• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So, no first round pick in '12?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For some reason I just found out about it, and it HURTS. This 2012 draft looks to be stacked. I wanted Harrison Barnes in '11 for the Warriors, and after he came back I hoped he'd be available for the Warriors in the following draft.

What a fucking buzz kill.

ChuckDurn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This isn't quite right. We retain the pick if it's in the top-7 in 2012, and obviously Barnes will be go in the top 7. If the lockout gets solved, hopefully we won't really factor in the top 7 of the draft, but if we do, we keep our pick and would have a shot at whoever is there.

If we keep the pick this year (i.e. if we pick in the top 7), it is top-7 protected in 2013, and then top-6 protected in 2014. So the highest pick we could end up giving up is the #7 pick in 2014. If we stumble into the lottery and end up with a very high pick, we would keep it.

If by 2014 we haven't given up our pick (i.e. we keep getting very high picks), then Utah gets our #2 pick in 2014 and our #2 pick in 2016.

RealGM.com has a great page that explains who has the rights to whose picks, right here. I'm just paraphrasing it. NBA Future Drafts Detailed - RealGM

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happens if there is no season? Does this carry through to the '13 draft?

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What happens if there is no season? Does this carry through to the '13 draft?

That's a great question. I don't think anyone has the answer to that. If I had to venture a guess, i would say that even if there were no season, the owners would still hold a draft, thereby keeping the terms of the deal in tact.

If you think about it, college players are not going to stop graduating just because the NBA is locked out. So here is my guess: I would think that the owners would hold a draft in 2012 and base the draft order on a team's combined record over the past 3 seasons or perhaps start with the 2011 order and then adjust based on average number of wins from the two seasons before. It would have to be some sort of accumulated stat because a team like Cleveland is going to have a relatively small number of 2011 wins but a lot of wins the two years before when they had LeBron. On the flip side, OK City had a lot of wins last season and the season before but was not a good team any year before then.