• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

12 games that will decide 2018

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From an article, discuss

i
i

1. Michigan at Notre Dame, Sept. 1: This game will feature two coaches who are both desperately trying to remain relevant through November, but it starts here. With no conference championship to play in, Brian Kelly knows the Irish can probably afford only one loss all season. The Irish also have road trips to Virginia Tech and USC this season. Technically, there are no elimination games in September, but if the Irish start with a loss, every game after that will certainly feel like one. Michigan can lose this game and still win the Big Ten, but starting the season with a win over the Irish is exactly what Jim Harbaugh needs.

i
i

2. Michigan at Ohio State, Nov. 24: Jim Harbaugh is 0-for-3 against the Buckeyes, and ... isn't that enough?

i
i

3. Clemson at Florida State, Oct. 27: Clemson also has a tough nonconference game against Texas A&M and former FSU coach Jimbo Fisher, but the path to the ACC title runs through Tallahassee. This game has typically determined the Atlantic Division winner and Clemson has won the past three in the series. Clemson can lose to the Aggies and still win the ACC, making it extremely difficult for the committee to leave out a one-loss ACC champ that should have one of the best defenses in the country.

i
i

4. Auburn at Alabama, Nov. 24: This game should again determine the SEC West winner, and while it's possible for the loser to still make the playoff (See: 2017), that's assuming it's the only loss. Don't forget Auburn also plays Washington this season, and Alabama has Louisville.

i
i

5. Oklahoma at West Virginia, Nov. 23: At No. 9 in ESPN's preseason FPI, the Sooners are the early favorite to win the Big 12, but the Mountaineers could be their toughest competition along the way, especially in Morgantown on a Friday night to end the season.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i
i

6. Ohio State at Michigan State, Nov. 10: Don't underestimate the Spartans in the Big Ten's East Division race this season, especially when they've got home-field advantage against both the Buckeyes and Michigan. With 19 starters returning, and a nonconference road trip to ASU, the Spartans have the pieces to be a CFP contender.

i
i

7. Auburn at Georgia, Nov. 10: The reason Auburn was still in the mix as a two-loss team last year was because it beat both Georgia and Alabama during the regular season. If it can pull off that feat again, it won't matter if Auburn loses to Washington in the opener -- just like the loss to Clemson last season was eventually forgiven.

i
i

8. Auburn vs. Washington, Sept. 1: Washington's strength of schedule is no longer an issue. In addition to the trip to the Chick-fil-A Kickoff in Atlanta, Washington also has five true conference road games. If the Huskies can beat Auburn and win the Pac-12, they'd seem like a no-brainer for a top-four spot. A win here also would give Auburn a much-needed cushion heading into league play, as the Tigers have November road trips to both Georgia and Alabama.

i
i

9. Ohio State at Penn State, Sept. 29: This will be a critical game in the Big Ten's East Division race, and both teams are currently ranked in the top 10 of ESPN's initial FPI. The Nittany Lions have to face Michigan on the road, and they also play Wisconsin in a crossover game this season, so they need to take care of business at home against the Buckeyes. Ohio State will face TCU in Arlington, Texas, on Sept. 15, but this will be the Buckeyes' first true road game of the season.

i
i

10. Wisconsin at Michigan, Oct. 13: The Badgers' strength of schedule looks better this season thanks to road trips to Iowa, Penn State, Northwestern and Michigan, but that also means it's going to be a lot more difficult to go undefeated in the regular season. This will be an important cross-divisional game that should be a huge boost to the winner's résumé.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i
i

11. Notre Dame at USC, Nov. 24: Ranked No. 5 in the preseason FPI, Notre Dame at least has the potential (again) to be an X factor in the playoff, but it can't fade down the stretch like it did last season. If Notre Dame can remain in the committee's top 25, and USC can win the Pac-12 South, this would be an enormous win for the Trojans heading into the title game.

i
i

12. Miami vs. LSU, Sept. 2: If both of these teams go on to have successful seasons and are ranked in the committee's top 25, this game could keep the winner in the CFP conversation much like Miami's win over Notre Dame did last year for the Canes.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i
i

12. Miami vs. LSU, Sept. 2: If both of these teams go on to have successful seasons and are ranked in the committee's top 25, this game could keep the winner in the CFP conversation much like Miami's win over Notre Dame did last year for the Canes.
This game will have 0 actual impact on the playoff. Neither of these teams is a legitimate contender.

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting that there's not 1 PAC matchup, just Notre Dame-USC.

Edit: Washington-Auburn as well, unusual matchup there.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But trying to figure out which PAC vs. PAC is going to decide how that conference goes is anybody's guess.
Honestly, with the QB situation at USC unsettled, I think it's just going to be a pretty mediocre conference this year. Washington stands out as the obvious favorite, and after them, there isn't a lot to think about IMO.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, with the QB situation at USC unsettled, I think it's just going to be a pretty mediocre conference this year. Washington stands out as the obvious favorite, and after them, there isn't a lot to think about IMO.

whaaaat?? mister, how DARE you forget about those wiley oregon ducks! .....:dhd:

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised to see not one Bama game in there

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like how Auburn, Ohio State and Michigan perform will determine 2018. No need for the rest to play...unless you are the ones playing them. Except ND...they are listed twice so their performance may have sumpin to say about it.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this in order from most important to least? Or is he just listing 12 games?

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought every game mattered???

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this in order from most important to least? Or is he just listing 12 games?

My guess would be from most important to least, but don't know how Mich/ND would be #1 then? I get it's a big game, but I think ND is probably a 3/4 loss team and Michigan could be the same.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Michigan/ND is on the list, then why not WVU/Tennessee.
Jesus fuk man.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess would be from most important to least, but don't know how Mich/ND would be #1 then? I get it's a big game, but I think ND is probably a 3/4 loss team and Michigan could be the same.
Yeah that was my thought exactly. Also Clemson/FSU would be wildly overrated.