is a popular figure in St. Louis, known for his colorful stories, good-natured humor, and his ''Get up, baby! Get up! Get up!'' call when Cardinals hitters hit long drives.
Shannon has skipped occasional road trips in recent years.
Shannon was inducted into the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame in 1999, both for his on-the-field and on-air accomplishments.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something I've been wondering and meaning to bring up. Does anyone else think Rosenthals recent struggles have anything to do with a loss of velocity and pitching for an entire season? Last year and the beginning of this year his fastball hovered around 98-99 and got up to 100. Now, it seems he is right around 96-97 occasionally hitting 99. Am I imagining this, or has Rosenthal lost velocity, and therefore some effectiveness, over the course of this season?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cardinals have been playing much better as of late. A little worried about Lance Lynn but the bats are back

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
uncfan, it could have to do with decreasing velocity for movement.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cardinals have been playing much better as of late. A little worried about Lance Lynn but the bats are back

The bats seemed to come back when Yadi returned. Hopefully we stay hot, and clutch, through the playoffs

Arch City

Exce11ence in Baseball
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't get a chance to watch last night's game, but the updates on my phone told me all I needed to know. Apparently Lance Lynn put some guys on base and folded like a cheap lawn chair once again. Yikes! Just when the Cardinals appeared to be on a roll after the Atlanta and Cincinnati series...

I honestly can't remember the last time I saw any team that was so good yet so frustrating all at once.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is something I found interesting when looking at statistics for this year.

Allen Craig - A defensive WAR of -1.5 (only two first basemen who are lower). Leads qualified 1B in fielding percentage
Matt Carpenter - 13th in Fielding Percentage, 28th in dWAR (.5)
Pete Kozma - 16th in dWAR (1.1)
David Freese - 13th in Fielding Percentage, a dWAR of -1.2 (only 2 qualified 3rd basemen are lower)
Matt Holliday - 4th in Fielding Percentage. Only Adam Dunn has a worse dWAR (207th out of 208 if unqualified players are included). (-2.3)
John Jay - 2nd in Fielding Percentage, only two qualified CFs are lower than him in dWAR (-1.2)
Carlos Beltran - Near the bottom in both Fielding Percentage and dWAR (-1.4)
Yadier Molina - 4th in Fielding Percentage and dWAR (1.9). I was surprised by this, Russell Martin is the only catcher I thought might have a higher WAR.

I found this to be interesting. I'm not trying to make a point, or illustrate anything in particular, it's just something that surprised me.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember complaining about our defense after the first couple of games. Its gotten a little better but its still a weakness. Generally, though, any postseason run will need the great RISP hitting and great pitching. Our starting pitching needs to come back.

LTR1961

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball playoff time in The Lou. Nothing like it anywhere. Win or lose I enjoy each and every one because you never know when this run will come to an end. We've been spoiled over the last 10+ years and many of our fans are too young to remember the dismal 70's. The Cards aren't always going to go to the playoffs damn near every year so enjoy it while we can.

Arch City

Exce11ence in Baseball
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ You're absolutely right. The haters will say Cardinals fans are spoiled and feel entitled...but not the ones I know...and not me. I realize the last 20 years or so have been really special. So I savor these October postseason moments, because even on a team that is defined by many periods of success, this is a really special time and place in Cardinals baseball history.

What an unbelievable performance by Michael Wacha today. The kid's delivered 15 2/3 innings of no-hit baseball in two outings; it doesn't get any better than that.

It was also very timely for Holliday to stroke that ball over the left centerfield wall. I was afraid he was going to be a no-show in the playoffs after a hot September, but he really came through today.

Game 5 is going to be tough, even with 40K+ fans at Busch cheering on the Cardinals and Wainwright taking the mound. The Pirates are not going to go away quietly. And if we get past them, we'd better have an answer for Los Angeles, as the Dodgers just knocked Atlanta out of the postseason. No one said it was going to be easy, but looking at one game at a time, I still like our chances a lot in Game 5.