• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 Virginia Tech Commitment List

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I assume the coaches didn't know until today that Harris wasn't signing a LOI? Otherwise, I would have been throwing out some last minute offers.

They still need to keep an open scholly for him if they believe he will enroll in may

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't understand why he wouldn't sign an LOI if there is a possibility of enrolling.

JDVT5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what's the story with Drew Harris? Is he at a JUCO? Is it still possible for him to come to VT? I love all the talk about Trey Edmunds but I would be so happy if we could still get Harris.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what's the story with Drew Harris? Is he at a JUCO? Is it still possible for him to come to VT? I love all the talk about Trey Edmunds but I would be so happy if we could still get Harris.

seems like theres a shot but its dependent upon an appeal.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think he's at a JUCO now, but he might have to go that route in the end. It's still possible that he can come to VT in the fall, but it doesn't seem to be looking great.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he's at a JUCO now, but he might have to go that route in the end. It's still possible that he can come to VT in the fall, but it doesn't seem to be looking great.

Isnt he enrolling in May?

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we all hope so, but that's not settled. He has to work through things with the NCAA clearinghouse.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's at a JUCO in New York and is petitioning the NCAA to overturn some things that his high school screwed up. If the appeal goes through he will be here in the summer, if not he will continue at the JUCO until his academic situation is settled.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one of our 2014 offers is to a JUCO guy (OT Chad Mavety)

Whatsupppppppp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought we didn't accept JUCO transfers ...

How is a JUCO any different than sending a kid to FUMA? Some schools use prep schools, some use CC's, some use JUCO's.

Same thing IMO.

I have zero problem taking a game ready JUCO, with three full years left. Actually, lots of benefit in doing so.

rockhead44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am generalizing here. Not everyone falls into this category but generally guys who wind up at a JuCo can't pull up their GPA and/or test scores in a single year (some guys don't even need the full year of prep school). To find a JoCo guy with 3 years left, he would have had to redshirt one of his 2 years there and graduated from JuCo. So those are not common unless that's a plan ahead of time. Lots of schools view these guys as huge academic risks.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^Added to that...most JUCO transfers have 1-2 years of elegibility lefts and will have a very short time to learn the in's and out's of VT football. It's just not usually how VT likes to do things. RB's though are one of the exceptions I wouldn't mind them making. RB is usually one of the easiest positions to jump right in and start playing. Especially if you are big enough...in which Drew will be.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be OK with VT taking a JUCO here and there. Some kids are just not recruited/have grades to get up, are late bloomers and can contribute immediately. That would be rare though.

Snyder and Kstate has had alot of success with CC and JUCO kids, but they have made the best of it since they are not anywhere close to fertile recruiting territory and the ones that do come out of Kansas often times go to Big 10 and other Big 12 schools.

rockhead44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be OK with VT taking a JUCO here and there. Some kids are just not recruited/have grades to get up, are late bloomers and can contribute immediately. That would be rare though.

Snyder and Kstate has had alot of success with CC and JUCO kids, but they have made the best of it since they are not anywhere close to fertile recruiting territory and the ones that do come out of Kansas often times go to Big 10 and other Big 12 schools.

Good points. Jeremy Shockey is one of the most famous examples of a guy that just didn't have offers.

Whatsupppppppp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, K State gets lots of JUCOs.

Actually, the teams that get the most JUCOs are some of the very best.

Bama, Georgia, Ariz St, Miss, Utah, Tenn, Huskers, Auburn

The kid Ole Miss got this year from JUCO, Hooks, was a five star, who enrolled after playing one season of JUCO ball, and enrolled in January with three years eligibililty left, and four years to do it. He is game ready, already played a year at a high JUCO level, and will likely be NFL bound, so he might not even need a red shirt. So, three years of scholly, three years of play.

Thats a good numbers helper.

SEC schools do this routinely, especially in positions of need. If you have a lineman leave early, and another get injured, you might find yourself with a big hole. Thats the kind of JUCO I think could be valuable.

If you need to acclimate a player for a year, then JUCO gets less attractive.

Unless its Cam Newton.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^You can also take a look at how easy it is to get accepted into those schools though. I had an extreme pot head friend of mine that was probably middle of the pack in his class of 100 get accepted into Alabama. He did fail out with like a .9 gpa after his second semester though :lol: