• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

10 best recruiting classes of the past decade

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully in the next 4-5 years we will be able to add Michigan 2017 to that list!

Ranking the 10 best college football recruiting classes in the last decade

Ranking the 10 best college football recruiting classes in the last decade

Across college football, coaches are capping the frenzied and chaotic home stretch to this year’s recruiting cycle by tying up loose ends, securing last-minute verbal commitments and preparing the necessary paperwork for national signing day.

For nearly every program in the Football Bowl Subdivision, a proper grade for these recruiting classes can’t be provided for at least another three or four seasons — enough time for incoming recruits to develop and make an on-field impact.

There are outliers. The elite of college football sign prospects capable of making an immediate push for playing time; Alabama and Clemson, for example, will land first-day help from a number of freshmen and junior-college transfers.

But for the majority, it’s too early to tell. What we can do, however, is look back on the recent past to identify the top signing classes to come through the FBS.

In this week’s top-10 list, let’s look at the best recruiting classes since 2007. While grading recruits can be subjective, this list takes into account college success and number of future NFL draftees. Here’s the top 10, beginning with the class that started a dynasty:

1. 2008 Alabama
Notable signees: WR Julio Jones, DL Marcell Dareus, RB Mark Ingram, DT Terrence Cody and OL Barrett Jones

The signing class that kicked off one of the great runs in FBS history. That above list only gives a slight taste of how many difference-making recruits Nick Saban signed in his first full cycle as Alabama’s head coach.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-trend-numbers-early-enrollees-rise/97212534/
2. 2013 Ohio State
Notable signees: LB Darron Lee, DE Joey Bosa, QB J.T. Barrett, RB Ezekiel Elliott and DB Eli Apple

A small slice of this class remains on campus, including Barrett, a fifth-year senior in 2017. But the majority has come and gone, with many already excelling in the NFL: Elliott’s already a star, Bosa was unstoppable in duty for the San Diego Chargers and Apple was fantastic as a rookie for the New York Giants, to name three.
http://usatodayhss.com/2017/2017-composite-football-recruiting-rankings-by-position
3. 2009 Alabama
Notable signees: DB Dre Fitzpatrick, RB Eddie Lacy, RB Trent Richardson, QB AJ McCarron and OT D.J. Fluker

Coming on the heels of the 2008 class, this group solidified the Crimson Tide’s rise under Saban and provided the backbone of a roster that would capture back-to-back titles in 2011 and 2012.

4. 2012 Florida State
Notable signees: QB Jameis Winston, DB Ronald Darby, DL Mario Edwards, DT Eddie Goldman and K Roberto Aguayo

Though small in number — Florida State signed just 19 players — this class was long on talent. Winston won a Heisman Trophy, Edwards and Goldman were all-conference contributors and future NFL draftees, Darby was a shutdown cornerback and Aguayo one of the most effective kickers in NCAA history.

5. 2009 LSU
Notable signees: LB Barkevious Mingo, CB Morris Claiborne, LB Kevin Minter, WR Rueben Randle and DT Michael Brockers

By 2011, this class provided the muscle behind one of the most impressive regular seasons in FBS history — even if the year ended with a disappointing loss in the rematch against Alabama. Mingo, Claiborne, Minter, Randle, Brockers, defensive end Sam Montgomery and defensive tackle Bennie Logan ended up being selected in the first three rounds of the NFL draft.

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/what-does-a-letter-of-intent-say-10-things-to-know
6. 2008 Oregon
Notable signees: RB LaMichael James, RB LeGarrette Blount, DE Dion Jordan, QB Darron Thomas and LB Kiko Alonso

Oregon’s stranglehold on the Pac-12 during Chip Kelly’s tenure was built on this class. James is the most productive rusher in program history. Thomas was a multiple-year starter, if overshadowed by Marcus Mariota’s ensuing run under center. Jordan, originally signed as a tight end, developed into a first-round pick at defensive end.

7. 2007 Florida
Notable signees: OL Michael and Maurkice Pouncey, DB Joe Haden, DE Carlos Dunlap, DB Major Wright and TE Aaron Hernandez

This group would help Urban Meyer win his second national title at Florida, though the final tally — including disappointing 2010 and 2011 seasons — is a bit of a mixed bag. But there’s no overlooking the future NFL talent the coaching staff reeled on board. The Gators’ class also gets bonus points for including five-star quarterback Cam Newton, even if he’d be dismissed from the program before making an impact.

8. 2011 Florida State
Notable signees: DT Timmy Jernigan, TE Nick O’Leary, WR Kelvin Benjamin, WR Rashad Greene and RB Devonta Freeman

One year before Winston and others arrived on campus, this 2011 signing class helped Jimbo Fisher and the Seminoles lay the foundation for the 2013 national championship.

9. 2009 Stanford
Notable signees: LB Shayne Skov, TE Zach Ertz, RB Stepfan Taylor, LB Trent Murphy and RB Tyler Gaffney

Unlike most classes on this list, Stanford’s group in 2009 wasn’t loaded with top-100 talent — many were four-star recruits, to be fair, but the majority went largely overlooked in the final rankings. Time told the story: Ertz and Murphy were three-star signees who developed into All-America contributors, and Taylor and Gaffney headlined the Cardinal’s powerful running game.

10. 2009 Notre Dame
Notable signees: LB Manti Te’o, OL Zack Martin, TE Tyler Eifert and RB Theo Riddick.

While Te’o was the star of this class, the Irish signed another two eventual first-round picks in Martin and Eifert. Four years after joining the program, this class would lead Notre Dame to a 12-0 regular season and a spot in the national championship game against Alabama.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That 2013 class also included Jalin Marshall (1st string punt/kick returner and backup WR for the Jets) and Gareon Conley (possible 1st round pick in this year's draft), along with Tyquan Lewis, who has been mocked as a potential 1st rounder in 2018.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't take list serious when Clemson isn't mentioned. They are practically a feeder to the NFL these days.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can say that this 2017 TOSU recruiting class is projected to be our best ever class in history of TOSU. It's pretty ridiculous and to have Alabama ranked even better is just sick.

OSU does have an amazing class this year. I can't believe all the 5 star guys. I think its the four extra bodies that puts Alabama over OSU.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OSU does have an amazing class this year. I can't believe all the 5 star guys. I think its the four extra bodies that puts Alabama over OSU.
I think they will pull in one more for this class. If by some chance they can pull off the upset and land Marvin Wilson, shit that would pretty much lock us up for the number 1 class for 2017 imo. I just don't see Hollywood Marv leaving the south. I think he goes to LSU. For some reason, OSU can't get the elite DTs for whatever reason? The guys from the south don't like to leave home from the Gulf states.:noidea: I mean look at this ox!

MARVIN_WILSON_CARD.0.jpg

Last edited:

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2010 Florida class was the highest ranked ever until the OSU 2017 class. As far as a class that produced the most NFL players it's either OSU or a Bama class. LSU currently has the most players in the NFL.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they will pull in one more for this class. If by some chance they can pull off the upset and land Marvin Wilson, shit that would pretty much lock us up for the number 1 class for 2017 imo. I just don't see Hollywood Marv leaving the south. I think he goes to LSU. For some reason, OSU can't get the elite DTs for whatever reason? The guys from the south don't like to leave home from the Gulf states.:noidea: I mean look at this ox!

MARVIN_WILSON_CARD.0.jpg
Isn't that the guy from the Blind Side. You cheatin mutha fuckas brought in Michael Oher!?!?!?

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe the 2014 Kansas class didn't make this list. :scratch:

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MARVIN_WILSON_CARD.0.jpg
He's going to FSU. Go Noles!

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't take list serious when Clemson isn't mentioned. They are practically a feeder to the NFL these days.
Yeah but what one class is that particularly amazing?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but what one class is that particularly amazing?

You're telling me a class with Sammy Watkins, Martavious Bryant, Charone Peake, Stephone Anthony, Grady Jarrett, Adam Humphries and Kevin Dodd doesn't deserve to be on the list? That's better than half these classes IMO.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're telling me a class with Sammy Watkins, Martavious Bryant, Charone Peake, Stephone Anthony, Grady Jarrett, Adam Humphries and Kevin Dodd doesn't deserve to be on the list? That's better than half these classes IMO.
The only ones on that list that are making a mark in the NFL are Watkins (who can't stay healthy) and Grady Jarrett. Bryant is high all the time and has only been good in small, infrequent spurts. Peake, I don't even know where he's playing. Anthony is a bust who lost his job to an over the hill James Laurinaitis this year, Adam Humphries is adequate at best, and Kevin Dodd hasn't proven anything. That class doesn't belong on this list.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only ones on that list that are making a mark in the NFL are Watkins (who can't stay healthy) and Grady Jarrett. Bryant is high all the time and has only been good in small, infrequent spurts. Peake, I don't even know where he's playing. Anthony is a bust who lost his job to an over the hill James Laurinaitis this year, Adam Humphries is adequate at best, and Kevin Dodd hasn't proven anything. That class doesn't belong on this list.

What the hell have the guys from Stanford done in that 2009 class? Also, I didn't know the list was determined by what they have done at the NFL level. I mean hell two guys from #1 team according to list haven't done shit in the NFL.

This is why this class belongs on the list, and it's a joke that it's not, honestly.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell have the guys from Stanford done in that 2009 class? Also, I didn't know the list was determined by what they have done at the NFL level. I mean hell two guys from #1 team according to list haven't done shit in the NFL.

This is why this class belongs on the list, and it's a joke that it's not, honestly.
Stanford is the only class you have an argument with, though I'd take Ertz and Trent Murphy on my team any day of the week, especially Murphy. I'd argue both of them are better right now than anyone from that Clemson class, unless Watkins can actually get and stay healthy.

All of those classes listed have put guys in the NFL, so I don't know why you're acting like Clemson's class is so special. It also doesn't even come close to comparing to the #1 Bama class. Julio >>>>>> Watkins, Ingram is a really good RB when NO isn't being stupid and underutilizing him, Dareus is one of the top DTs in the league, and this list also forgot to mention Mark Barron, who has become a very good LB for the Rams and Dont'a Hightower, who just made a Pro Bowl and was 2nd team All-Pro for NE after being a 1st rounder.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford is the only class you have an argument with, though I'd take Ertz and Trent Murphy on my team any day of the week, especially Murphy. I'd argue both of them are better right now than anyone from that Clemson class, unless Watkins can actually get and stay healthy.

All of those classes listed have put guys in the NFL, so I don't know why you're acting like Clemson's class is so special. It also doesn't even come close to comparing to the #1 Bama class. Julio >>>>>> Watkins, Ingram is a really good RB when NO isn't being stupid and underutilizing him, Dareus is one of the top DTs in the league, and this list also forgot to mention Mark Barron, who has become a very good LB for the Rams and Dont'a Hightower, who just made a Pro Bowl and was 2nd team All-Pro for NE after being a 1st rounder.

Other than the fact that a dozen out of this class went on to either get drafted or sign a contract as an undrafted free agent. Hell even that ND class in 09 only put like 5 people into the league. This is why it's a joke that 2011 Clemson isn't on the list. And Oregon at 6 is even a bigger joke.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than the fact that a dozen out of this class went on to either get drafted or sign a contract as an undrafted free agent. Hell even that ND class in 09 only put like 5 people into the league. This is why it's a joke that 2011 Clemson isn't on the list. And Oregon at 6 is even a bigger joke.
I think it's understood that this list is about quality, not quantity. Outside of Watkins and Jarrett, nobody else from that class has done much at all in the NFL. In fact, Humphries, Peake and Bryant never really did shit at the college level, so I'm not sure what the big fuss about that class is about.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's understood that this list is about quality, not quantity. Outside of Watkins and Jarrett, nobody else from that class has done much at all in the NFL. In fact, Humphries, Peake and Bryant never really did shit at the college level, so I'm not sure what the big fuss about that class is about.

Again, what the hell has that Oregon class or Stanford class done at the next level? Hell they even listed Darron Thomas who's never thrown an NFL pass.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, what the hell has that Oregon class or Stanford class done at the next level? Hell they even listed Darron Thomas who's never thrown an NFL pass.
La. James, Thomas, and Jordan were all studs in college, and Blount and Alonso are both studs in the NFL. Blount led the NFL in rushing TDs and Alonso has had 115+ tackles in 2 of his 3 seasons and is coming off a great year in Miami. They were also an exceptionally accomplished college class.

Like I said, you can argue with that Stanford class, but I'd take Ertz and Murphy over any of those Clemson guys if you asked me today.

That Clemson class, let's examine:
Watkins: Elite in college, good but inconsistent/unhealthy in the NFL
Grady Jarrett: Good in college/good in the NFL
Kevin Dodd: 1 year of anything at all of note in college, though it was great/unproven in NFL
Anthony: Good in college/shitty in the NFL
Humphries/Bryant/Peake: Decent at best in college/not shit in the NFL

What's the big deal?? Could they be added over Stanford? Possibly. Is the list a "joke" because they're not in it? No, not even close.