• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Spring Game

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be working. Is anyone going to make it?

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not in Madison anymore, unfortunately. If I get enough work done before, hopefully i'll have time to watch it on the B1G. There's a lot of intrigue, especially at OL, QB, #2 WR, and the Secondary.

And that's not even considering the Gary Andersen problem.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, watching this now, the five guys who I thought looked really good:

- Joel Stave: All I can say is that he has it...a huge arm, confident in the pocket, great vision, and seems to be a great leader. I think he is going to be our starter for the next three years.

- Kenzel Doe: He was getting open left and right, making people miss, and blocking surprisingly well. I think he would be the #2 receiver if the season started tomorrow.

- Melvin Gordon: Not a great RB at running through the middle of O-Line, but get him outside and nobody is better in college football.

- Vince Biegel: With the team likely playing a lot of 3-4, he looked like the linebacker who was most capable of blitzing.

- Sojourn Shelton: We knew he was a great athlete, but he is also an outstanding ball hawk. I can't believe i'm going to say this, but I really expect him to start as a true Freshman next year.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stave did a lot of things last year that I really liked, and I'm not sure why Alvarez didn't play him more in the Rose. He knows how to move in the pocket. He looks off safeties. He gives nothing away. Instinctively uses pump fakes and hard counts. Big arm and nice touch. But he seriously needs to beef up or find a better flak jacket...

Doe, if he improves at all Abby will take advantage of it, and then Doe will take advantage of Abby drawing the safety up top.

Gordon is going to have to learn to run between the tackles. But how are his hands? Sticky hands could make him kind of like a bigger Percy Harvin.

Biegel was going up against 3rd string though wasn't he? Not that I'm surprised by your assessment. They've said from day one that he's going to be a beast.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see you're "inactive," but what did you mean by the Gary Andersen problem? The 3-4 D? That makes me skeptical as well.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see you're "inactive," but what did you mean by the Gary Andersen problem? The 3-4 D? That makes me skeptical as well.

Yep, the 3-4 defense. I think a lot of our players, specifically at linebacker, aren't well-equipped to play in his system. Even guys like Ethan Armstrong and Brendan Kelly, who have both proven to capable players in the 4-3, just don't seem to be natural fits anywhere. And that's not even considering that at least two of the linebacker slots are going to either have to go to unproven players or converted defensive ends.

I was worried about our defense going into the spring game, and my concerns weren't eased. The secondary actually looked better than I thought they would, but the RBs and slot receivers seemed to be having a field day finding holes in 6-8 yards down the field.