• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The core four all make over ten mil and what team that could fit one of them legitimately (I mean theoretically Vegas can by putting their whole defense on LTIR) would give up the assets to do it? It seems most logical that Marner would go first because his contract expires first, but would anyone really give up assets for a year of likely sulking and his dad being a prick?

Saw some Toronto writer suggest Kent Johnson and 4OA for him. For a year of potentially Jeff Carter 2.0? Fuck no.
I don’t see a big haul for Marner but in the regular season the guy puts up 90 pts a year and is a consistent two way player. It won’t be Tkachuk-sized but he would definitely command something decent on the trade market even if it’s limited by his NMC.

The list of “problem” guys in this league who went elsewhere and suddenly weren’t a problem is pretty long.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway, I think the most likely trade partners for Marner would be Anaheim and Nashville. Chicago an outside possibility but they’re still probably a year or two away from contending, not sure Mitch would see that as a good fit. The other two have a good chance to take a leap next year (plus I could see the Leafs taking a good run at Saros which could help move Mitch).

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway, I think the most likely trade partners for Marner would be Anaheim and Nashville. Chicago an outside possibility but they’re still probably a year or two away from contending, not sure Mitch would see that as a good fit. The other two have a good chance to take a leap next year (plus I could see the Leafs taking a good run at Saros which could help move Mitch).

I wonder if Utah would considering bringing Marner on board in the attempt to make a splash in their first year in Salt Lake City. Tre also likes to make trades with the Coyotes / Utah.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Utah would considering bringing Marner on board in the attempt to make a splash in their first year in Salt Lake City. Tre also likes to make trades with the Coyotes / Utah.
Are Utah there yet though? Even close?

And then what's the return? Coyotes don't have any extra first rounders and even if you think Mitch is a waste of space with all the known baggage that's still almost guaranteed to be something the Leafs need in return. Unless it's part of some bigger deal where the Leafs also get Keller but then why is Utah trading for Mitch while giving up their best player?

Just don't see a fit but who knows.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are Utah there yet though? Even close?

And then what's the return? Coyotes don't have any extra first rounders and even if you think Mitch is a waste of space with all the known baggage that's still almost guaranteed to be something the Leafs need in return. Unless it's part of some bigger deal where the Leafs also get Keller but then why is Utah trading for Mitch while giving up their best player?

Just don't see a fit but who knows.

There are some hockey pundits that are picking Utah to be a playoff team next season. Not sure if I agree, but they appear to be a team on the rise. You raise a good point BBB, would the return that the Leafs would be looking for improve Utah all that much? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some hockey pundits that are picking Utah to be a playoff team next season. Not sure if I agree, but they appear to be a team on the rise. You raise a good point BBB, would the return that the Leafs would be looking for improve Utah all that much? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I wouldn't be shocked that even though they already have a team Bettman will let them have a Expansion Draft to get them in the playoffs lol

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hockey gets little media attention down here (they talk Titans even during the playoffs) but having said that, there has been attenton to Marner.

The view down here is that NSH needs goal scorers more than setup men so not sure Marner would be the first choice. Although Mitch could make Forsberg a perennial 50+ goal man

The other factor could be O’Reilly and Schenn. They were brought in by Trotz for leadership as much as anything and as former teammates, gotta think their views would be requested.

If Toronto could get Saros for Marner, I would give Tre the W.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to believe how perfect a trade partner Nashville is. They need to move Saros because they really believe in Askarov, and need scoring punch.

And they somehow have the cap space despite still paying Johansen, Turris and Duchene around 10 mil total.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more comment on Marner in Nashville. The fanbase and probably management to a lesser extent have been burned by players not re-signing.. Unless he is locked up, he won’t be well received.

Oh his apparent price point won’t work either. With Forsberg at 8.5 and Josi at 9, I just don’t see the Preds meeting his salary demands, given his notorious playoff performances.

Marner will not be traded to Nashville.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marek says Marner, Rielly and Tavares are all on the table.

I think they can trade the first two. I honestly have no idea what role Rielly fills on a good blue line but I am confident some GM is dumb enough to find it.

I don’t think there’s any chance they can move Tavares nor does it make sense even if they eat half his deal.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marek says Marner, Rielly and Tavares are all on the table.

I think they can trade the first two. I honestly have no idea what role Rielly fills on a good blue line but I am confident some GM is dumb enough to find it.

I don’t think there’s any chance they can move Tavares nor does it make sense even if they eat half his deal.
So, Edmonton, then?

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Todd McLellan's name is resurfacing as a contender for the Leafs head coaching vacancy...