• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Signees

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea now we're headed the direction I thought this was going. I read about that too. I believe that's the reason he isn't at South Carolina now, right? Weed. From what I've seen, he's well spoken and put his work in at JuCo. I hope he does well in Madison and keeps his nose clean. I guess it's wait and see.

I didn't know you guys picked up Tanner. He got busted up in NC for underage drinking - it was basically nothing. He was NJ player of the year a couple seasons back. Big kid with a good arm, struggled some with accuracy in practice, but has nice potential. I don't think the arrest had as much to do with the transfer as his position on the depth chart.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much better? How does this make sense? Unless you're a major SEC product, or Ohio State, and not only do you consistently get top 10 recruits nationwide AND over-sign to make sure you bring in enough guys to replace the weed-outs who aren't as good as you thought...can you really say that your recruiting class is much better or much worse than anyone, especially when you're not even top 10?

How are we going to define successful recruiting? Our players in the last several years are better than yours. They proved it on the field, and they're proving it in the NFL. They recruited to the right system for their skill sets. They were recruited for how they interacted with the coaches, and the strict academic standards(relative to the rest of major college football) set down by UW. For the most part they have great locker room chemistry. They know how to win. They know how to get better. They know how to want it. They went out spanked your boys twice, and when I say spanked you remember what I mean.

Am I missing something else here? Because I feel like we're just plain doing it better than you. Period.

Here's an example. JJ Watt. Guy was like a 2 star athlete when he signed with Western Michigan or whichever directional dump he went to. The guy clearly was better than that, and I'm not talking about his work ethic. Physically he's the freak of all freaks. Hell, Montee Ball was a 4 star and even he doesn't quite fill JJ's shoes in terms of pure physical talent for his position.

To be fair I kind of did point these things out

That's all talent is though... Talent. Wiscy has shown that they have the ability to develop players much better than Nebraska. Nebraska has shown the ability to recruit much better than wisconsin. Scary to think what wiscy could do with big time talent. Scary to think what nebraska could do with big time coaches.

So far though it has been established that Player development>>>Player talent

It sounds like Andersen is fully on board with Alvarez's philosophy of finding guys who are the right fit. I have little reason to doubt he'll get those 3 star guys coached up to play like 4 and 5 star guys. Remains to be seen.

And when I say "much better" I mean exactly what it sounds like.

Wiscy nabbed a total of two 4 star guys where Nebraska nabbed 9. They also have a top 100 player. Wiscy doesn't. I'm not saying it's some guarantee that they will be better players 3 years from now, but as of right now, Nebraska just brought in a much better crop of raw talent than Wiscy did. It's up to the coaches now, and to once again point out the obvious, I concede that Wiscy has done a better job developing their players.

Last edited by a moderator:

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know you guys picked up Tanner. He got busted up in NC for underage drinking - it was basically nothing. He was NJ player of the year a couple seasons back. Big kid with a good arm, struggled some with accuracy in practice, but has nice potential. I don't think the arrest had as much to do with the transfer as his position on the depth chart.

Apparently he's a dual threat. There's already some rumblings in the national media that he's going to win the starting job. Stave and Phillips will make him work for it. So now that we're done stealing QBs from the Carolinas.... :dhd:

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair I kind of did point these things out

And when I say "much better" I mean exactly what it sounds like.

Wiscy nabbed a total of two 4 star guys where Nebraska nabbed 9. They also have a top 100 player. Wiscy doesn't.

You're not grabbing hold of the whole concept that being a 4 star recruit doesn't mean much. Do you guys over sign like most of the rest of the top 10? Are you going to just be able to weed out the busts and bring in more top 100s?

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's all talent is though... Talent. Wiscy has shown that they have the ability to develop players much better than Nebraska. Nebraska has shown the ability to recruit much better than wisconsin. Scary to think what wiscy could do with big time talent. Scary to think what nebraska could do with big time coaches.

So far though it has been established that Player development>>>Player talent

You're not grabbing hold of the whole concept that being a 4 star recruit doesn't mean much. Do you guys over sign like most of the rest of the top 10? Are you going to just be able to weed out the busts and bring in more top 100s?

I can give you specific examples of us doing that very thing.

Braylon Heard - Yahoo! Sports

^^^Transferring in the spring

Terrell Newby - Yahoo! Sports

^^^Arriving in the fall

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh well....why don't we just name you guys champs today! Seriously. Have you seen the oversigning cup? Do you know where you guys are on the list?

Sorry, but you're swimming the rest of us integrity fish.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh well....why don't we just name you guys champs today! Seriously. Have you seen the oversigning cup? Do you know where you guys are on the list?

Sorry, but you're swimming the rest of us integrity fish.

Hey I pointed out several times that talent is meaningless without development. Nowhere in here have I pretended that it means anything more than that the higher touted kids with a lot more options prefer Nebraska.

I have also pointed out that I realize Wisconsin is the better developers of talent. Much better, which is why it's kind of mind blowing that you guys can't haul in more elite athletes.

The point is, Wiscy is never gonna win national titles with these kinds of classes. Sure, they can win CCG's and BCS games, but they are never gonna win a national title recruiting like that.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yes, there is something that needs to be done about oversigning.

When Bama signs a hundred running backs in a 3 year span knowing full well that the majority of them will have squandered their eligibility only to have to transfer to a mid major or an FCS school... Something's gotta change.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. STARS are meaningless until you know what the real potential is. Every one of these guys are still growing. You don't KNOW if your 4 star is really better than our 3 star. Like I said, fun to talk about, stupid to compete over if you're serious about it.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't honestly pretend it's meaningless. If it is meaningless like you say, then why does Iowa suck so bad? Why can't TCU win national titles?

The reality of it is, the better schools get the better athletes.

Alabama has had the number 1 recruiting class in the nation 4 out of the last 5 years. They've won a national title 3 out of the last 4. There is a very real direct correlation.

I can give you real, solid statistics to back it up:

My breakdown is @3:50 1620 The Zone Podcasts - Play Now

In text form in this thread vvvv

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/...elite-recruiting-classes-=-natty-platter.html

Essentially, Wisconsin has virtually no chance of ever winning a national title if they continue to recruit as poorly as they have.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lowest 5 year class avg to win a national title since Rivals began ranking classes is Auburn at 12th.

Wisconsin's 5 year class avg from 2009-2013 is 56th.

To give you comparison, Alabama's avg from 2009-2013 is 1.6.

It's safe to say that the odds are hugely stacked against you.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what? I'm done. I've already explained enough that you could connect the dots if you wanted to. You think you know what you're talking about, and that's fine with me. I won't ban you or anything, but please knock it off so I can wait around 7 months for my Badgers to come by and talk football.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. This is progress ForkEm.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L sorry I seemed to derail your thread forky.. I just wanted to have a casual recruiting chat..

Win some, lose some.. it's how the game goes

(forgot to stop in here after my previous last post)

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You didn't derail it. We just had a communication breakdown. I like talking a little recruiting trash, I just don't take it very seriously in the context of whose program is better. The more I thought about it, the less I cared if you do. We can still talk about it. I'm just a little twitchy from the last couple of years.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way. Is it me or does Natter have TE written all over him? 4.7 40, long arms and tall....

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was asked in a recruiting wrap up interview about a possible move to TE. Said the coaches haven't brought it up, but he'd be willing to give it a go.

We need DL's pretty badly though, so I bet he stays there for at least the short term

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see Alec James ending up at OLB. I think playing DE is partly why he was only a 3 star, but half the country was after him. Alabama and Arkansas visited but never offered. Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Clemson and Michigan State all offered. If that happens, the Badgers are in the same boat with Obasi, who also kind of has that OLB potential.