• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My Draft Review

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Round 2 - Pick 63 Frank Clark, DE Michigan

The Seahawks found themselves with an inconsistent pass rush last year, and though I really like O'Brien Schofield there really was a massive drop off from Avril/Bennett to the next set of guys. Cassius Marsh getting healthy and adding Clark will give the Seahawks 5 DEs who should see significant time in the rotation, which will allow them to pull back the number of snaps Avril/Bennett see to about 2013 levels, which should make them more productive.

My Grade - B+

I thought the OL was a bigger need than DL, but Clark fills a need/role that will help this team immensely. I am not as concerned as some about the off the field issues, so until it becomes a problem in Seattle, no problem here.

Round 3 - Pick 69 Tyler Lockett, WR Kansas State

Seattle saw what a truly quick WR who runs percise routes can do when Edelman hurt them in the Super Bowl. Lockett is quick, fast and can cut on a dime. His routes are solid and he seems to take a great deal of pride in running good routes, which not all speed guys do. He'll fit nicely in the slot and he's explosive in the return game. He should be an offensive threat.

My Grade - B+

Again, WR to me wasn't that big a need after the Graham deal, but in this case I am leary of how much it costed to move up to get him. I know that there isn't room for all the picks the Hawks had, but, that isn't necessarily a reason to throw them all at 1 3rd rounder.

Round 4 - Pick 130 Terry Poole, OL San Diego State

Poole seems to be exactly what the Seahawks like in an OLman, big and strong. He most likely isn't gonna be a LT, but he should be able to get some playing time everywhere else, and it's his versatility that will be a boon for Seattle.

My Grade - B

There doesn't seem to be much to complain about with this pick except that I wonder if he will become like some many other Cable coached linemen and be solid/great with the run and mediocre/horrible with the pass.

Round 4 - Pick 134 Mark Glowinski, OL West Virginia

People say he's a little raw, but he appears to be a great potential guy. He's another guy who looks like he'll be able to move around the line, which is always a plus.

My Grade - A-

You can never have too many linemen, and adding two mid round versitile linemen will help give the Seahawks some depth this year and a chance to see new talent really take a hold starting next year. I would have loved getting Granu at the end of the second, but PC and JS must not have been as high on him as I was. Seattle needed new linemen, and they added 2 before the end of the 4th, a good day I say.

Round 5 - Pick 170 Tye Smith, CB Towson

Comparisons to Richard Sherman have been bandied about, but the best thing for Smith is that (like Sherman) he will have the opportunity to sit a bit before being thrown into the fray. He should be a contributor early, just not sure if that means he'll be a starter.

My Grade - A

I really like this pick. He's a guy who should be able to help in the slot and in other areas right away, and should be able to develop into a solid CB for Seattle. He does come from a smaller school, so it could take a bit for him to adjust, but I think that this is a solid pick.

Round 6 - Pick 209 Obum Gwacham, DE Oregon State

With Seattle not carrying Bruce Irvin's option, there may be room for someone like Gwacham to make the transition to Irvin's position. He's more raw than Irvin, but I could see him having very similar skill sets that would allow the Seahawks to replace their starting linebacker next year cheaply.

My Grade - A

I've always been big into guys who can be coached into a high ceiling, if done right, they tend to end up like Richard Sherman. PC has a history of hitting on these types of defensive players.

Round 6 - Pick 214 Kristian Sokoli, DT Buffalo

Depth is depth, but I think it could be hard to crack through what is looking like a very crowded DT position.

My Grade - B

If he sticks then all's good, but he has to compete with Brandon Mebane, Jordan Hill, Tony McDaniels, Ahtyba Rubin, D'Anthony Smith, Jimmy Staten and Jesse Williams for however many spots there are.

Round 7 - Pick 248 Ryan Murphy, S Oregon State

Another late rounder for depth. Could be in line as the replacement for Jeron Johnson.

My Grade - B

Always glad to see competition and depth at even the strongest positions. Not sure Shead is a lock at the backup safety spot, so Murphy could make a move and stick with the team.

Overall Grade - A-

I think the Seahawks did a great job finding talent and filling holes. I could see at least 5 and possibly 7 of these picks sticking with the team, which is impressive with how deep Seattle already is.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice job blstocker. Always enjoy your write ups. As far as drafting a pass rusher, when OL had the most need, I think they felt it was easier to find OL this draft, then a pass rusher. They've been scouting Clark for a long time, obviously they feel he's going to be good, so they nabbed him.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice job blstocker. Always enjoy your write ups. As far as drafting a pass rusher, when OL had the most need, I think they felt it was easier to find OL this draft, then a pass rusher. They've been scouting Clark for a long time, obviously they feel he's going to be good, so they nabbed him.

My only real issue with the Clark pick was that Grasu was still there, and I liked Grasu better. In the end, it's a difference in strategy and I can't fault them one bit for taking a guy who should make it possible for the team to go back to their full rotation from a couple years ago.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Lockett trade-up came about as a result of having so many picks and being able to leverage some of them to move up; and the fact that they used so many picks to move up to that particular spot tells me that they must have thought he'd be long gone before their original 3rd round pick slot would have come up and didn't want to miss out on getting a guy they really liked who filled a need they really wanted to fill (return man/WR/Tate clone).

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sokoli ( DT ) is being moved to the Oline. He was drafted as a oline project and his position will be center. ( Cable does it once again -.- ) He won't be competing against any Dlineman only the olinemen.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only real issue with the Clark pick was that Grasu was still there, and I liked Grasu better. In the end, it's a difference in strategy and I can't fault them one bit for taking a guy who should make it possible for the team to go back to their full rotation from a couple years ago.
Do you agree that it seems with Clark's history of playing both Safety and DE that Carroll sees him as the Pro level Leo he has been looking for ever since he came here? (that Irvin has not developed into when he was supposed to be that). To me that makes him more than just a depth at DE. I mean he likely will be just that this season, but I think they believe he can be developed into that hybrid OLB/stand up DE they want.

If so, I'd give them a higher grade, but that's me. Not that a B+ is shabby by any means.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Lockett trade-up came about as a result of having so many picks and being able to leverage some of them to move up; and the fact that they used so many picks to move up to that particular spot tells me that they must have thought he'd be long gone before their original 3rd round pick slot would have come up and didn't want to miss out on getting a guy they really liked who filled a need they really wanted to fill (return man/WR/Tate clone).

I agree with this.
We really needed a return guy. Looks like we got one that does both PR & KR.
I like this pick a LOT.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also about moving up at the expense of picks. They got Poole and Glowinski with their next two picks and JS and PC draft history says that those two would have been their next two picks regardless of draft position.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you agree that it seems with Clark's history of playing both Safety and DE that Carroll sees him as the Pro level Leo he has been looking for ever since he came here? (that Irvin has not developed into when he was supposed to be that). To me that makes him more than just a depth at DE. I mean he likely will be just that this season, but I think they believe he can be developed into that hybrid OLB/stand up DE they want.

If so, I'd give them a higher grade, but that's me. Not that a B+ is shabby by any means.

That may be the long term, but I'm not sure that's the immediate reality. Him becoming LEO (which is something he will have to learn, so there's no guarantee that he'll be good at it) is more than likely 2-3 years in the future. I would love to see him pan out at whatever they have in mind for him.

As for Sokoli moving to Oline, I had heard something about that, but with that being the case I would still not give higher than a B and most likely would drop the grading a little. Sometimes I think that Cable gets too cute with who he wants at the line spots, and it has hurt the team from time to time. If he pans out, then great, but I'm still on the fence about whether Sweezy is a NFL starting quality guard, or if he just happens to be there as Cable's pet project - and this sounds like he wants to do it again.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether or not Clark pans out as a Leo to me isn't the point. It's what value they placed on the promise of it. Those that feel he was a reach are missing what value they place on any potential Leo. They placed a lot on Irvin and while he's been good at times, great now and then, and totally absent at others, he's really been a bust at picking up what a Leo is.

I don't think you can grade picks entirely until you see if they pan out. So all you can grade here is the potential and his is pretty high for having the skill set to do both roles of the Leo.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether or not Clark pans out as a Leo to me isn't the point. It's what value they placed on the promise of it. Those that feel he was a reach are missing what value they place on any potential Leo. They placed a lot on Irvin and while he's been good at times, great now and then, and totally absent at others, he's really been a bust at picking up what a Leo is.

I don't think you can grade picks entirely until you see if they pan out. So all you can grade here is the potential and his is pretty high for having the skill set to do both roles of the Leo.

I agree, and regardless if it's as a LEO or as a rotation DE, I think this pick allows them to play their defense the way they want to play, which is why I like this pick. He definitely has the potential to be a special player with a unique skillset.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That may be the long term, but I'm not sure that's the immediate reality. Him becoming LEO (which is something he will have to learn, so there's no guarantee that he'll be good at it) is more than likely 2-3 years in the future. I would love to see him pan out at whatever they have in mind for him.

As for Sokoli moving to Oline, I had heard something about that, but with that being the case I would still not give higher than a B and most likely would drop the grading a little. Sometimes I think that Cable gets too cute with who he wants at the line spots, and it has hurt the team from time to time. If he pans out, then great, but I'm still on the fence about whether Sweezy is a NFL starting quality guard, or if he just happens to be there as Cable's pet project - and this sounds like he wants to do it again.

Sweezy is the best value on our OL and has been since he was a rookie. Okung and Unger were much better at the quality aspect, but based upon contract costs and health, they are both terrible values.
The cap requires getting great value at certain positions so you can spend more freely on the guys your team is built around.
We run the ball 1st and foremost, so Sweezy's talent and value at run blocking warrant his starting position.
With an elusive QB like RW, I would prefer 5 OL made up of guys like Sweezy and Britt who are reliable and cost the team roughly $10M for the OL starters instead of one guy making that much who is unreliable in the health department.
We have to make concessions somewhere when looking purely at the cap.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sweezy is the best value on our OL and has been since he was a rookie. Okung and Unger were much better at the quality aspect, but based upon contract costs and health, they are both terrible values.
The cap requires getting great value at certain positions so you can spend more freely on the guys your team is built around.
We run the ball 1st and foremost, so Sweezy's talent and value at run blocking warrant his starting position.
With an elusive QB like RW, I would prefer 5 OL made up of guys like Sweezy and Britt who are reliable and cost the team roughly $10M for the OL starters instead of one guy making that much who is unreliable in the health department.
We have to make concessions somewhere when looking purely at the cap.

What does value have to do with what I was saying? Yes, Sweezy has been paid less compared to most everyone else on the line, but being cheaper isn't always a good thing (though I agree that paying someone more isn't always a good thing either). As for 5 guys under $10 million, you're gonna be pretty close to what you want, cause even with Okung making $7.2, our line comes in right around $10.5, no matter who wins the other starting spots. The team has invested next to nothing into the offensive line, and they perform like it nearly every week.

Now, as for his skill, I admit my comment may have been a little too harsh, Sweezy has development much better than I expected. He's definitely one dimensional (which is how Cable likes them), but he has earned his spot - albeit on one of the worst lines in the NFL. My concern is Cable pushing the Sokoli kid into a starting role too early to prove how much smarter he is than everyone, which he nearly did to Sweezy in 2012.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post,some friends and I were discussing Okung and he struggled last season in our opinions and we think he may not be around after this season.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does value have to do with what I was saying? Yes, Sweezy has been paid less compared to most everyone else on the line, but being cheaper isn't always a good thing (though I agree that paying someone more isn't always a good thing either). As for 5 guys under $10 million, you're gonna be pretty close to what you want, cause even with Okung making $7.2, our line comes in right around $10.5, no matter who wins the other starting spots. The team has invested next to nothing into the offensive line, and they perform like it nearly every week.

Now, as for his skill, I admit my comment may have been a little too harsh, Sweezy has development much better than I expected. He's definitely one dimensional (which is how Cable likes them), but he has earned his spot - albeit on one of the worst lines in the NFL. My concern is Cable pushing the Sokoli kid into a starting role too early to prove how much smarter he is than everyone, which he nearly did to Sweezy in 2012.
I'm just pointing out that with the right people in the right position, you can win often.
I like Sweezy. He is one tough SOB and I can't really remember him missing more than a game or 2 as a Seahawk. In the last 3 years, he has been the most reliable guy on the line.
The expense of a quality NFL guard would be a mid to low 1st round pick or spend about $4 or $5 M for a solid FA, IMO.
According to Cable Sokoli was drafted to switch to OL and especially compete at C. He was a 6th (?) rounder and with good fortune he makes the team but his odds of making the cut are against him.
It's all cool as we are all seahawk fans. I know you didn't slam Sweeze. I think I like him more than you.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just pointing out that with the right people in the right position, you can win often.
I like Sweezy. He is one tough SOB and I can't really remember him missing more than a game or 2 as a Seahawk. In the last 3 years, he has been the most reliable guy on the line.
The expense of a quality NFL guard would be a mid to low 1st round pick or spend about $4 or $5 M for a solid FA, IMO.
According to Cable Sokoli was drafted to switch to OL and especially compete at C. He was a 6th (?) rounder and with good fortune he makes the team but his odds of making the cut are against him.
It's all cool as we are all seahawk fans. I know you didn't slam Sweeze. I think I like him more than you.

True, I don't dislike Sweezy, just the tactic used to get him here. I think he's performed admirably, but I am not sure if he's more an exception than a rule - but Cable seems to think all his moves are made of gold. In the end, it's Cable I am more leary of. He's a really good coach, but his head can get in his way at times, IMO.

Sweezy has been one of the more healthy guys on the line the last 2 years, and though he played 13 games as a rookie, he got reserve snaps in most of those games, as he was on the field for only 295 snaps in 2012 (so I wouldn't say he was even near the most reliable guys that year). Sweezy does bring the bulldog attitude that used to come from Giacomini (without all the personal foul calls), which is good to have.