• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2 interesting tidbits from the radio

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Passan was on and he made a couple of interesting points:

1. Barry Bonds - do any of you remember his last year? We were all sick of him and so on...but his final year OPS was over 1.000. And he still didn't get a contract from anyone. Presumably he had stopped with the roids by then, but clearly MLB wanted no part of him. If they can avoid signing a guy like that why do wife beaters like Osuna and Familia get jobs?

2 D Rod: great story, probably behind Acuna and Soto for ROY. But we need to be careful on our expectations, he has only pitched 80 innings. Let's see what happens when the league adjusts. He doesn't have dominant hall of fame stuff so he will need to work to keep this up. Still exciting but we will see.

Just putting those out there.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Make it 3, forgot one LOL

3. The NL kind of sucks this year, the best record is the Cubs who are on a 93 win pace. You may be able to squeak in to the playoffs will like 87 wins. So the Giants don't need to go nuts to get to that they can go 26-15. Is it gonna happen? Very little chance. But still worth rooting for in mid August, far stranger things have happened.

Remember 2010, we were way farther back of the Padres in mid August.

Just sayin'

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Jr. Is the next Professor.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Passan was on and he made a couple of interesting points:

1. Barry Bonds - do any of you remember his last year? We were all sick of him and so on...but his final year OPS was over 1.000. And he still didn't get a contract from anyone. Presumably he had stopped with the roids by then, but clearly MLB wanted no part of him. If they can avoid signing a guy like that why do wife beaters like Osuna and Familia get jobs?

2 D Rod: great story, probably behind Acuna and Soto for ROY. But we need to be careful on our expectations, he has only pitched 80 innings. Let's see what happens when the league adjusts. He doesn't have dominant hall of fame stuff so he will need to work to keep this up. Still exciting but we will see.

Just putting those out there.

Ummmmm

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Make it 3, forgot one LOL

3. The NL kind of sucks this year, the best record is the Cubs who are on a 93 win pace. You may be able to squeak in to the playoffs will like 87 wins. So the Giants don't need to go nuts to get to that they can go 26-15. Is it gonna happen? Very little chance. But still worth rooting for in mid August, far stranger things have happened.

Remember 2010, we were way farther back of the Padres in mid August.

Just sayin'
For all my squabbling about some of the moves the team has made and all the frustrating parts and players this season, it is fun that the team is still in contention. However, we may feel differently (again) about the team a week from now. It is quite the see-saw season.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, many of us were tired of the circus. Maybe not you.

So that's all I get for discussion?

I mean I realize it was probably time to move on but I was really hoping he'd still be able to play. And I feel like how can you forget that last year? The chase and all? It's about the only thing we had going that year, besides Timmeh coming up.

He was clearly shunned by all MLB teams. There weren't many better hitters in baseball that year, and easily could have DH'd for another year (and frankly more. Who knows how many, he was not really slowing down). Too bad, would have liked to see 800

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all my squabbling about some of the moves the team has made and all the frustrating parts and players this season, it is fun that the team is still in contention. However, we may feel differently (again) about the team a week from now. It is quite the see-saw season.

I'm just glad that the current upswing is happening against the dodgers. But we've seen this song and dance all year, next week they are bound to look terrible.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just glad that the current upswing is happening against the dodgers. But we've seen this song and dance all year, next week they are bound to look terrible.
The timing of the current upswing has been great.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean I realize it was probably time to move on but I was really hoping he'd still be able to play. And I feel like how can you forget that last year? The chase and all? It's about the only thing we had going that year, besides Timmeh coming up.

He was clearly shunned by all MLB teams. There weren't many better hitters in baseball that year, and easily could have DH'd for another year (and frankly more. Who knows how many, he was not really slowing down). Too bad, would have liked to see 800
I know why every other team shunned him, but we must have been tired of the drama otherwise why didn't we? He could have played LF some, 1B some, and DH in AL parks

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know why every other team shunned him, but we must have been tired of the drama otherwise why didn't we? He could have played LF some, 1B some, and DH in AL parks

The Rays were apparently very interested, which would have been wild. Do they win the World Series that year with Bonds?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants needed to move on to the next generation. And Bonds was reportedly NOT a good clubhouse guy. They needed to exercise that culture from the org.

Other teams didn’t want to introduce that element into their clubhouse nor didn’t they want to invite the questions and stories from the press. All from, essentially, a DH who could stop producing at any moment.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants needed to move on to the next generation. And Bonds was reportedly NOT a good clubhouse guy. They needed to exercise that culture from the org.

Other teams didn’t want to introduce that element into their clubhouse nor didn’t they want to invite the questions and stories from the press. All from, essentially, a DH who could stop producing at any moment.

Agree 100%, that's what I meant when I said we were 'all' tired of him.

But 1.000 OPS...that's like Mike Trout level hitting

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree 100%, that's what I meant when I said we were 'all' tired of him.

But 1.000 OPS...that's like Mike Trout level hitting
I think the late 90s/early 00s were still in our brains. 1.000 OPS wasn't as special as it is now.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the late 90s/early 00s were still in our brains. 1.000 OPS wasn't as special as it is now.

I'll put in in current-era terms.

Bonds was 6th in wRC+, 4th in OPS+ in 2007

He was 2nd and 1st in the NL (!!) respectively

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And he can't get a job but go ahead give the old lady a smack, and join the world champs.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not trying to say that his numbers weren't great that final season, just that offense was just coming down at that time so it wasn't as hard for a fan base or a team to walk away from those numbers. It wouldn't look quite as crazy then as it would now.
I do remember being ready for Bonds to play elsewhere, based on his age, the influence he purportedly had on the clubhouse and see the team try younger players. I was also mildly surprised that no one signed him.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to say that his numbers weren't great that final season, just that offense was just coming down at that time so it wasn't as hard for a fan base or a team to walk away from those numbers. It wouldn't look quite as crazy then as it would now.
I do remember being ready for Bonds to play elsewhere, based on his age, the influence he purportedly had on the clubhouse and see the team try younger players. I was also mildly surprised that no one signed him.

Got it, I misinterpreted what you meant

Reactions: LHG