• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Warriors sign Kwame Brown

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured this was coming. 1 year $7mill. Eats up a chunk of space but he had multiple suitors and it comes off our books next off-season. It will be interesting to see what we do with the remaining dough.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I figured this was coming. 1 year $7mill. Eats up a chunk of space but he had multiple suitors and it comes off our books next off-season. It will be interesting to see what we do with the remaining dough.

Screaming would not help, so I am just going to quietly walk away with my head held low and shaking.

I wish I had the power to stop caring because stupid moves like these would make a normal man walk away.

:burt:

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

And you did call this move at least a week ago. I openly hoped you were wrong, but deep inside I think we all knew you were right.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If only two mediocre centers equaled one good one. Oh well, at least the bench is improved from last year. I still think this team is an 8-seed. Really, the whole year will be spent rooting to give New Jersey a worse pick. Marcus Williams. Laughing keeps me from crying.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the bright side, this.....who am I kidding here? There is no bright side to this. If someone else can think of a bright side please enlighten me.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, my bad. I didn't see it. I was in such utter disbelief.

I don't blame you. It made me want to bang my head against the wall too. I did the same thing on the Giants board posting about Rowand signing with the Marlins when it should have gone into the off-season thread.

Hopefully we get a mod who can clean these things up.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If only two mediocre centers equaled one good one. Oh well, at least the bench is improved from last year. I still think this team is an 8-seed. Really, the whole year will be spent rooting to give New Jersey a worse pick. Marcus Williams. Laughing keeps me from crying.

If some people get hurt (wink wink) and Ellis is traded, we could still get our pick. We just have to be top 7. I think we should have a couple of season ending "injuries" to push for that top spot. Andre Drummond will be worth losing a season for.
Who knows, we might be able to get a lottery pick for some form of Ellis and another?
Somehow we need to get a pair of lottery picks this draft. Even if we can't get the top pick, I would love to get Jeremy Lamb and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist to lockdown the wings.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If some people get hurt (wink wink) and Ellis is traded, we could still get our pick. We just have to be top 7. I think we should have a couple of season ending "injuries" to push for that top spot. Andre Drummond will be worth losing a season for.
Who knows, we might be able to get a lottery pick for some form of Ellis and another?
Somehow we need to get a pair of lottery picks this draft. Even if we can't get the top pick, I would love to get Jeremy Lamb and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist to lockdown the wings.

I have always been a fan of Chris Mullin when he was on the court. Dude could ball with the best of them. But that trade that cost us a 1st round draft pick for MacBook Williams has to rank as one of the dumbest trades ever made.

I never EVER want to wish for a losing season. And with Mark Jackson as head coach, I want more than ever to believe that this team has the personnel to make the playoffs. But there is something to be said for keeping that draft pick, especially since next year's draft already looks like it is going to be huge.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll be rooting for the Warriors until I die, regardless (hopefully, at least another 50 years or so), so in general, I don't favor tanking any seasons in hopes of getting a ping pong ball to bounce my way. I'm pretty sure if the Nets don't get the Dubs pick this year, they'll have a chance at an unprotected pick down the line.

It's time to cut the losses. The West is worse than the beginning of last year, and it's a short season. This team is capable of making the playoffs. It always hurts to lose a pick for nothing (and Marcus Williams is/was obviously nothing), but hopefully, it will be a pick in the late teens, early 20s. As deep as this draft is, the odds of getting an impact player there are still slimmer. I assume that is why you favor "tanking" it.

I favor freeing up cap space, making smart front office moves (amnesty for Avi would have been a good one), solid player development and scouting. Being bad for three to five years won't work for this ownership group, and it doesn't work for me. I am patient (like I said, not going anywhere), but I can't stand the idea of professional people trying to lose or even not doing their best to win.

Last edited by a moderator:

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be rooting for the Warriors until I die, regardless (hopefully, at least another 50 years or so), so in general, I don't favor tanking any seasons in hopes of getting a ping pong ball to bounce my way. I'm pretty sure if the Nets don't get the Dubs pick this year, they'll have a chance at an unprotected pick down the line.

It's time to cut the losses. The West is worse than the beginning of last year, and it's a short season. This team is capable of making the playoffs. It always hurts to lose a pick for nothing (and Marcus Williams is/was obviously nothing), but hopefully, it will be a pick in the late teens, early 20s. As deep as this draft is, the odds of getting an impact player there are still slimmer. I assume that is why you favor "tanking" it.

I favor freeing up cap space, making smart front office moves (amnesty for Avi would have been a good one), solid player development and scouting. Being bad for three to five years won't work for this ownership group, and it doesn't work for me. I am patient (like I said, not going anywhere), but I can't stand the idea of professional people trying to lose or even not doing their best to win.

And thats standup of you and all that. On the other hand, this will be the strongest draft since 03, we need to start over through the draft, f/o moves, so on and so on. The way this team is built right now we will never be anything more than a 7th seed. I've been a Warriors fan for too long to be rooting for just a 7th or 8th seed. All we have to do is make a couple of trades for a potential early pick, some expiring, as well as nurse whatever injuries occur during the season to make this team stronger than we've been in a while. A lot of other teams have went this route and have been very strong because of it, look at the Spurs, Hornets (until now), The Thunder just to name a few. We can still build a real winner, even with Lee on the roster.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And thats standup of you and all that. On the other hand, this will be the strongest draft since 03, we need to start over through the draft, f/o moves, so on and so on. The way this team is built right now we will never be anything more than a 7th seed. I've been a Warriors fan for too long to be rooting for just a 7th or 8th seed. All we have to do is make a couple of trades for a potential early pick, some expiring, as well as nurse whatever injuries occur during the season to make this team stronger than we've been in a while. A lot of other teams have went this route and have been very strong because of it, look at the Spurs, Hornets (until now), The Thunder just to name a few. We can still build a real winner, even with Lee on the roster.

I respect your position and understand where you're coming from. I agree that 2012's draft will be deeper than most, and it would be nice to have a good pick (or any first-rounder at all). I even see how your ideas could end up being beneficial to the franchise. Unfortunately, I hate the idea because I want to root for a playoff team, which the Warriors could be for the next few years. Yes. They won't be able to draft a superstar, and it seems, to compete for a championship in the NBA a team requires two to three of those elusive players. However, just making it to the playoffs at least gives the team a shot. Maybe there will be injuries to key players on other teams. Maybe Mark Jackson will get this bunch to play solid team defense. Anything can happen if the front office at least tries to put together a good squad.

The main problem with your plan is that it assumes these superstars will definitely appear on the Warriors within the next three to five years after tanking one season. I fear that one (more) season of horrible basketball could actually lead to another decade of obscurity.

I agree that Lee can exist on a Championship roster, but his current contract can't. There is no point to continue your call for further failure (and I fear that this will be your mantra all season as it was for some on the ESPN board last year... and the year before that... and the year before that...). We know this team won't be as great as we would like, but I think it's more beneficial to root for improvement and development than fake injuries and lopsided trades. The lottery is just that, even after the ping pong balls drop, there are no guarantees of great players. We finally have a legitimate playoff contender to root for, so why would we want them to scrap the whole thing in favor of a team that might compete for a championship someday? We already lost two months of NBA-caliber basketball to greedy bickering, why forgo an entire season? Or two? Or three?

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I respect your position and understand where you're coming from. I agree that 2012's draft will be deeper than most, and it would be nice to have a good pick (or any first-rounder at all). I even see how your ideas could end up being beneficial to the franchise. Unfortunately, I hate the idea because I want to root for a playoff team, which the Warriors could be for the next few years. Yes. They won't be able to draft a superstar, and it seems, to compete for a championship in the NBA a team requires two to three of those elusive players. However, just making it to the playoffs at least gives the team a shot. Maybe there will be injuries to key players on other teams. Maybe Mark Jackson will get this bunch to play solid team defense. Anything can happen if the front office at least tries to put together a good squad.

The main problem with your plan is that it assumes these superstars will definitely appear on the Warriors within the next three to five years after tanking one season. I fear that one (more) season of horrible basketball could actually lead to another decade of obscurity.

I agree that Lee can exist on a Championship roster, but his current contract can't. There is no point to continue your call for further failure (and I fear that this will be your mantra all season as it was for some on the ESPN board last year... and the year before that... and the year before that...). We know this team won't be as great as we would like, but I think it's more beneficial to root for improvement and development than fake injuries and lopsided trades. The lottery is just that, even after the ping pong balls drop, there are no guarantees of great players. We finally have a legitimate playoff contender to root for, so why would we want them to scrap the whole thing in favor of a team that might compete for a championship someday? We already lost two months of NBA-caliber basketball to greedy bickering, why forgo an entire season? Or two? Or three?

I get what your saying and it makes sense. I've been on the espn boards for years myself and never called to tank once. This season just disappointed me so much, so sudden. We started thinking there would be no season, then there was a season, then we're in every major discussion, to signing Kwame Brown. I just threw a tantrum. I can't ever just root for us to lose. Even last season as we were winning at the end. People were saying we should be tanking for more ping pong balls, I argued that we needed to win for chemistry purposes. I'm a fan to the end, if it's hella 7th-8th seeds, then thats what it is. If it's blowing it up, then thats what it is. We Believe! I occasionally still wear my yellow tee from game 3 in 07.
:tj:

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what your saying and it makes sense. I've been on the espn boards for years myself and never called to tank once. This season just disappointed me so much, so sudden. We started thinking there would be no season, then there was a season, then we're in every major discussion, to signing Kwame Brown. I just threw a tantrum. I can't ever just root for us to lose. Even last season as we were winning at the end. People were saying we should be tanking for more ping pong balls, I argued that we needed to win for chemistry purposes. I'm a fan to the end, if it's hella 7th-8th seeds, then thats what it is. If it's blowing it up, then thats what it is. We Believe! I occasionally still wear my yellow tee from game 3 in 07.
:tj:

Big Rep. I think Warriors' fans are the only ones that can get excited about this roster. As disappointing as it may seem, the 2011/12 roster is definitely the best since the We Believe days, and you'd have to go back a long way to find a better team, on paper, after that. If Biedrins and Brown took this off-season very seriously, D-Wright wasn't a flash in the pan and Udoh continues to develop, in some ways, this team will be better than the squad that ousted the Mavs in the first round. Dare to dream. :flypig: :becky: