• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013-14 Syracuse Basketball Discussion

elijah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,097.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next-to-no discussion on this 'Cuse board.

Where are all the fans? Get it active in here!

elijah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,097.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for basketball, I'm real surprised with Cooney so far. The inconsistency and how he disappointed last year, I'm real glad that he's finally showing up now. He's 3s and his newfound ability to drive are going to do a ton for this team down the stretch.

As Boeheim said, I was afraid about scoring at first. But the way Cooney, Fair, Grant and even Ennis are playing, all of them could have an outburst for 25+ points and pick up the whole team at any time. Our only issue is when all 4 decide not to show, then we just need to hope for the best and that the zone is doing what the zone does.

Overall, I have high hopes for this team

Bone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about JG? CJ, Christmas and Grant down low is an awesome line.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We knew CJ was going to be his consistent usual self. But to have Ennis come in a run the point....a true freshman....that's special.

Cooney found his stroke in Hawaii...says he likes the small gyms. That will work out well for away games in the ACC.

And then there is Grant. I was pumped watching him in March Madness....but he's turned out even better than I had hoped.

SU really showed up in Maui.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bone and Elijah....the Cuse put up a whoopin on IU in the second half. These guys are playing some really good d.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys up front looking as good as expected. I'll admit I was more than a little concerned about the back court coming into this season. I have been incredibly impressed with Ennis and Cooney so far. Enjoying watching a more "traditional" type of PG like Ennis after the Carter Williams/Jardine types that make you want to pull your hair out half the time after stupid plays and then they make a great play that makes you feel like you are on a roller coaster. Still not sure how it will work out defensively, but so far so good. Cooney seemed to gain some confidence later last year that has continued to this season.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is really something...as far as I am concerned. If the players are all business like the below suggest, SU is for sure on the right path.

UNC forward J.P. Tokoto said that out of pride he didn’t want to agree that Syracuse was the No. 1 team in the ACC, but “playing against us the way they did today, yes, they definitely are.”

Yet it seems it’s a hard time convincing the Orange of that. There were no signs in the locker room that winning registered as anything special. No loud music blaring. No players playing jokes on one another. There really weren’t even a lot of smiles or laughter.

“They don’t get that high, they’re not celebrating a lot -- they haven’t celebrated yet,” Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. “I don’t think they even celebrated [the Maui Invitational] that much and that was a good tournament win. They’ve been good, they come to work every day.”

Look out bball nation....with an attitude like that, you rarely see letdowns.

Link: Early wins have Syracuse Orange putting stamp on first ACC season - ESPN

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
25 - 0...man that's tuff. Super tuff.

People are questioning the number one team in the land. Even though they've lost Coleman for the season. And now Keita with the bum knee. Playing a 6 man rotation is going to make for some messed up games.

The difference between cuse and all others this year is SU keeps gutting out the Ws.

One game at a time brothers and sisters. One game at a time.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

By Donna Ditota | [email protected]The Post-Standard
Follow on Twitter

Syracuse, NY -- The ACC holds a weekly conference call each Monday to allow reporters to ask questions of league coaches in 10-minute increments.

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim, slotted into the 12:10 p.m. spot, had some interesting things to say about his 25-0 squad. The No. 1 Orange did not practice Sunday but return to the Melo Center today to continue work for the 2013-14 season.

Here's an edited transcript of Boeheim's remarks:

Q: You're undefeated and No. 1 in the nation, but you've played a succession of really dramatic close games. Should we give you more respect for finding ways to win or maybe think you're vulnerable?

JB: I think both. That's an easy answer. First of all, I think everybody's vulnerable. (He cited the spate of "puzzling games" that include Michigan State's home loss to Nebraska and Creighton's crushing of Villanova.) I know that you can lose against anybody you play. We've been in those situations and we've been able to win those games. You know, it's one thing being in close games. It's another thing being in the type of jeopardy we've gotten ourselves into in a couple of games.

The last game was the first game we made a couple bad plays down the stretch. If we'd have done that in some other games, we'd have lost.

I think this team deserves a lot of credit for making those plays, but I'm sure that you would have to think that this team is vulnerable, like pretty much everybody else is.

Q: You've lost (Dajuan) Coleman and (Baye Moussa) Keita and it's really hurt your depth. Can you talk about that?

JB: Well, we played three games in seven days. And I don't know, but it seemed as if our legs were off. I think whether we have another guy or not, it's not going to affect how much C.J. Fair plays. He'll play the whole game. And I think kids can play the whole game. I think the third game might be a little difficult. But I think they can do that because of the TV time outs. There's so much opportunity to sit out.

We survived these three games without Keita ... it's probably been a big benefit for us because (Rakeem) Christmas realizes that he can play longer and in playing longer he's realizing he can play better. So I think it's been a big blessing in disguise. And we've avoided having both him and Jerami (Grant) get in foul trouble. If either or both of them get in foul trouble, it causes big problems for us.

It's given Michael Gbinije an opportunity to play a little bit more, which I think has been good for him. I think you can play six guys in basketball. I know you can play seven; we won a national championship playing seven.

I think we might be getting Keita back. We think we will pretty soon. But I think it's been (good) for Christmas because I think he realized if he can avoid a couple little fouls, he can be in the game longer and he can be more productive. He won the game the other night. He was the key factor and that's the first time that he's been the key factor in a game since he's been here.