• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Daily Thread: 10/5/2017: Diamondbacks win, real playoffs start today

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean you don't want to see the Indians end the Red Sox playoff hopes in back-to-back seasons? That's odd. I thought everyone wanted to see that.
Whether the Indians, Astros, Yankees, Dodgers, Diamondbacks, Nationals, or Cubs end the Red Sox season doesn't matter to me.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Equally of the Tribe and Stros, I struggle with who i think is better

Full disclosure, I'm scared of all of them. Even the Red Sox.

I'm scared of short series -- and I consider seven games a short series.

I'm so fucking amped up, it's not even funny. I'm not used to expectations like this.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm so fucking amped up, it's not even funny. I'm not used to expectations like this.

Im so jacked up my wife and kids have to head to her sisters overnight tonight....Having the boys over

Its a different kind of excitement because I really know we are going against a team we probably arent gonna beat, so that sucks

But if we steal tonight, all bets are off in a 5 game series

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a different kind of excitement because I really know we are going against a team we probably arent gonna beat, so that sucks

You might be feeling a lot like I did last year.

Before the 2016 ALDS, I thought, 'well, I didn't expect the Indians to be here, and with the Tribe's injuries, the Red Sox are clearly a better team and we'll probably lose the series, but it's been a fun season."

Honestly, I felt like I was playing with house money right up to the point when they had the 3-1 lead on the Cubs. Then I started feeling like I do today. If the Indians go deep into the playoffs, my heart might explode - if it does, I'll see you guys in hell.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm so ready to go. My boss was over on Saturday while we watched the Red Sox clinch. I was rocking back and forth, turning my head, in a bit of a freak out when Price had to come in since the Astros got close. He said it was the first time he ever saw me nervous. I'm pretty calm in every other scenario, even ones that people would consider stressful. But man, when it comes to the playoffs, when there is nothing I can do about it, and I care that much it gets to me.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That said, I'm not feeling like the Indians are clearly a better team than the Yankees right now.

The offenses are both very strong, and the bullpens are ridiculously good.

I give the Indians the edge in starting pitching and defense.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But man, when it comes to the playoffs, when there is nothing I can do about it, and I care that much it gets to me.

This.

Also, if someone asked me to explain why I love baseball in one word, it would be anticipation. These games take that anticipation and emotionally charge them off the charts.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might be feeling a lot like I did last year.

Before the 2016 ALDS, I thought, 'well, I didn't expect the Indians to be here, and with the Tribe's injuries, the Red Sox are clearly a better team and we'll probably lose the series, but it's been a fun season."

Honestly, I felt like I was playing with house money right up to the point when they had the 3-1 lead on the Cubs. Then I started feeling like I do today. If the Indians go deep into the playoffs, my heart might explode - if it does, I'll see you guys in hell.

Yankees have mashed bad pitching all season, with a sprinkling of beating good pitching

My biggest fear is their bats go dead against this rotation

Not to mention there isnt a spot in the Indians lineup where a pitcher can breathe easy

Its just the most well constructed team left in the postseason, I felt that long before I knew we would face them

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankees have mashed bad pitching all season, with a sprinkling of beating good pitching

My biggest fear is their bats go dead against this rotation

Not to mention there isnt a spot in the Indians lineup where a pitcher can breathe easy

Its just the most well constructed team left in the postseason, I felt that long before I knew we would face them

I was reading a breakdown of the four AL teams on FiveThirtyEight, complete with what they concluded were the strengths and weaknesses of each team. I did have to laugh when the Indians' weakness was that they don't have an offensive superstar. They scored the 3rd most runs in the AL (2nd most post ASB).

I felt like they might as well have gone with:

Indians Weakness: Well, 1st Base Coach, Sandy Alomar Jr, appears to have put on some weight since last season.