• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

'13-'14 Beavs Thread

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wishing the Beavs the best! Always one of my Pac favs. Aside of several miserable performances by my Broncos last year, few hurt worse than the Beavs loss to Texas.

NativeWebfoot

Live to race-Race to live
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The loss to Texas was frustrating to watch. It looked as if the Beaver coaching staff was giving the game away. There seemed to be NO adjustments to even try slowing Texas' Okafor from coming through to Vaz. By the time Vaz took his 3 step drop, Okafor was already on him.

NativeWebfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without getting the Pac 12 network, I had to go to cbssports and watch their lame gametracker. Last yr the Beavs held Wisconsin's Montee Ball (Heisman frontrunner) to less than 80 yds rushing. UCLA's RB became the new top Heisman and the Beavs held him to less than 100 yds causing him to drop off the Heisman list. OR St's defense was stout and they only lost ONE starter to the NFL, so WTF happened to the defense that they couldn't hold EWU's RB under 100yds tonight? That was EMBARRASSING !!!! There's NO excuse for losing the opener to an FCS team in your own house. :gaah::gaah::L:L:L:L

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Banker goes from "first to worse" with 6months of planning. NEVER figured out how to "pressure of cover" EW. Sac State and now this mess. Hey Markie...How bout "constant pressure from the get go instaed of your FUCKING dime package that can't cover shit! And Riley... How long do you stick wif a fuck stick that can't figure it out during an entire game? Heads MUST roll or just keep on riding your tricycle to work each day and except the loses to those 2 schools on opening day. EW came to play and your stinking D didn't...AGAIN.

NativeWebfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After calming down just a bit, I have to admit the offense did at least put up a decent amount of points and Mannion didn't throw any INTs. That alone surprised me but the offense sputtered too much and the defense took the night off. Banker should get kicked in the butt by everyone on the offensive side of the team. Come to think of it, the whole team was pretty offensive to me, so let's have everyone on the team kick Banker in the butt for not preparing a better defense against an FCS team that should be considered inferior to the Pac 12's #3 team.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After calming down just a bit, I have to admit the offense did at least put up a decent amount of points and Mannion didn't throw any INTs. That alone surprised me but the offense sputtered too much and the defense took the night off. Banker should get kicked in the butt by everyone on the offensive side of the team. Come to think of it, the whole team was pretty offensive to me, so let's have everyone on the team kick Banker in the butt for not preparing a better defense against an FCS team that should be considered inferior to the Pac 12's #3 team.

I think it comes down to match ups and not studying film. That FCS team looked for real and it may just be a slip up I still expect you guys to have a solid season.

NativeWebfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Banker had better have the Beaver D ready for Hawaii this week. Their offense probably won't be as strong as EWU, but the Beavs can't afford any more embarrassments if they want any respect this season. I fully expect a win but don't feel confident enough any more to bet they cover the spread.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Banker had better have the Beaver D ready for Hawaii this week. Their offense probably won't be as strong as EWU, but the Beavs can't afford any more embarrassments if they want any respect this season. I fully expect a win but don't feel confident enough any more to bet they cover the spread.

What do you think about us playing Wisconsin in 2 weeks? Wisconsin could be even better than last year there run game looks for real im starting to get scared.

NativeWebfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think about us playing Wisconsin in 2 weeks? Wisconsin could be even better than last year there run game looks for real im starting to get scared.
The Beavs had an outstanding D last season and it'll take a very good ASU D that's well prepared. I think ASU's offense will score points, but you'll need to stop the Badgers or be in a shootout that's more of a coin-toss.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may be time to bring in a new oc and a new coordinator you have all this talent and I feel like you could benefit from running something similar to a Oregon, Arizona style of offense or even ASUs I think if you look at what Colorado and Utah have run it has not worked well in the Pac 12 but your defense is usually so strong and Riley is great at recruiting D I think its time for a new OC and to recruit a running style QB. Obviously you guys have had better success than us in recent years, so who am I to judge I just see the talent and the players Riley can bring it and it just screams read option/spread type offense. It seem like Stanford,Oregon,ASU and Oregon state are the only teams trying to bring in big defensive players and it may benefit us in the long run. I have my questions about Taylor Kelly hes a great qb but can he sling the ball and spread the field like Hundley or Mariota. Kelly is a top 3 qb in the conference arguably, but the key for our success with him is to make sure hes not one dimensional hes one of the best throwers on the run in the country but hes a middle of the pac pocket passer, his arm strength got better as the season went on but there was a point in the year where he was struggling, like the Oregon State game that was probably due to the fact where we couldnt run the ball but once we started doing more read options with Kelly and having Kelly run more it opened a new wrinkle to our playbook how will we be able to keep our playbook fresh? Thats a question for another day but Kelly can t wing it like most qbs barely over 3,000 yards while he had 29 tds and 9 ints that shows his football IQ and how he runs the option better than anyone in the conference but im still concerned on his ability to throw from the pocket and spread the field to open the run game like a Hundley or a Mariota or like Matt Scott last year. He struggled vs teams like Oregon State and Usc who could stop the run and he was forced to throw from the pocket will see we play a Wisconsin team who can stop the run I am anxious to see how much better of a thrower from the pocket he has gotten. Mannion looked much improved last week and its funny how he has the game of his career but the defense doesnt play the way there capable of once again this was probably studying film Mannion was probably studying film the toughest since he actually has competition at quarterback while the defense probably acted like this was an easy win. I love Kelly but I worry about his ability to really wing the ball and im sure you worry about Mannions decision making which is what Kelly is best at. With less defenses in the conference caring I feel like all you need is a qb who is dual threat a qb who can gun it in there or a qb who can run, I feel like USC also needs a change of style of play. While USC will always get top defensive recruits they need to understand that the way the Pac 12 is recruiting all you need is to put a dual threat qb back there and spread the field while you have speed and talent around your qb. I worry about Kelly as a pocket thrower especially if we cant run the ball vs teams like Wisconsin, and Stanford. We will see though.

Last edited by a moderator:

NativeWebfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the Beavs struggled and sputtered, but got it going better in the 2nd half to beat Hawaii. They need to be better than they've played so far or it's going to be a dismal season. :L :L

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry for the brain fart earlier. I called for Katz for QB, but he's graduated and moved on. It's Cody Vaz that impressed me last season. He came in when Mannion got hurt, won all 3 games he QB'd then Mannion came back just in time for the Wash game. Mannion threw another 5 INTs if I remember right. Wash won and it really made a big impact on the final standings. Vaz was QB in the Stanford game and was beating Stanford for 54 minutes until he dropped the ball in the backfield while scrambling. Stanford recovered and won. Vaz may not throw for as many yards as Mannion but he SURE is a lot more accurate.

Mannion's stats this year are "over the top", wouldn't doubt if he is in the top 5 in college football. Time will tell as the PAC sched begins next week Native.

NativeWebfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mannion's stats this year are "over the top", wouldn't doubt if he is in the top 5 in college football. Time will tell as the PAC sched begins next week Native.
I've never bought into the Mannion hype. He throws WAY TOO many INTs and threw one tonight. I'd rather see Vaz given the chance to run the show week after week to see how the team does. Vaz took over last season when Mannion got hurt and went 3-0 before Mannion took back the QB duties for the fated Wash game. Mannion threw 5 INTs in that game, pissing it away. If the Beavs had Vaz in, I'm sure the Beavs would've won that game. Mannion had something like 18 INTs last season and that stat won't win enough games.

Last edited by a moderator:

NativeWebfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the game @ Utah and the Beavs sure need a better run game to keep defenses from going after the QB. The O line should be stronger than they've been playing so far, but I know the right side has been injured and rotating in different players. They need to run more plays to the stronger left. They ran almost every time to the right against Utah and struggled to gain anything on the ground. I hope Woods isn't hurt and only got his bell rung. We need him to carry the ball as well as catching passes out in the flat. The defense showed a little improvement but has trouble with QBs that keep and run the ball. 2-1, 1-0 now and should be able to handle SDSU this Saturday. Gonna have to keep improving and keep winning to convince the voters to rank the Beavs again.

NativeWebfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Utah any good this year?
I thought they'd be tough until OR St went up 27-10 on them early 3rd qtr, then when I thought, maybe they're not so good, they woke up and shut the Beavs down. The 4th qtr was a battle, trading leads and it went to OT. I think it could've gone Utah's way if they'd won the coin toss and had the Beavs go on offense first. They'll win some IC games this season.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully there a bowl team because Colorado and Utah have been a joke so far, Utah more because Colorado is building a very good basketball team.

NativeWebfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Narrowly escaped at San Diego and it was the defense that came through to win it for the Beavs. That pick 6 and then intercepting them again in the following series to end the game is what won it. Not the offense. I'm very surprised that Mannion hasn't thrown a dozen INTs already but after throwing the most INTs of ANY div 1 QB last year, he's probably afraid to pull the trigger this season and why the Beavs are struggling so bad. With 3 ugly wins and 1 loss that the Beavs should've won, it's hard to guage where the Beavs are going to finish the season. The game this weekend against Colorado should be an easy win, but will probably be another ugly and close one that the Beavs had better win or their season will pretty much be over unless they surprise a couple of the top teams that aren't prepared. :gaah:

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rest assured Native...Riley got the RIGHT GUY @ QB this year and Mannion's TO are almost non-exsistent this year. With the Beavs O-line all but devoid of starters, it's a tribute to what Mannion has accomplished so far this year...

Leaving the Beavers opponents ONLY 1 question to answer this year, "Can WE score more points than the Beavers do?"

So far only 1 team has and that was by a whisker...ALL THIS with NO O-line, run game and a crappy D that has yet to gell for an entire 60 minute game, except for late game heroics that is.