• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 MN Twins

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the inevitable has finally happened. It's been a long time coming and finally Mauer is our new 1B. I figured that since they let Morny walk that would leave it wide open to make the shift. I like Mauer as a catcher but it caused him to get hurt too often and his bat is a bat that is missed when gone. I'd of course love to see him continue catching but he just doesn't seem to be able to stay away from the DL when that is his job. I look forward to him being less concussed all the time this coming season.

:suds:

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah thanks, I was wrong, Gardy has lead them to so many post season series wins in his 12 seasons I would have to be a fool to think it was time for a change. :L

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah thanks, I was wrong, Gardy has lead them to so many post season series wins in his 12 seasons I would have to be a fool to think it was time for a change. :L

I'd like to see any coach take the players he has been provided by the FO and win a WS.

If they do give Gardy the axe, I can guarantee he will have another job lined up in no time.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who cares if he has another job lined up, three 95+ loss seasons in a row, who else survives that?

And as far as who else would take them to a World Series with the teams he's had, again who cares, it's obviously not him, he had good teams in the past and got pounded come playoff time. I'm all for being loyal but there comes a time when it's time to move on and three seasons of 95+ loses should have been the time.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who cares and who cares huh? Ok then. :noidea:

He has won NOTHING in 12 seasons, he has three 95+ loss seasons in a row yet you think i'm ignorant for not wanting him to manage my favorite team. :noidea:

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gardy is a so so manager and has had very little talent, minus a player here or there, to work with. The FO failed him and he failed the team. 3 95+ loss seasons in a row is unforgivable after they built Target Field to help stay competitive.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very little talent?

He had the MVP, batting champ, Cy young, best closer and Cuddyer/Hunter in two of their best seasons.......and Gardy got swept by the A's.

Very little talent my ass. He never gets it done when it matter.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, free agent targets by the Twins would be???

I'm thinking SP Jeff Karstens, a soft tossing 31 year old starter who fits our system perfectly.

I'm thinking INF Cesar Izturis, a switch hitting middle infielder who can't hit from either side. I wonder if they will let him wear #3.

FIN

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it seems the Twins have some interest in Gavin Floyd and Chris Capuano, I wouldn't mind Floyd so much even coming back from Tommy John, he has the ability to make batters miss from time to time. Capuano is someone I wish they would have gone after two years ago, I guess it could be worse but my gut says he gets killed in the AL.

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very little talent?

He had the MVP, batting champ, Cy young, best closer and Cuddyer/Hunter in two of their best seasons.......and Gardy got swept by the A's.

Very little talent my ass. He never gets it done when it matter.

Too bad all these were peaking at different times.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morneau MVP 2006 2nd in MVP race 2008
Mauer Batting titles in 2006, 2008 and 2009 MVP in 2009
Santana CY award in 2004 and 2006 top 5 for CY award in 2005 and 2007
Cuddyer's best years were 2006 and 2009
Hunter was pretty consistant between 2001 and 2007

All 5 of those guys were pretty good in 2006, the year we were swept by the A's. You should do a little fact checking next time...

buckamania

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Managers get too much credit and too much blame. In the end all of the above Twins guys failed in either their turns at bat or on the mound, whereas, the guys in the dugout across the field got it done. Best clutch-hitting catcher in recent memory?? Jorge Posada, hands down. He always got the big hit. Mauer could not do this when he was on the thresh hold of fame. Same with Morny, et al.

If it's all Gardy's fault there should be a lynching-party for Bud Grant. Think this through a bit before any of you anti-Gardy guys explode. Bud had the "Purple People Eaters", Fran Tarkenton, et al, et al, and the Vikings got their butts kicked 4-times in the SBowl. Why?? Because the other teams simply had the better players. It wasn't Bud's fault and it wasn't Gardy, and Casey Stengle didn't "win" any World Series Games: Mickey Mantle and Whitey Ford did, but not Casey. Losers blame....winners win.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Managers get too much credit and too much blame. In the end all of the above Twins guys failed in either their turns at bat or on the mound, whereas, the guys in the dugout across the field got it done. Best clutch-hitting catcher in recent memory?? Jorge Posada, hands down. He always got the big hit. Mauer could not do this when he was on the thresh hold of fame. Same with Morny, et al.

If it's all Gardy's fault there should be a lynching-party for Bud Grant. Think this through a bit before any of you anti-Gardy guys explode. Bud had the "Purple People Eaters", Fran Tarkenton, et al, et al, and the Vikings got their butts kicked 4-times in the SBowl. Why?? Because the other teams simply had the better players. It wasn't Bud's fault and it wasn't Gardy, and Casey Stengle didn't "win" any World Series Games: Mickey Mantle and Whitey Ford did, but not Casey. Losers blame....winners win.

Managers get too much credit and too much blame. That I do agree with.

Huge difference, Gardy got to manage a decent team for 9 years then sucked for 3, who else survives that? Bud aside from his first year as head coach never went worse than 7 - 9. So the Vikings weren't eliminated mid season like the Twins have been three straight years. Bud Grant also won a game that mattered a couple times. Gardy's teams have been embarrassed in the playoffs.

Comparing Gardy to Bud was the first mistake, a better comparison would have been Gardy to Denny Green.

buckamania

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Managers get too much credit and too much blame. That I do agree with.

Huge difference, Gardy got to manage a decent team for 9 years then sucked for 3, who else survives that? Bud aside from his first year as head coach never went worse than 7 - 9. So the Vikings weren't eliminated mid season like the Twins have been three straight years. Bud Grant also won a game that mattered a couple times. Gardy's teams have been embarrassed in the playoffs.

Comparing Gardy to Bud was the first mistake, a better comparison would have been Gardy to Denny Green.

That was a great post, tu! I absolutely despise Denny Green! I blame him for the sordid condition of the Vikes all these years later. Denny rid us of Brad Johnson and Rich Gannon for Daunte Culpepper, AND Denny brought in Randy Moss, the football anti-christ. Unlike Denny, Gardy has absolutely no power to acquire personnel. If you don't agree with that then we simply must agree to disagree.

Too much to get into now, plus, I've fought that battle so many times in the past. I've also fought the Gardy battle enough elsewhere. I'm actually here to get away from people who blame Gardy because the M&M boys are not clutch players. Good players, to be sure, but absolutely not clutch. Bucky Dent (no relation) came through, Bill Mazeroski did it, but not the M&M'ers. Gardy never had an at bat in those games, I wish he would have, he'd probably got a hit. Jussss joking!

Take a look at the players acquired by the Twins the last few years, most notably, Nishi. That's all on the GM'S, Bill Smith and Terry Ryan. Gardy had no say in choosing the team he must manage, never has, AND Terry Ryan even apologized to Gardy this Fall for the team Ryan has put together, I saw the new conference. That says it all. Those Twins playoff teams were simply not that good, "Paper Tigers", if you will.

If you want to blame Gardy have I got a sports web-site for you! One pre-req: you have to be willing to insult MLB players & Gardy as if you were a 14-yr. old yelling out of a car window at older guys with girls. Somehow I don't see as being like that.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Vikes had a decent coach back in the late 90's early 00's they would have 1 or 2 Championships IMO. Denny sucked period!

While I will agree the main players didn't always show up when needed but why have a manager if it's all simply on the players, is it not the managers job to get the most out of his players? Not sure i'd use the term "paper tigers". Those mid 2000 teams were pretty good they just looked lost in the playoffs, they were simply scared of the Yankees, it falls on the manager to make sure things like that dont get into the heads of his players, not sure how Gardy doesn't get any blame for that.

I actually do believe Terry Ryan asks Gardy's opinion on signings and or trades. Not to say he uses that opinion but I do remember hearing/reading it was Gardy who wanted to keep Matt LeCroy over David Ortiz.

I don't hate Gardy I just think it's time for a change, what has he ever really done to deserve such loyalty from us fans? There comes a time when players stop listing to and believing in their coach if they are always losing.

Last edited by a moderator:

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morneau MVP 2006 2nd in MVP race 2008
Mauer Batting titles in 2006, 2008 and 2009 MVP in 2009
Santana CY award in 2004 and 2006 top 5 for CY award in 2005 and 2007
Cuddyer's best years were 2006 and 2009
Hunter was pretty consistant between 2001 and 2007

All 5 of those guys were pretty good in 2006, the year we were swept by the A's. You should do a little fact checking next time...

Thank you for proving my point. :clap: