• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 08/01/17 - 67 @ 59

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes totally, and that's my qualm. Why did he pick Gorkys, a guy who's not great defensively, has good wheels but doesn't know how to use them, and is pretty much a singles hitter. And is 29 years old.

That I couldn't tell you. Maybe they will learn to give rookies more rope.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes totally, and that's my qualm. Why did he pick Gorkys, a guy who's not great defensively, has good wheels but doesn't know how to use them, and is pretty much a singles hitter. And is 29 years old.
And he looked HORRIBLE during the first 2 months. There really wasn't anything (that I saw, at least) that pointed to him turning it around. Outside of last year, he has a track record of being a rather meh player.

Conversely, Mac has a track record of being a pretty good player, but has not ever been given a chance to show anything at the MLB level. Hardly even as a bench player.

I understand the concept of using a MLB job as a carrot, but sometimes you gotta actually let them eat the carrot or they die of hunger.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he looked HORRIBLE during the first 2 months. There really wasn't anything (that I saw, at least) that pointed to him turning it around. Outside of last year, he has a track record of being a rather meh player.

Conversely, Mac has a track record of being a pretty good player, but has not ever been given a chance to show anything at the MLB level. Hardly even as a bench player.

I understand the concept of using a MLB job as a carrot, but sometimes you gotta actually let them eat the carrot or they die of hunger.

Mac has been playing rather poor in AAA, and I have to wonder if it's because he's mad/sad/angry that he's basically been passed on so many times. I feel like at this point he knows the carrot cake is a lie.

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rwb50L.1L.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mac has been playing rather poor in AAA, and I have to wonder if it's because he's mad/sad/angry that he's basically been passed on so many times. I feel like at this point he knows the carrot cake is a lie.
This is a long term issue I've had with the organization, except for the last few years. For the most part, during the 3 WS championships run, the team seemed a little more patient with rookies, at least more patient than the 1st decade of the 21st century (there was still that merry go round at 2nd base prior to Panik's arrival that suggested this would still be an issue). However, it would seem the Giants are going more the way of playing veterans too much. Its almost as if they view late 20 something players who've made big leagues debuts with other organizations as "kids" and that is what is meant when they say they'll play the kids.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a long term issue I've had with the organization, except for the last few years. For the most part, during the 3 WS championships run, the team seemed a little more patient with rookies, at least more patient than the 1st decade of the 21st century (there was still that merry go round at 2nd base prior to Panik's arrival that suggested this would still be an issue). However, it would seem the Giants are going more the way of playing veterans too much. Its almost as if they view late 20 something players who've made big leagues debuts with other organizations as "kids" and that is what is meant when they say they'll play the kids.
But HAVE they been patient with rookies? Every rookie they have inserted into the core has basically exploded onto the scene (maybe Craw and Belt are exceptions). Duffy grabbed the job by the sack and refused to let go (until he blew out his Achilles and has hardly played since). Panik grabbed the job out of a black hole and became a WS hero. Heston was supposed to be a fill in, but pitched like an Ace (for half a season, at least). Blach was only given a shot when Bum tried out for the AMA.

I actually like how they handled Arroyo. He LOOKED good, but wasn't getting the results, but they let him play for 3-4 weeks before sending him down. But every other rookie was shown the door if the didn't play like an MVP right out of the gate.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But HAVE they been patient with rookies? Every rookie they have inserted into the core has basically exploded onto the scene (maybe Craw and Belt are exceptions). Duffy grabbed the job by the sack and refused to let go (until he blew out his Achilles and has hardly played since). Panik grabbed the job out of a black hole and became a WS hero. Heston was supposed to be a fill in, but pitched like an Ace (for half a season, at least). Blach was only given a shot when Bum tried out for the AMA.

I actually like how they handled Arroyo. He LOOKED good, but wasn't getting the results, but they let him play for 3-4 weeks before sending him down. But every other rookie was shown the door if the didn't play like an MVP right out of the gate.
I was wondering that as I typed, thinking specifically about Belt, and dismissed the idea that every rookie exploded onto the scene. You may be right. The issue didn't go away, it just got masked by a lot of guys playing hot right away. If anything, that has probably made the situation worse, making the FO even more impatient with slow starts (i.e. Williamson this year).