• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

In-Season Trade Thread.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
M's exchange an up and coming catcher with a .905 OPS right now in the minors and exchange him for a meh reliever and a 31y/o catcher that can't hit.

Seems Legit Martin Freeman GIF

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
M's exchange an up and coming catcher with a .905 OPS right now in the minors and exchange him for a meh reliever and a 31y/o catcher that can't hit.

Seems Legit Martin Freeman GIF
I was just about to look them up. You saved me the time though I had little hope of them being of value.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NEW YORK -- Right-hander Mike Baumann and minor league catcher Michael Pérez were acquired by the Seattle Mariners from the Baltimore Orioles on Wednesday for catcher Blake Hunt.

The 28-year-old Baumann was 1-0 with a 3.44 ERA in 17 relief appearances for the Orioles this season, striking out 16 and walking nine in 18 1/3 innings. He was designated for assignment on Saturday when the Orioles activated right-hander Grayson Rodriguez from the 15-day injured list.
Baumann is 13-5 with a 4.45 ERA in four starts and 90 relief appearances over four seasons with the Orioles. He was 10-1 with a 3.76 ERA in 60 relief appearances last season.

The 31-year-old Pérez hit .221 with two homers and 13 RBI in 21 games this year at Triple-A Norfolk. He has a .179 average with 15 homers and 61 RBI in six seasons with Tampa Bay (2018-20), Pittsburgh (2021-22) and the New York Mets (2022-23).

Hunt, 25, batted .293 with four homers and 20 RBI in 23 games this year with Triple-A Tacoma.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah no idea on their thinking cause they can keep all of these prospects and pray they work out but the chances are slim. They’ve shown they can draft pitchers, but Cal is the only offensive draftee that has been worth anything. They can’t help the injuries with Lewis and White but they didn’t work out.

They won’t be the Pirates cause they won’t trade all of them though but Cal, Kirby, Gilbert and Julio are all going to become super expensive soon and the tippy top prospects are years away and it is massively gambling that by the time they get to the bigs that none of the pitchers have had to had Tommy John especially with this new emphasis on the splitter.
Spending money in FA we're the Pirates of the west but yes holding on to these prospects is a huge gamble. As long as the Mariners are in WC contention, the owners will be happy turning a profit and that's the spot we're in.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spending money in FA we're the Pirates of the west but yes holding on to these prospects is a huge gamble. As long as the Mariners are in WC contention, the owners will be happy turning a profit and that's the spot we're in.
Well ya, I guess I misread the intent of your Pirates comment. My rebuttal is the Mariners have been a less successful Pirates their entire history. IMO being a WC contender every year isn’t any different than being a WC contender every few years. The goal should be to win the World Series which the Mariners have had one chance in 2001 and didn’t do anything to try to win.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well ya, I guess I misread the intent of your Pirates comment. My rebuttal is the Mariners have been a less successful Pirates their entire history. IMO being a WC contender every year isn’t any different than being a WC contender every few years. The goal should be to win the World Series which the Mariners have had one chance in 2001 and didn’t do anything to try to win.
Agreed and what really pisses me off the most is full stadiums equals money. Post season play equals more money yet bitch they don't have money to spend. If the FO would just spend some of it they would be raking in piles living the good life and giving us fans a winning product to support.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there even any point trading for an impact hitter when it seems as if Seattle is where bats go to die? Additionally, this poverty ass franchise won't shell out the money to extend them if they're near free agency.

The Mariners will be a perennial wild card contender (at best) until our few good young players will face free agency and we won't pay the money to extend them.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if they are willing to trade prospects, and spend money, who are the impact bats that are available? Outside of Alonzo, there really isn't all that much among hitters. You can cross off any player from a contending team. Likewise, you can cross off any team within our division. And you can cross off any player who is still in a team-friendly contract situation. Who does that leave? The three hitters I keep hearing over and over are Alonzo, Goldschmidt, and Arenado. Goldschmidt looks like he has hit the wall and Arenado isn't far behind him.

Alonzo will be the big fish and could very well end up in our division because the Rangers and Astros could both use him, in addition to the Mariners. I think the only other strong suitors are the Cubs and Brewers. Most of the rest of the contenders are locked in at first except the Yankees. Mets won't trade him to the Yankees.

Possible available players:
Brian Reynolds's name could re-surface despite his long-term contract. He seems to have hit his ceiling and Pirates have a lot of young stars that will need to get paid when they enter arbitration years. Pirates may move him.
Vlad Junior. He's a free agent after next season and he has not come close to duplicating the season he put up in 2021. Toronto may choose to
Just about anyone on the Cardinals, Mets, Rockies, and Blue Jays

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if they are willing to trade prospects, and spend money, who are the impact bats that are available? Outside of Alonzo, there really isn't all that much among hitters. You can cross off any player from a contending team. Likewise, you can cross off any team within our division. And you can cross off any player who is still in a team-friendly contract situation. Who does that leave? The three hitters I keep hearing over and over are Alonzo, Goldschmidt, and Arenado. Goldschmidt looks like he has hit the wall and Arenado isn't far behind him.

Alonzo will be the big fish and could very well end up in our division because the Rangers and Astros could both use him, in addition to the Mariners. I think the only other strong suitors are the Cubs and Brewers. Most of the rest of the contenders are locked in at first except the Yankees. Mets won't trade him to the Yankees.

Brian Reynolds's name could re-surface despite his long-term contract. He seems to have hit his ceiling and Pirates have a lot of young stars that will need to get paid when they enter arbitration years. Pirates may move him.
Vlad Junior. He's a free agent after next season and he has not come close to duplicating the season he put up in 2021. Toronto may choose to
I think Vlad and Bichette are two of the bigger names that might be dealt. I am not sure if the Cards are looking to trade away now. They have been on a bit of a roll I believe I heard. Please stay away from rentals.

White Sox I am sure are ready to deal. Angels, but not sure they have anything anyone wants. Marlins have a coupe bats of interest. So ya not a lot of teams, but I think there is a deal or two available. Will Jerry pull the trigger? LOL of course not.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Vlad and Bichette are two of the bigger names that might be dealt. I am not sure if the Cards are looking to trade away now. They have been on a bit of a roll I believe I heard. Please stay away from rentals.

White Sox I am sure are ready to deal. Angels, but not sure they have anything anyone wants. Marlins have a coupe bats of interest. So ya not a lot of teams, but I think there is a deal or two available. Will Jerry pull the trigger? LOL of course not.
If we're staying inside the division maybe Oakland would move Rooker. 29yrs old, doubt he's part of the long term plan when they get to Vegas.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we're staying inside the division maybe Oakland would move Rooker. 29yrs old, doubt he's part of the long term plan when they get to Vegas.
Good point. I didn't consider A's but I am sure they have a couple options to deal.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. I didn't consider A's but I am sure they have a couple options to deal.
I was figuring A's would be going into Vegas with a young team so maybe Jerry will send over a smoke signal if Rooker is available.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I think BB trades Rooker while his trade value is high. It is a very BBish-type move. But I don't think he trades him within the division.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I think BB trades Rooker while his trade value is high. It is a very BBish-type move. But I don't think he trades him within the division.
You're probably right but he does have 3 ARB years which is enticing. Hopefully Jerry kicks the tires a bit on him.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the Mariners should trade with the Marlins. They got a couple of OF’s and bullpen arms the Mariners should be able to get without giving up the top SS’s.

Vlad is a hard pass unless they take a quantity over quality. His ceiling for the past few years has been a 2021 Ty France.

Bo Bichette is very intriguing depending on the package. Trading for him and moving JP to 2B would be great for the team but for some reason they are stuck on having JP as the SS even though by every metric he has one of the weaker arms and is the worst SS in the league going to his right.

I’d like Alonso just because his power would play in Seattle. Again depending on the deal because he is a rental. If they made the deal for him tomorrow then I’m all for it. They need offense now not July 31st.

Robert is a hard pass. He is a more talented Mitch Haniger at his peak. When he is playing he can be the best player on the team but he is generally hurt most of the season.

My pie in the sky wish is Kyle Tucker but ain’t no way that’s happening. Maybe the Angels would be willing to part with Addell.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toronto GM:

“We have dialogue with them and that is something that will continue. We believe in them. We believe in their futures and hope that there’s a way they can play here for a long time,” Atkins said. “(A trade) just doesn’t make any sense for us. There will be occasional times, as you’re talking to other executives, that they’ll ask if we’ll consider, and we just say it’s not something that we have spent any time on. Because they’re so talented and such great teammates, they are attractive to other teams, so they will call. I was disappointed to see a report that that was something that another executive had commented on about our team, but it just doesn’t make sense.”