• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1999-2012: 20 Most Meaningful Bowl Games

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was all in agreement until I got to #1. That Fiesta Bowl was a great game, but it was largely inconsequential. That Oklahoma team was not good by any stretch, having only scored more than 37 points once (against Middle Tennessee). They barely beat UAB for crying out loud, and their best win was against a four-loss Nebraska team. To call that one of the biggest upsets in history, as the article does, is insane because Oklahoma was only favored by seven. That's a minor upset at best, and that game has no business in the top ten. To put in above the USC-Texas game is just inept.

bchampy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was all in agreement until I got to #1. That Fiesta Bowl was a great game, but it was largely inconsequential. That Oklahoma team was not good by any stretch, having only scored more than 37 points once (against Middle Tennessee). They barely beat UAB for crying out loud, and their best win was against a four-loss Nebraska team. To call that one of the biggest upsets in history, as the article does, is insane because Oklahoma was only favored by seven. That's a minor upset at best, and that game has no business in the top ten. To put in above the USC-Texas game is just inept.

I didn't think it was the most meaningful. Fun to watch? Absolutely. But all it really did was put Boise St in the spotlight.

TheZou11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2006 was probably the weakest year in the Big 12's existence. Only Oklahoma (11) and Texas (13) finished that season ranked. Every other year except 2009 had at least four teams ranked at the end of the season.

mysfit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diss it all you want but the little dog who was told it didn't belong beat the big dog who was supposed to crush it.

Ya'll look back now and say pishaw it wasn't a big deal. At the time it sure was. We were what, double digit underdogs? And it changed the perception of the little dog. Annoying little ankle biters that we are.

bchampy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diss it all you want but the little dog who was told it didn't belong beat the big dog who was supposed to crush it.

Ya'll look back now and say pishaw it wasn't a big deal. At the time it sure was. We were what, double digit underdogs? And it changed the perception of the little dog. Annoying little ankle biters that we are.

No, you weren't.

Nobody is dissing the "little dog" (Boise fans really need to get over their inferiority complex). It's just not THE most meaningful bowl game in that time frame.

I'd put the Florida-Ohio St game from that same year ahead of the OU-BSU game and possibly #1. The SEC champion had to lobby to get into that game but the outcome pretty much gave the SEC champ an "auto-bid" into the BCS title game for the years after.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It says 1992-2012 and the 1994 Orange Bowl is not in there at all?

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sweet OU made the list 4 times.

0-4 :L

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems to me like Utah destroying Alabama was bigger than Boise st. beating a lousy OU team.

I guess the Bama-Utah game was kind of a snooze fest though...:Cry:

mysfit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, you weren't.

Nobody is dissing the "little dog" (Boise fans really need to get over their inferiority complex). It's just not THE most meaningful bowl game in that time frame.

I'd put the Florida-Ohio St game from that same year ahead of the OU-BSU game and possibly #1. The SEC champion had to lobby to get into that game but the outcome pretty much gave the SEC champ an "auto-bid" into the BCS title game for the years after.

Well that is one opinion.

We'll get over our complex when a real conference invites us in.............

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I'm reading this article and some of the comments. I think it's ludicrous that people still try to discredit TCU by discrediting Wisconsin. Yup, Wisconsin had a slow start. Everyone wants to use injuries as a reason for their own teams' struggles, but only as long as no one else can do the same thing, right? Well. Wisconsin was dinged up and struggling. They went to MSU missing a lot of key players. They got some rest. Got some guys back. Killed Minnesota. Manhandled Ohio State. And from that point on they were one of the best teams in the country, and I don't even think it's a debate. NOBODY else gave Wisconsin's offensive line the trouble that TCU gave them. Not even Michigan State, and the offensive line wasn't very healthy @ MSU that year.

If we'd had a 4 team playoff then, I think TCU would have been dangerous. I bet they wouldn't have been invited, though....

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I'm reading this article and some of the comments. I think it's ludicrous that people still try to discredit TCU by discrediting Wisconsin. Yup, Wisconsin had a slow start. Everyone wants to use injuries as a reason for their own teams' struggles, but only as long as no one else can do the same thing, right? Well. Wisconsin was dinged up and struggling. They went to MSU missing a lot of key players. They got some rest. Got some guys back. Killed Minnesota. Manhandled Ohio State. And from that point on they were one of the best teams in the country, and I don't even think it's a debate. NOBODY else gave Wisconsin's offensive line the trouble that TCU gave them. Not even Michigan State, and the offensive line wasn't very healthy @ MSU that year.

If we'd had a 4 team playoff then, I think TCU would have been dangerous. I bet they wouldn't have been invited, though....

TCU had a quick defense and a smart QB. Wisconsin was good too but they just got beat by a better team. No shame in that.