• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cleveland Cavaliers - Utah Jazz Game Thread.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both of these teams suck to start the 3rd.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foye makes a 3.

The PA plays an "ambulance siren" noise.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just like that, it's 54-65.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Millsap bricks a jumper.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice drive by Waiters.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jefferson travels.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Cavs can come back, the Jazz frontcourt looks better tonight.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice chatting with you today, Shanemansj13. Good luck until next time.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not too big on expecting much from the draft, even for top 5 picks.

The average NBA career is 4.7 years, and when I look at past drafts, about 1/2 of lottery picks are either out of the league, or 3rd stringers, within 5 years.

The better way to rebuild is to get some decent FAs, they're a little more reliable.

The NFL is different than the NBA. In the NFL, it is cheaper to develop a player than to sign a FA because FA's are more expensive than drafted players. But in the NBA, you are allowed to offer more than anyone else to retain your players on your squad. So, theoretically, a drafted player could be more expensive.

However, by and large, great players are never allowed to go to free agency - when I say allowed, I don't mean permission, I mean the team will offer enough to keep extending. In the NBA, players like LeBron and Deron turned down big pay extensions so they could be a free agent at terms end. A risk for injury, but allows movement and checking out other options. In the NFL, the risk is so high that you tend to extend when you can, unless you are a fringe player that postseason play could help. Of course, teams don't want to commit unless you are established or cheap. NFL teams can cut a player and the player only gets the guaranteed. Some contracts don't have anything significant guaranteed, if at all.

Alex Smith was offered a contract with little guaranteed money (basically just the first year). He didn't sign it, either because he knew they were going to go after Peyton Manning or he didn't like the terms. After Manning went to the Broncos, the Niners upped the guaranteed by 1-2 million, not significant. But then, they made a certain amount guaranteed if he's on the roster past April 1 (each year, maybe?). That was a "start me or release me" addition. Making it expensive to make him sit. He didn't want to be relegated to the backup spot and kept there. NFL players can't cut themselves, if they quit they can't play anywhere else for the duration of the contract. Who would sign a player who quit? Obviously, if they had kept Smith this year and then gave the spot to Kaep after April 1, Alex would have to sit, but be paid a lot for a backup.

Now that he's replaced early, chances are they will release him, allowing him to go shop around. If he had signed the first deal, they could have kept him as a backup for cheap. It would be an incentive based deal that he couldn't meet due to not playing enough to make the incentives. Now, they could keep him as a backup for a lot of money, saying that the new guy plus his salary is about the same as other teams pay for QBs total. But then, why not save 8 million if you are going to play someone else anyways? They'll also try to trade him. The contract he signed is low for starters and high for a backup, so if a team wants to start him, it's a good contract to trade for.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in the NBA, it's also expensive to sign FAs, it's just you're more likely to get a successful player also. Or get a player that will play well.

Whereas the draft is cheaper, but also results in more players you don't really need to keep, and would trade away or not resign them at some point. More average players.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shanemansj13, I don't know if you're still checking this thread, but one incident from the Cavs still bugs me.

Ilguskas made the All-Star game in 2003. Yet he only played 3 minutes, 57 seconds.

Someone made a comment that maybe it was because East All-Star coach held a grudge from some Pistons-Cavs rivalry.

But that was a huge injustice. All the injuries Ilgauskas went through, he finally makes a ASG, and plays the least amount of minutes I've ever seen anyone healthy play. (Sometimes a player will be banged up and request to not play much, but that wasn't the case with him).

I wanted to see him have his moment at the ASG.

Also, do you have any fun memories from Daughtery-Malone or Price-Stockton matchups?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shanemansj13, I don't know if you're still checking this thread, but one incident from the Cavs still bugs me.

Ilguskas made the All-Star game in 2003. Yet he only played 3 minutes, 57 seconds.

Someone made a comment that maybe it was because East All-Star coach held a grudge from some Pistons-Cavs rivalry.

But that was a huge injustice. All the injuries Ilgauskas went through, he finally makes a ASG, and plays the least amount of minutes I've ever seen anyone healthy play. (Sometimes a player will be banged up and request to not play much, but that wasn't the case with him).

I wanted to see him have his moment at the ASG.

Also, do you have any fun memories from Daughtery-Malone or Price-Stockton matchups?

IMO, Ilgauskas had other seasons where he got jipped. And he has had foot problems his whole career, but still a very good career. I agree, I thought he shOuld hVe his time with all his hard work.

I grew up in 90's. I don't remember Daughtry and Price too much. I remember The Mailman and Stockton always playn Jordan and the Bulls in the Finals. I remember always cheering for the Jazz with Hornacek, Russell, and those guys. I hated MJ. But I grew up watching Shawn Kemp, Ilgauskas, Danny Ferry, etc.

I was probably to young to the greats Price and Daughtry in their prime.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, Ilgauskas had other seasons where he got jipped. And he has had foot problems his whole career, but still a very good career. I agree, I thought he shOuld hVe his time with all his hard work.

I grew up in 90's. I don't remember Daughtry and Price too much. I remember The Mailman and Stockton always playn Jordan and the Bulls in the Finals. I remember always cheering for the Jazz with Hornacek, Russell, and those guys. I hated MJ. But I grew up watching Shawn Kemp, Ilgauskas, Danny Ferry, etc.

I was probably to young to the greats Price and Daughtry in their prime.

Thanks.

Yeah he had foot problems early in his career, from from about 2003 and later, he remained very healthy.