• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1991 handshake-gate

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Don't tell the MJ worshippers but as usual he's the one being petty.

i simply don’t give a fuck, he was better than anyone that ever laced them up.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then i just came across this tweet.

Need one of you old fucks to confirm or deny if it is true.

Teams pretty much always shook hands after games, no matter what happened during it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bird said they did not congratulate the Lakers after losing to them in the Finals though

The Lakers beat him twice. So, I wonder which time?

If he didn't, no one must have cared because that's first time I've heard that.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe both :noidea:

I'm sure if I cared more I could google it

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched the final seconds of the 87 finals. All the fans stormed the court so it was impossible to shake hands if they even wanted to.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure it happened when teams had profound dislike for each other as was clearly the case in both situations you mention.

But I also do not believe it was the norm to not shake hands. That is engrained from the youngest age in every kid sport league I have ever known. You shake hands with your opponent when the game is over. That is just what you do.

Pistons were wrong, if the Celtics did it to the Lakers, then they were wrong too.

And Jordan looks bad for still talking about it, because he got a championship which is all that really matters anyway. Let it go man!

That's all I was saying before. I have no issue saying Detroit was wrong. But Jordan saying they were bad for basketball after getting beat three times and still being salty 30 years later isn't a good look for him either.

I'm even willing to leave the dream team discussion aside but I just watched two NBA TV specials with Isiah and Worthy/McHale and didn't see any long standing hate there.

The Bulls are the saltiest of the bunch and it's a very simple reason why.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just watched the end of the 1985 NBA Finals. Laker players were running into the tunnel as soon as the clock hit zero and were instantly in the locker room celebrating with each. I couldn't see if any Celtics shook hands with any Lakers, but it seems like there wasn't much of an opportunity for a congratulatory handshake, at least not immediately after the game ended. And as someone else mentioned, the fans stormed the court at the end of the 1987 Finals.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just watched the end of the 1985 NBA Finals. Laker players were running into the tunnel as soon as the clock hit zero and were instantly in the locker room celebrating with each. I couldn't see if any Celtics shook hands with any Lakers, but it seems like there wasn't much of an opportunity for a congratulatory handshake, at least not immediately after the game ended. And as someone else mentioned, the fans stormed the court at the end of the 1987 Finals.

I think the NBA finals might be different than the conference finals. The courts tend to fill up with people pretty fast after the last finals game.

I don't think things get quite as crazy after the conference finals.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then i just came across this tweet.

Need one of you old fucks to confirm or deny if it is true.

To me that entire team on the Pistons were a bunch of thugs and played dirty...So them not shaking hands was not a surprise at all..To be fair though Shaking hands after the game was not a norm back then, so I think it was a little of both mixed with some bitter feelings at the end of the game...Lebron walked off court once and got fined for it...Some of them were young immature men